Exploring in North Texas

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
trulyyours

Exploring in North Texas

Post by trulyyours »

I'm new here, been reading posts avidly and I'm very interested in skirt wearing both for style and comfort considerations. I haven't ventured out yet but I'm working up to it. I'm very glad to have found so much encouragement and understanding here.

A couple of days ago I spent about six hours at a huge shopping mall in the Dallas area. Being more aware of skirt types and styles after reading here, I made it a point to observe what people were wearing. I saw no men wearing anything but pants and shorts. The thing that amazed me was the fact that I saw only three women wearing skirts!. That's out of perhaps a thousand women I saw that day. One was an older asian woman, another was an elderly black lady, and the third was a 30ish mother wearing a nice almost floor length dress(she looked a little out of place somehow).

Judging from that day's observations you could conclude that women have yielded the universe of skirt wearing. Why, indeed, shouldn't men take the ground?!.

Anyway, I'm happy to have found this forum and look forward to a long association.

John
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Exploring in North Texas

Post by crfriend »

Greetings, John, and welcome aboard!

Your personal observation, like some of the ones already made here, indicates that skirts are, more or less, an obsolete garment for the gals -- so why shouldn't us guys take them up. I've been wearing skirts for a good seven or eight years now, and have also been at work for the past year. True enough, the number of men I've seen, outside arranged events have numbered two (including me) and the last one I saw was a good 20 years ago. I feel it is time to claim the garment: they offer compelling advantages in comfort and "thermal control" -- why not embrace them!

Welcome.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Hi and :welcome:
I live southwest of Dallas in one of the suburban cities.
I'm about 33% Kilts, 33% Skirts and 33% pants/shorts. OK - that's 99%,
the remaining 1%, well............that's another story in my back yard
with a privacy fence. :oops: :mrgreen:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I live in Rockwall, Texas, which is about 32 km (20 miles) ENE of Dallas. The only time I wear pants is when I go to church and some other rare occasions. Otherwise I wear denim skirts. Your observations parallel mine - no other men wear skirts and any denim bottoms worn by women are almost always shorts and pants.

We need to be the avant-garde individuals to break the taboo of men wearing skirts. I don't feel out of place going to an auto parts store wearing a skirt. However, I would really feel out of place if I wore a business suit there.

Come to think about it, in 18th century Italy, it was thought immoral for women to sing in public! George F. Handel was in Italy for a time, and he composed an oratorio named La Resurrezione (The Resurrection) and he had a woman sing the part of Mary Magdalene. That was for one performance - then the authorities insisted that a castrato sing the part for subsequent performances. That got Handel to leave Italy and go to England.
johnb
Member Extraordinaire

Post by johnb »

trulyyours wrote: A couple of days ago I spent about six hours at a huge shopping mall in the Dallas area. Being more aware of skirt types and styles after reading here, I made it a point to observe what people were wearing. I saw no men wearing anything but pants and shorts. The thing that amazed me was the fact that I saw only three women wearing skirts!. That's out of perhaps a thousand women I saw that day. One was an older asian woman, another was an elderly black lady, and the third was a 30ish mother wearing a nice almost floor length dress(she looked a little out of place somehow).

Judging from that day's observations you could conclude that women have yielded the universe of skirt wearing. Why, indeed, shouldn't men take the ground?!.
John
Here in the UK the situation is similar, whilst I haven't made any careful observations like yours, out on the streets and elsewhere the majority of women are wearing trousers. Even in hot weather when a skirt would be more comfortable women in trousers are still in the majority although it might be a little smaller.

Whether over a period of time it will mean that the skirt loses its association with the fair sex, making it easier for men who are so minded to wear the garment remains to be seen.

John
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChrisM »

I have used that observation to good effect: One time on the streets of New Orleans I was accosted by a tourist (20-something male, surrounded by his buddies) who said something like "why are you wearing women's clothes?" (meaning the skirt.) I said "Mate, look around you... (pointed at all the women on the street, all of them wearing jeans) It seems to me the YOU are the one who is dressed like them."

His buddies laughed and took the point.

My daughter and I strolled onward and continued our business.
trulyyours

Post by trulyyours »

ChrisM wrote:I have used that observation to good effect: One time on the streets of New Orleans I was accosted by a tourist (20-something male, surrounded by his buddies) who said something like "why are you wearing women's clothes?" (meaning the skirt.) I said "Mate, look around you... (pointed at all the women on the street, all of them wearing jeans) It seems to me the YOU are the one who is dressed like them."

His buddies laughed and took the point.

My daughter and I strolled onward and continued our business.
Absolutely great observation and retort! I'm keeping that one filed away for future use, with the author's permission, I hope.
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

The ladies in the Columbus, OH area haul out the skirts on the first warm days of Spring. Then, quite often on hot days too. Sometimes full length (which I don't understand on a hot day)... however, it's good to see. They are not dead and buried here....
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
trulyyours

Post by trulyyours »

"Come to think about it, in 18th century Italy, it was thought immoral for women to sing in public! George F. Handel was in Italy for a time, and he composed an oratorio named La Resurrezione (The Resurrection) and he had a woman sing the part of Mary Magdalene. That was for one performance - then the authorities insisted that a castrato sing the part for subsequent performances. That got Handel to leave Italy and go to England."

I'll bet there are a lot of small statured Italian men who are glad that practice became obsolete!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: TrulyYours John, John, John and John. I too was gifted with a first name of John at birth which was also my father's given name. His nickname, because he was a part time boat captain, was Skip as in Skipper or Captain, guess what nickname I got stuck with? First it was Johnny, then Skippy (which I didn't care for, the peanut butter thing) then Skipper and later I took just plain Skip like my Dad was known as. I wasn't overly fond of John because of the 1. Prostitute's boyfriend, 2. toilet, 3. John Boat (they tip too easily) and 4, a "dear John" letter to a fighting soldier by his girlfriend who was leaving him for someone who was HERE to take care of her needs.

Anyway John, welcome to the site. I'm full time skirted since 2005, part time skirted since 1972 mostly skirted since 1982, and skirted by my mom when I was first born because she expected a daughter and had pre-bought the clothes and was too poor to buy for both sexes in advance. They had no way to tell what sex a baby was pre-birth in 1941 when I was born. :D :D :D :D
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

trulyyours wrote:"Come to think about it, in 18th century Italy, it was thought immoral for women to sing in public! George F. Handel was in Italy for a time, and he composed an oratorio named La Resurrezione (The Resurrection) and he had a woman sing the part of Mary Magdalene. That was for one performance - then the authorities insisted that a castrato sing the part for subsequent performances. That got Handel to leave Italy and go to England."

I'll bet there are a lot of small statured Italian men who are glad that practice became obsolete!
Those castrati were NOT small statured men. They continued to keep growing beyond normal adolescence so it was common for them to be exceptionally tall and weigh over 135 kg (300 lbs).