Please allow me to introduce myself

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Please allow me to introduce myself

Post by Daryl »

I'm a man of wealth and taste.

Well, 1 out of 2 ain't bad.

What the heque does one do to seriously introduce oneself around here? Hmm, maybe some bio stuff, then a bunch of random thoughts...yeah, that's the ticket.

Canadian, Toronto & elsewhere, big 'n tall, started out in electronics and currently in computer & communications management, builds electronic toys for a hobby when not catching up on Bollywood movies, rides motorcycles and/or scooters as transportation not personal statement, not planning to change sexes but low attachment to gender identity in self or others...just doesn't matter as much as all the fuss made over it, it seems. Doesn't like the word "fashion", thinks we're actually here to discuss garment choices not fashion choices...take that Jean Paul Gaultier (but hey, thanks for The Fifth Element, seriously!) Can fix almost anything, especially if you're willing to wait and pay enough. Makes some of own garments...a sewing machine is just another power tool, eh?

Umm, the idea of "skirted get togethers" makes me kind of queasy since we're all men here. (right?) Could totally go for skirted men flash mobs or charity walks, though. Might even travel to attend such.

Not sure anything I could say about why I wear a skirt would be 100% true. Comfort, definitely. Realisation of a curiosity arising from wondering what it feels like and not being willing to accept "I'll never know" for an answer just because I have a Y chromosome, certainly. Still, that curiosity doesn't go so far as wondering what those ghastly things called "bubble skirts" are like to wear. Some ideas are too dumb to be allowed to live even as memes. Rebellion, somewhat. Not rebellion in the adolescent sense but rather in the gender equality sense...men wearing skirts empowers women as well as men when ya think about it. For women skirts have become more a statement confirming sex-object status than a mere garment choice. Ask them. It's true. That's why so many only wear pants, not even comfy, longer, practical skirts. Younger women seem to be breaking out from that, God bless their souls. Am I the only one who is totally impressed by the younger crop of women in every way, BTW? It seems all the stuff we did to make them feel empowered actually worked! Dang, I don't like the idea of social engineering but it's hard to ignore success. I'm impressed with young people in general, actually, but being an older guy it's the change in women that stands out more for me.

Music: Skinny Puppy, Black Sabbath, Ministry, Dead Can Dance, Enigma, Bollywood, Kraftwerk, Daft Punk, Human League, Japan, Lisa Gerrard, Johnny Cash, Bob Marley, Santana, Zappa, Pigface, Doors, Talking Heads, Shriekback, Loreena McKennitt, Coke Studio...

Films: Zoolander, Fifth Element, 30 Days of Night, Bridget Jones Diary, Starship Troopers, Princess Bride, Evil Dead trilogy, Love Actually, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Kill Bill, Om Shanti Om, The Matrix, They Live, Logan's Run, Solaris, Dawn of the Dead, Magnolia, Aliens, My Name is Khan, Paheli, Mothman Prophecy, Pale Rider...

Film Makers: Michael Bay, Paul Thomas Anderson, John Carpenter, David Cronenberg, James Cameron, Kathryn Bigelow, Farah Khan...

TV Box Sets: The Wire, Battlestar Galactica, Entourage, Lexx, Trailer Park Boys, Intelligence, Buffy, Space Above and Beyond, Invasion, Firefly, Wonderfalls...

Literature: John Wyndham, Frank Herbert, Tanith Lee, um, lots of others...oh, vintage National Semiconductor manuals.

Games: poker, full contact cribbage, Angry Birds

Least favourite philosophical position: essentialism

Politics: Freedom, baby, yeah! With responsibility. Monarchist. Seriously. Liberal or conservative depending on the lighting and position of the stars. Believe in universal public health insurance and education. Don't believe in wars on drugs or in mandatory personal flotation devices. Believe in carbon taxation but not property tax. Strongly believe in bicycle riding and the right of bicycle riders to pay for their own roads and be licenced to ride. Pro-nuke, anti-radiation. Own a solar-wind powered clothes-drying array. Believe in gun control but not the long-gun registry. Not big on "rights" enshrined in constitutions. Trust tradition and the human heart more than cold principles.

Food: hard to say "no". Can't decide if I prefer Indian or West Indian curry. Not above a feast of Kraft Dinner. Ontario peaches in-season are evidence for the existence of God.

People: Happen to love crowds. Feel safer in crowds than in doughnut shops, but generally feel safe everywhere. Despise line jumpers but none have made me do something that would land me in jail...yet.

Religion: gate gate paragate....

Pants: cargo, cotton, black or khaki. Detest denim jeans.

Least favourite hat: baseball cap

Most desired car I can't afford: Tesla Roadster

Most desired motorcycle I'd like to find cheap: Suzuki Bergman

Values: solidarity, duty, courage, compassion, loyalty, equanimity, respect, honesty, manners, humour...probably the highest value IMO

Pets: cats, especially ones that offer me the kill (which I turn down politely)

Computers: Vax/VMS, WinNT, Android...seems a logical progression to me

Favourite character set: UTF-8

Least favourite encoding: quoted printable

I think I've revealed enough.
Daryl...
Uncle Al

Re: Please allow me to introduce myself

Post by Uncle Al »

Hi and :welcome:

Your in grand company here with all of the "geek-y" stuff as well as anything motorized.

Have fun :D and hope to read you often :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtRevolution »

Hey daryl,

Its great to have you here and welcome.
klaatu

Post by klaatu »

Welcome fellow Canadian skirter. Welcome to SkirtCafe! Nice to see somebody else from my neck of the woods on this board. I wear skirts all the time. In public they are more conservative (kilts, jean skirts, cargo skirts or anything else that is "manly") But at home I like to experiment with garments.. My aim is to see how manly I can look in anything that has previously been considered too feminine for a male.
I live in a small town just south of Sarnia. I would really like to get together with other skirters from our area and get connected. I too am a bit of a techy. I have been into computers since the early 90's and have been educated and have educated others in electronics.
Again... welcome and enjoy.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Wow! What an intro! Welcome to this here cafe...
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Hi Daryl,

Thanks for the comprehensive introduction.

I have to confess that after your thread title I expected to read "...I'm a man of wealth and taste". Maybe that's a reflection on my own musical heritage.

Have fun here,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
luvtoskirt

Post by luvtoskirt »

That was the best introduction I ever read anywhere. I wish I knew myself that well.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I'm not smart enough to create 27 paragraphs to welcome you with, so two will have to do.

:welcome: Daryl, :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/