HELLO OUT THERE.

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

HELLO OUT THERE.

Post by STEVIE »

Just to say hello, this is the very first time that I have admitted in public to enjoying wearing skirt or dress. Other than to my wife, not approroving or to my therapist who was at least a tad supportive. I now seem to have embarked on a journey and don't have the slightest clue where it will lead, but hey, ho.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Re: HELLO OUT THERE.

Post by JohnH »

I would like to make it clear that this forum is not a transvestite or transsexual forum - we are normal men who identify as such. We simply like the comfort of kilts, skirts, and sometimes dresses as alternatives to shorts and pants. We wear our non-bifurcated garments as men, and not as pretend women.
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

Hi & :welcome:
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi
To Richard A, thanks for the welcome. Distinguished Member, I stand truly reminded, but I get the feeling that you rather jumped to a conclusion based on not very much knowledge.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Hello and welcome aboard, Stevie.

By way of explanation of one of the earlier comments from another member of our community, we've had a bit of a bump in the road recently with folks who don't understand the function and purpose of SkirtCafe, and nerves are a bit raw at the moment. Hopefully that will calm down in the next week or so, so please don't get us wrong.

Again, welcome!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi crfriend
Thanks for the welcome. To John H, I apologise for coming over all defensive. I too have had bumps in my life. I hope now that we can look forward to some good discussions. Yes, I am a "normal" Scots bloke who enjoys wearing skirts, strangely enough, not "The Kilt " as I find it too rough and heavy.
On a more personal note, I sport a complete beard and smoke a pipe, so feminine is not an issue. I have 2 kids and a wife who really doesn't get the skirt thing. I am currently being counselled on the relationship issues not the skirt ones. That's just about as much as I can explain.
ethelthefrog
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ethelthefrog »

Stevie,

welcome aboard. Wifely acceptance can be hard. Remember that you've done a lot of the accepting yourself before you raise the issue with your loved one(s) and she has to go through the whole thing for herself. See http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/viewtop ... 86#p103248 for my sage(ahem) advice on the matter.

I was in Glasgow at the weekend, my love of Scotland and its largest city undiminished by the fact that I was there for a funeral. Wore trousers, though.

For my wife, seeing me in a kilt (and declaring it "sexy") was the door through which we were able to enter wider skirt-wearing. Very hot about the bum: she had pity on my overheated thighs and agreed that skirts were acceptable, just as long as the kids were asleep. This leaves a couple of important bridges yet to cross, but life is a process.

I wish you well.

Paul.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Paul
Thanks for the encouragement.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

STEVIE wrote: On a more personal note, I sport a complete beard and smoke a pipe, so feminine is not an issue. I have 2 kids and a wife who really doesn't get the skirt thing.
Just like a woman who does not understand the comfort with skirts of the external plumbing males have. I have had issues like that with my wife. Sorry for my admonishment in the beginning.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

:welcome:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi John H
I was hoping for you to reply, but really no apology needed, I hope that that we can get some interesting discourse going. I think we may have more in common than skirts. All the best to you and yours.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Uncle Al
Thanks for the welome.
jeanfor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jeanfor »

Welcome. Hope you enjoy the discussions here.

Like you I find the kilts somewhat heavy. They are ok in winter. But the rest of the time I wear either lighter kilts or pleated plaid skirts...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Thanks Jeanfor
comfort aside, as a Scot the KILT is a very specific and expensive garment. Not to be taken lightly and not for casual wear. Skirts offer a more relaxed way of dress that trousers cannot match.
Steve
ethelthefrog
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ethelthefrog »

During my distressingly short time living in Glasgow, I saw guys going about their everyday business in informal kilts on more than one occasion. Certainly not the norm, but perfectly acceptable.

I definitely agree that they can be a bit warm, though, and I wear skirts much more often than I wear my (informal) kilt.