Mike in Arizona

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
aavisual

Mike in Arizona

Post by aavisual »

Hello ya' all, just a quick intro.... As you can see I am in sunny AZ, USA. I am 48 now, tried on my first skirt for holloween at age 6 (knew is was something I would like already). After a long dry spell, regained interest in my early 30's. Now been wearing skirts as strictly casual wear for 15 or so years. I own some rare standard Utilikilts, some of the first 500 ever made (before the front flap) they had pleats completely around. One called the Hawaiian made of rayon... another in camo.. In the hot weather I prefer linen. I have long skirts by Tripp and sarongs (don't wear sarongs that much anymore, too informal), I am fascinated by the variety of styles and designs that a skirted garment can come in. Being only 5'6 with a 31 waist, a 15" - 17" mini fits perfectly. I am also a great fan of Mountain Hardwear's "Mountain Kilt", a wrap skirt that is made for men (hemmed mine for a more appropriate shorter length). I certainly hope that Mountain Hardwear continues initiating skirts/kilts for men here in the US...this is a great breakthrough we should all support with our dollars and comments to the company. I do venture into the public realm without a care wearing whatever feels right for me at the time, (in a very tasteful way) and have had many experiences. I have much encouragement and support from my GF who likes also to share fashion ideas and items with me. Family and friends have all shared opinions at one time or another. But as far as fashion freedom... the pleasure is all mine! I hope to become an occasional poster here to show my support to you all and share some fashion ideas that could help make our image one of a positive nature. Be strong! Heck' it's only clothes... you can still be masculine and design a fashion for yourself. ~Mike
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Mike in Arizona

Post by skirtyscot »

Well hello and welcome, Mike!
aavisual wrote:I do venture into the public realm without a care wearing whatever feels right for me at the time, (in a very tasteful way) and have had many experiences ... Family and friends have all shared opinions at one time or another.
Experinces? Opinions? Mostly favourable I hope! Do tell!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Uncle Al

Re: Mike in Arizona

Post by Uncle Al »

:welcome:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)