recently joined

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

recently joined

Post by couyalair »

... but not actually introduced.
JI'm just an ordinary man, who has been wearing kilts and skirts for some years and has given up trousers. Retired, which of course makes it easier to be a mis/mik, as no-one can complain or give me orders.
Used to live in France, now in Andalucia where the climate suits me better (though I sometimes feel a little central heating would be nice in January!)

I tried to upload a photo as an avatar to make me appear a bit less anonymous, but have not discovered the secret of reducing a photo to 6kb which appears to be the limit here.

Martin
Uncle Al

Re: recently joined

Post by Uncle Al »

:welcome:
If you have Adobe Photo Shop, import your pic then reduce it down
to about 6.25% That should work. If not, take it down to 3.?%
I'm using the percents from memory, not actually looking at the
program as I'm writing this.

Have a great day :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Hi Martin,

Nice to learn a little more about you.

I use a package called irfanview to reduce pictures. Simply open the file you want to scale down and dial in the size in pixcels you want to reduce it to and Robert's your mothers brother, as they say. As well as being very easy to use Irfanview has the major attraction of my favourite price tag - nothing!

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

Thanks for the suggestions, but with the software I have, however I reduce the pixel number, the file sie remains at 8kb and is rejected by the café's software.
I tried irfanview once, but it was not compatible with my system, Mac OSX.

So, for lack of a photo, you'll just have to believe that I am remarkably good-looking and always elegant in my mugs.

;-)
Martin
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

couyalair wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, but with the software I have, however I reduce the pixel number, the file size remains at 8kb and is rejected by the café's software.
First and foremost, welcome aboard Martin!

On the technical side of things, 8 kB is certainly well within the size that our software here allows -- something else must be going awry. A few of my pals at work are Mac users; I'll ask what tools ship with OSX for image manipulation and how one can reduce the pixel-dimensions of an image, and thereby the size of the resulting file. Watch this space. ;)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

crfriend wrote:
couyalair wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, but with the software I have, however I reduce the pixel number, the file size remains at 8kb and is rejected by the café's software.
First and foremost, welcome aboard Martin!

On the technical side of things, 8 kB is certainly well within the size that our software here allows -- something else must be going awry. A few of my pals at work are Mac users; I'll ask what tools ship with OSX for image manipulation and how one can reduce the pixel-dimensions of an image, and thereby the size of the resulting file. Watch this space. ;)
You can use iPhoto, which usually ships with Mac OS.
Load/open the image using iPhoto; then choose <file> <export>. This allows you to save the image to any location which you specify. A pop-up dialogue box appears where you can specify the new pixel dimensions of the image.
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChrisM »

Welcome Martin!

Where in Andalucia are you? Although American, I lived one year in Paris and have visited southern Spain (Cartagena / Murcia). I currently live in New Orleans, which is actually rather similar to the Spanish coast in many ways.

Welcome to the Café. We usually have tapas around 7:00 p.m.

Chris
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

:welcome: :welcome: from Skip...:D
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

ChrisM wrote:
Where in Andalucia are you?
Torremolinos, Malaga.
Previously in Grenoble, Rhone-Alpes.

Welcome to the Café. We usually have tapas around 7:00 p.m.

A good plan a any time of day really, especially when the beer is given away free as it has been for the recent feria!

Martin