Hello from the west of Scotland

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Hello from the west of Scotland

Post by skirtyscot »

I've been lurking for a wee while but I have decided it's time to sign up and speak up!

I'm a long-time would-be skirt wearer and I've worn some in private when the opportunity has arisen, but now I'm trying to pluck up the courage to go public. I've owned a kilt for years and as I only wear it on the usual sort of occasions when you expect to see kilts in Scotland - weddings, ceilidhs, etc - that is unremarkable and doesn't count as wearing a skirt. (I once wore it to a wedding in Brighton, not realising it was becoming trendy among the large gay community there, but that's another story!) Buoyed by the stories here from several members about how the world continued to turn when they first wore a skirt in public, I have taken some bigs steps in that direction, which I will tell you all about some time soon. Others' experiences have been helpful to me and hopefully mine will be of use or interest to someone else. But for now it's just a "hello" as it's too late at night for any more, and I type slowly.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hello from the west of Scotland

Post by couyalair »

skirtyscot wrote:... Buoyed by the stories here from several members about how the world continued to turn when they first wore a skirt in public, I have taken some bigs steps in that direction...
I think that is probably the most useful aspect of these forums.
which I will tell you all about some time soon.
Looking forward to reading all about it!
... I type slowly.
Best way to type; you'll make less mistakes than I do!

Plenty of gays here too, but I have yet to meet any that approve of my kilts; in fact they seem to voice the most disdain.

Martin
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

couyalair wrote:Plenty of gays here too, but I have yet to meet any that approve of my kilts; in fact they seem to voice the most disdain.
I'd heard that elsewhere, though I've no idea why. You might think that being in a minority they might have empathy for other minorities, but apparently not.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

skirtyscot wrote:
couyalair wrote:Plenty of gays here too, but I have yet to meet any that approve of my kilts; in fact they seem to voice the most disdain.
I'd heard that elsewhere, though I've no idea why. You might think that being in a minority they might have empathy for other minorities, but apparently not.
They gay community, striving for acceptance even now, is guarded about what it "owns", as normality and perception of normality is a big part of that striving. A lot of gay guys are equally opposed to the identification of leather-culture with gay though it's hard to deny that it is a porous interface with non-gay leather-culture.

Nevertheless, if gay folks pioneer the way, as they often do, I won't be ashamed that it took their mass influence to make the manskirt available in department stores...
Daryl...
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

But if they are the most disdainful, then that is unlikely. It is up to everyone who wants to be skirted!

Can't honestly say I am pulling my weight yet. :oops:
Keep on skirting,

Alastair