Hello from London

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
fingertrouble

Hello from London

Post by fingertrouble »

I love Kilts but not made the splash...but will do so later in the year most definitely for a wedding (my partner is a Lindsay) but also want to wear one before them - i DJ, would be great to DJ in one!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hello from London

Post by Kirbstone »

Welcome Fingertrouble. Look up Kilted Musician. He plays vibes in a jazz band and wears kilts while gigging with his band 'De Jazz Vu'
Tom K..
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
TomH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TomH »

fingertrouble wrote:I love Kilts but not made the splash...but will do so later in the year most definitely for a wedding (my partner is a Lindsay) but also want to wear one before them - i DJ, would be great to DJ in one!
I believe you would be much more comfortable and look better with some practice before the wedding event. Most of us have found we gain knowledge by doing and this subject is certainly one where that is true.

I found the first time scary and have gained so much confidence now, it's hard to remember I'm wearing something not the norm for men in the USA. I'm sure some guys in the UK will jump in here and agree.

Welcome to to the cafe. You'll find lots of help and like minds here.

Tom
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Hello Fingertrouble,

And welcome to our corner of Cyberspace. I have worn kilts in and skirts around London many times without incident, however I would caution you slightly against a tartan kilt if you are out in the evening as a couple of times I have seen folks asked if they were part of a bachelor party / stag night and refused entry to clubs. Plain kilts and other skirts have never produced any adverse reaction at all. I did ask one doorman about this (having just witnessed a refusal) and was told that they had had so many stag parties arrive dressed in kilts then get tanked up to the point that they became a problem that they now tended to refuse to let anyone in a tartan kilt in unless they were in a couple or a mixed group. I should probably mention that at the time I was in a business suit as I was on my way home from a meeting that had over run badly so I'd stopped to eat with friends before braving the traffic.

Like TomH I would recommend getting some practise in before the wedding. Kilts are odd garments and will grab your attention until you get used to wearing them. The sheer weight of a god kilt is astonishing, even a cheap polyester one feels heavy at first.

Have fun and don't forget to let us know how you get on,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
fingertrouble

Post by fingertrouble »

Thanks for the advice - I didn't know some clubs refuse tartan kilts, pretty sure that won't be a problem for the gay clubs I go to since those stag parties avoid those like the plague LOL - but it might be an issue for other places...shame cos after my new black kilt I want a Lindsay one - my partner's tartan as I think I mentioned.

I did make the splash and in rather dramatic style, a last minute purchase I got a kilt and DJ'd at Bootie London at The Shoreditch in it...yes I was nervous especially on the tube (yes sitting down, a minefield LOL) but interestingly I was more hot from the leather vest than I was the kilt, it was quite cool down there, and wonderful to dance in. Definitely going to be rocking a kilt out in future!

Here's what I looked like: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fingertrou ... 6560081944 believe me I don't usually look like that! But Bootie is a mashup party from SF and the promoters dress up, and in Shoreditch you can get away with a lot...still got a lot of nice comments from strangers and even hugs for wearing a kilt (and thankfully no pesky drunk people trying to check if I was wearing it 'true' as I've seen a friend have in a bar in London a few years ago)

Oh and I had a question about my name...strangely some people think it's rude but I'm not aware of any rude connotation or slang - and believe me I have a dirty mind if needed and I can't think of an alternate usage, it's a phrase my dad uses for user/keyboard error - he indeed was in the RAF as a radar engineer as this definition points out the first usages were from there: http://www.doubletongued.org/index.php/ ... r_trouble/
ethelthefrog
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ethelthefrog »

Welcome to the cafe. We're a mixed bunch, mostly from the US and the UK (and Ireland), but with a number of others too. We're just as varied as the general population.

I can't see a problem with "fingertrouble", and use the term myself to describe mis-hit keys.

That black kilt/leather waistcoat look is very fine indeed and a splendid DJ look. I salute you, sir.

Paul.