From a woman who had her heart stolen by a skirted man

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
kodiak

From a woman who had her heart stolen by a skirted man

Post by kodiak »

I am a pre 1840's fur trade era reenactor and a woman in the proccess of a divorce, when at an event I met a gentleman that turned my head. He came to my encampment late one evening after a little R&R and was wearing a kilt. Well to be honest I have always had a soft spot for men in kilts but his intrests where in what I potrade and the encampment while mine where on him. He and I talked about the kilt as part of his heritage and then he blurted out that he also wore skirts. My reply startled him when I said really and that I didn't think that there was much differance in a skirt and a kilt. With my relaxed view and exceptance of this fact we started dating. When we get together the first thing I do is to encourage him to change into a skirt. We even went out to eat together and I encouraged him to wear a skirt. I find that he is more relaxed and himself because he is comfotable. Women have been wearing mens cloths and taking over mens jobs for a good while now so that the man has really nothing to call his own. The man that is the receptionist, the secetary or the nurse is scorned and ridicueled for what, not living up to a sterio type. Maybe the women need to start living up to their sterio type or shut up. Also it is not likely that a man is going to wear a skirt that a 3/4 length coat can hide and nothing is left to the imagination like the women of today. I am proud to call a skirted man my best friend and we are even talking about marriage in the next few years. More power to the man that is not afraid to express his true self.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Re: From a woman who had her heart stolen by a skirted man

Post by couyalair »

An interesting story, and an encouraging one for those who think women may not like men in skirts.

Martin
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Hi Kodiak,

Welcome to the Cafe and thanks for sharing your perspective with us. Interestingly this is in complete agreement with a conversation I had at the local suermarket this morning. I was waiting at the checkout when a near neighbour joined the queue behind me. We hav said "Hi" as we passed in the street and while walking our respective dogs, but had never had a conversation beyond that.

After an initial conversation about the weather (-2C, 28F this morning) she suddenly said "I like your... uh..." while looing at the ankle length black skirt I was wearing (pictured here). "Skirts?" I offered. She answered yes but that she had not known what to call them to avoid causing offence. She went on to say that she loves seeing me around in a variety of different skirts from fairly short to near floor length and that she knows a number of other women in the area also like it, because they have talked about my sartorial choices. I had no idea that I was a topic of conversation in the village, but have to confess that our conversation gave me a lift.

Have fun here (and once again welcome),

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

Welcome to Skirtcafe.
Thats a great story and its wonderful to hear of a lady who is supportive of her man friend's clothing choice.
BTW I am wondering whether you take your user handle after the Kodiak aeroplane?
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
kodiak

Post by kodiak »

Sorry the name is in referance to the kodiak bear which being part native american is my spirit totem. Also the gentleman in the story is a member of this site and is the one that encouraged me to join and tell our story and my point of view.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Welcome aboard kodiak,

Your introductory story is encouraging indeed, and I hope you do well with your new interest. You've got a brave one there. All too many guys are outright afraid to put on anything other than the uniform of trousers (or worse, jeans) lest they pick up ridicule; the sad part is that once out and about, abuse and ridicule are astonishingly rare -- appreciation and curiosity, however, seem to be in abundance.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
kodiak

Post by kodiak »

The trick is for the man to go out in to public he has to act with confidence and not show that he is uncomfortable or scared. If we walks with pride and acts like nothing is different and that it is common place for a man to wear a skirt, his confidence will cause less ridicuel and bring more people to talk to him instead. Yes you may get the whispers but it is nothing to worry about because being a woman I can dress up and get good or bad feed back depending on how I present myself and the whispers are just those that are to scared to ask or are doing it themselves and to afraid to admit it. Also A good support person or team is good the first few times you go out. If you have a confidant that does not see you as a man in a skirt but there friend and does not care one way or another, then use them to feed off of to build your confidence. The man that hides in his house and wears "womens" clothing is less excepted that the man that wears them out in public and say this is me deal with it.
skirted

Post by skirted »

You will have to watch out for Kodiak, as she takes after the Bear. I know because i am the one in here life, and can tell you she has sharp teeth. We did go out for a meal one night and i had a skirt on and no comments but did get some second looks.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirted wrote:[Kodiak and I] did go out for a meal one night and i had a skirt on and no comments but did get some second looks.
Second looks are part of being a guy in a skirt; you just have to get used to them. If you're not up to having attention paid to you, then I'd posit that wearing a skirt in public may be a bit of a ways off for you. But the comments one receives -- and most are positive -- can be wonderful.

Long may the both of you be happy!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Hey Skirted, find me one like Kodiak please. An old man needs a companion to help sew torn skirts and other goodies. I promise to love her all her/my life. 8)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
kodiak

Post by kodiak »

Here is a thought there is rendezvous all over the united states and there are historical reenactors guilds all over the world and from what I have noticed there are allot of single women out there. Also the good thing is that in these historic guilds they know that men in history wore them and also are likely to be more open to your skirted ways. Something to try out next summer.
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

Second looks are part of being a guy in a skirt; you just have to get used to them. If you're not up to having attention paid to you, then I'd posit that wearing a skirt in public may be a bit of a ways off for you. But the comments one receives -- and most are positive -- can be wonderful.
Those second looks and comments would be much easier to accept when you have a companion who supports you and your style.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

rick401r wrote:Those second looks and comments would be much easier to accept when you have a companion who supports you and your style.
True enough, but this wonderfully happy thread gives evidence that some women -- perhaps more than we might imagine -- not only accept, but appreciate, guys who have the confidence and wherewithal to be different from the herd. Kodiak and skirted's story is inspirational, and so is Milfmog's.

Now, I am not saying that we should force this style choice on our significant others; that would be both selfish and unfair. What I am saying is that the door is now open more than just a crack, and is certainly not bolted shut the way it was 30 years ago.
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

Wow, I haven't posted on here for a long time (maybe that's a good thing, knowing me, lol) so sorry, but I would just say I sure envy Kodiak's significant other for having found a lady who supports him in his clothing choice! What good fortune! :mrgreen: