My introduction

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
kiwi_bloke

My introduction

Post by kiwi_bloke »

Hi, I have been browsing here for a while, so I thought I would introduce myself,
I am aged 40, from NewZealand, have worn kilts in public for about 10 years and have started wearing denim skirts, mainly ankle to calf length.
I have never had anyone comment on me wearing a skirt, but have had many people stare and ignore me.
When I have worn a kilt, I have had many people ask me about the different tartans I have and if I am Scottish.
The main comment I have heard from children is " why are you wearing a dress ", when wearing a kilt.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: My introduction

Post by Big and Bashful »

Hi, like you, I like denim and kilts, I also like longer denim skirts. Currently wearing a knee length cargo, but also got the same skirt in both calf length and an ankle length, both made to order for me. Walking around Glasgow in the long cargo skirts barely gets a look, the same goes for service stations and superstores around Glasgow, I will probably wear one to the Scottish 'meet' somewhere in Stirling, currently being arranged. Welcome to this forum!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
azhiker

Post by azhiker »

I also like to wear the denim skirt although i like the mid thigh length. I try to find cargo skirts but cannot find them at any stores here in Phoenix, Arizona. Thanks for posting.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Hi and welcome, KB. I'm another guy who's into long skirts. Currently on the lookout for a denim one that fits and looks right!

Interesting that your skirts never elicit any comment but your kilts sometimes do! Any theories as to why?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
kiwi_bloke

Post by kiwi_bloke »

Around where I live most of the schools have tartan kilts as part of their uniform, so I guess most people associate the kilt with girl's wear. Have been working out of town lately and took yesterday off. I went for a walk on one of the local walking tracks, wearing a long denim skirt, most people seemed to not even notice, got a second look from a couple of people, but one women about mid 20's kept looking, she looked most displeasing.
ethelthefrog
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ethelthefrog »

My guess is that kilts (explicitly men's clothing) are fine to talk about, and make a talking point because, although they are undoubtedly male, they are unusual. Skirts, on the other hand, are seen as female clothing, and people might be a little too embarrassed about it, so simply pretend it's not there.

And when I say "not there", I probably mean something else.

In other news, welcome to the cafe.

Paul.
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtRevolution »

I am from Australia so let me say welcome cousin :D
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

A big welcome too from a fellow New Zealander!
I am in Auckland and wear my skirts and dresses all the time (I have no kilts or tartan) and either get big ups from pedestrians or friendly toots from the odd motorist as I walk about. Nothing derogatory at all that I can detect, mostly people don't seem to notice, in shops, supermarket etc..
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

Welcome to the show. I favour denims over other materials, simply because I rarely have to dress up for smart occasions. My lengths are mainly around the knee but, at 65 and beginning to look odd in anything too short, which unfortunately I prefer, I keep a couple of shorter ones for knocking around the home in during the warmer months.
As a kilt user I seldom receive or hear any verbal reactions. My own period of tentative use of either skirts or kilts ended a couple of years ago after I realised no-one really gives a hoot what I wear. I guess most who do notice will quickly make their own minds up, or assumptions, as to my reasons. Having to explain to all who gawp would be a lifetime's mission, so I don't even bother. Most will no doubt consider our actions as being of extreme minority interest and without stronger backing of the clothing industry to add a little clout I accepted some time ago that my friends and relatives would never fully understand my choices anyway.
Being single I can do what I like without a partner throwing their objections in, so I just get on with it, and enjoy it :D .
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I'd not think you'd have any problems there, don't the Maori men wear Sulu or LavaLava type men's garments?? :mrgreen:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

mugman wrote: ... at 65 and beginning to look odd in anything too short ...
... says man in a skirt! :D :D

Go for it! Wear whatever feels good! It's as well to be hung for a sheep as for a lamb.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Since1982 wrote:I'd not think you'd have any problems there, don't the Maori men wear Sulu or LavaLava type men's garments?? :mrgreen:
No, before us lot arrived they used to wear a kind of grass skirt and feather cloaks from a now extict bird. Nowadays the same stuff as the rest of us. You do see blokes from the Pacific islands in lava-lavas, especially on Sundays for church.

"kiwi_bloke": let's see a photo of your skirted self..