Hello from Milton Keynes

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hello from Milton Keynes

Post by Kirbstone »

Having lived in the UK for all of 23 years I have personal experience with two items mentioned.
1/The famous Milton Keynes' Concrete Cows. M. K. is a well planned large town laid out in the '60's, I think, but it was made famous by the amazing sculpted cows by the main shopping mall. Our children attended the Avril Dankworth Summer music camps at nearby Wavendon over a period of 10 years. The late Johnny Dankworth had a fine pile, in the gounds of which stand 'The Stables', where everything happens.
2/The West Scottish midges. Visiting a learned friend retired in Camuscross, overlooking the Sound of Sleat on Skye in July was an open invitation to be eaten alive by the aforementioned. No wonder the Scots don't sit out on their non-existant terraces quaffing 'sundowners'. To go for a walk we had to dress up like beekeepers, the helmets having an even finer mesh to keep the little beggars out!
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
ethelthefrog
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ethelthefrog »

Skirthead wrote:thank yew ethel, yew made me feel like a complete fool. sorry but i dont live in the uk and wudnt know that.
Since1982 wrote:I don't think Ethel was trying to embarrass you when he said that, probably just not thinking how it would be percieved.
Skip has it right. Looks like I put my foot in my mouth again. I am, sometimes, rather too concise for my own good. I didn't mean to imply that you should have heard of Milton Keynes (and it certainly does look rather like a person's name). In stating that it's famous for its annoying traffic features (roundabouts), I was pointing out the fact that it's not really famous for anything; most people who haven't lived at least ten years in the UK will have no reason to have heard of it. I guess my humour was a little too UK-centric. Sorry about that.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I also don't live in the UK and always thought "roundabouts" were like "roustabouts" in a circus, but in a carnival or street fair instead. Please let me know what you are referring to as a "roundabout". :D :D
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Since1982 wrote:Please let me know what you are referring to as a "roundabout". :D :D
We in the States know them as "traffic circles" or sometimes "rotaries" (although the latter is supposedly a New England term).

They're wonderful traffic-control devices for intersections, but they require active participation and cooperation by drivers; but since those qualities are increasingly lacking in drivers, the time-honoured circle is being phased out in favour of stop-lights and 90-degree intersections..
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Since1982,

In the U.S. traffic turns to the right going into, and out of,
a round-about. In the U.K. traffic turns to the left.

The following info is from the Moultrie Observer, Moultrie Ga.
Moultri Observer wrote:The roundabout addresses a traffic problem at one of the city’s most
dangerous intersections, a five-way junction involving busy Fourth Avenue
Northeast and growing Rowland Drive.

A vehicle will enter the roundabout at a yield sign, stopping only for other
traffic already in the roundabout. Then it will drive counterclockwise (to the right)
until getting to the street where it needs to go, then it will leave the roundabout
with a right turn.
This is the direct link to the full article.

Hope this info helps :)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

They needed one of those "roundabouts" in Manhattan, NYC, New York at the famous 5 street mishmash called "5 points" since 1853.

Five Points (or The Five Points) was a notorious slum centered on the intersections of Mulberry, Anthony (now Worth St.), Cross (now Mott), Orange (now Baxter), and Little Water Street (no longer exists) on Manhattan island, New York City, New York, in the United States. Today, the Five Points would be located about halfway between Chinatown and the Financial District. The name Five Points derived from the five corners at this intersection.

Just some American history for all you UK and elsewhere members. :D :D :D
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Milton

Post by Milton »

Since1982 wrote:They needed one of those "roundabouts" in Manhattan, NYC, New York at the famous 5 street mishmash called "5 points" since 1853.
There is a famous (in UK) roundabout covering 5 roads. Its in a town called Swindon and I found this link to it -
http://www.swindonweb.com/index.asp?m=8&s=115&ss=289
Looks like a nightmare to navigate!

I quite like the idea of Milton Keynes being my name, so from now on I shall sign off with

Milton Keynes
FJ in Milton Keynes. "Opinions are made to be changed - or how is truth to be got at?" (Lord Byron). I've been on the planet since 1988 and wearing a skirt since 2008.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Not a bad choice of name, Milton Keynes. You won't find many immitators there.
As Ireland seems hell bent on making all the road-building mistakes the UK made 40 years ago, they're building roundabouts here like there was no tomorrow.
I used to have a 7.6 mile commute to work in 1995. No roundabouts on route. Since that time they have built an M-way junction, two 'piggy-back' industrial developments associated with that junction, also an extra 'doughnut parade' type ring toad round the town where I work, so my route to work now 15 years on has extended to 8.5 miles, has 6 roundabouts on it and three extra sets of traffic lights. Progress? Hardly. It now takes me an extra ten minutes in the morning as well.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Since1988 wrote:
Since1982 wrote:They needed one of those "roundabouts" in Manhattan, NYC, New York at the famous 5 street mishmash called "5 points" since 1853.
There is a famous (in UK) roundabout covering 5 roads. Its in a town called Swindon and I found this link to it -
http://www.swindonweb.com/index.asp?m=8&s=115&ss=289
Looks like a nightmare to navigate!

Since1988 wrote:I quite like the idea of Milton Keynes being my name, so from now on I shall sign off with

Milton Keynes
We sent all four of our children to Marlborough College over a ten year period from 1984-94, so, Swindon being the nearest town of any size became very familiar to us over the years. We count ourselves as frequent 'survivers' too, ( you can see M'boro' is well signposted off it) but never invested in T-shirts. That's a more recent tourist thing, and a great money-spinner, I'm sure.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Since1982 »

Milton Keynes said: I quite like the idea of Milton Keynes being my name, so from now on I shall sign off with

Milton Keynes
I think that's a great idea, why don't you just change your name here to that and stop the Since1982/8 confusion. I know I'd appreciate it if you would. And since you said you took it as homage to me, you have my unvarnished encouragement to do it. :D :D :D

skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Milton Keynes could be seen as a tribute to two economists - Milton Freedman and John Maynard Keynes. :wink:

If my memory from four semesters of Economics lo these many decades ago serves me, you wouldn't often find their names in such close proximity. :lol:
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Since1982 »

My inner Scorpio sometimes blabs when it shouldn't. I could blame St. Pauli Girl, but it's really my fault and not beers. I apologise for what I said. :roll:
November 1st I hit the magic number. The one that looks the same right side up or upside down. It's (69). One short of my promised 3 score and 10. Hopefully, I'll see that one also. October 18th I also celebrate the beginning of my 7th year as a member of this site. :blue: