Introduction from Alex

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
AlexKMS

Introduction from Alex

Post by AlexKMS »

Hi all,

My name is Alex, Al, Kiteley, or whatever else you feel like calling me. I live in North Carolina but I was born and raised in New York City untill the age of eight. I am almost fifteen years old and I am in eighth grade due to being held back a grade because of problems like dyslexia. I have heritage from almost all of the caucasian countries of the world but I have the most from Scottland and Ireland. I am considering the possibility of working towards Brittish citizenship when I am older and living in Scottland because of my love for the place. My heritage is what brought me to the subject of men wearing skirts and other non restricting garments but I have found a lot of interest in the other aspects of it. I identify as queer but I see that as being for the most part separate from my dislike of pants.

Religiously I identified as a athiest for a long period of time although I was raised as a quaker. I now identify as a agnostic pagan with quaker values; go figure.

I enjoy folk music, celtic music, musicals and most forms of traditional music as well as those genres when mixed with more modern music. My favorite combination is Celtic punk music and I especially enjoy the band Flogging Molly. I enjoy all sorts of music with the one exception of screamo. Some of my other favourites are indie, ska, classic rock, and metal.

I love hiking, backpacking, kayaking, canoeing, climbing and any other nature related activity. I try to keep everything in my life as natural as possible. Despite this I thrive off of the internet as it is one of the few places where I can learn more about my unique interests. I am a big fan of do it yourself and if I had the resources I would raise my own sheep, shear my own wool, weave my own tartans, well you get the idea. I would do everything on my own. As of yet I do moderate leather work and I make my own clothes. I am rather naturally skilled with crafts but I'm still working on knitting, blacksmithing, weaving and cobbling. I enjoy activism of most sorts from the internet to chaining myself to trees. I enjoy reading and I love dystopian stories though I continue to love Harry Potter which was the book I learned how to read on.

I have a strange sense of humor that is expressed best through a giant collection of quirky bumper stickers. I have a special interest in a garment called the belted plaid or "great kilt" but I wear my modern kilt almost daily and other non-restricting garments only occassionally. I harbor a interest in wearing skirts though they would tend to be of the hippie tie dyed variation, dresses would tend to be summery and I also am interested in wearing sarongs. I can't really see myself wearing say a ball gown for daily purpose however where as mentioned garments tend to just be more practical and comfortable rather than likely to kill me. I believe that new can always be found in old and I tend to represent this in my fashion.

All in all I am a very strange teenager and I always have been, I have gone through stages of repressing myself, stages of just not being proud of who I am; but I feel like I have finally arrived at a point in my life where I am proud of who I am, whoever I am. Sorry about the length of this but I felt like writing.

-Alex KMS
owen
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Introduction from Alex

Post by owen »

Welcome Alex, to SkirtCafé! You sound like a great addition, with some unique insights. I suspect we'll be hearing from you on the DIY page!

Owen (in Ireland).
Kris
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kris »

Welcome to the Cafe, Alex.
Thank you for posting such a well-written, articulate piece to introduce yourself. I dare say it's one of the best here.

Kris
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

:welcome: :welcome: Alex. Before you move to the United Kingdom (depending on which country of it) PLEASE make sure to check on the taxes of the place you're moving to. Some British taxes can be the highest in the world, or so I've heard. I don't know this from personal experience, only from heresay, it's still well worth checking on. :D :D
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Alex,

Welcome to our little corner of cyberspace. We're a small group here but generally friendly and I'm sure we all welcome the addition of a younger perspective, particularly from one as articulate and thoughtful as you appear to be. It is very unusual to find someone your age with such a clear view of who they are.

So jump right in and contribute as the fancy takes you.

Have fun here,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
AlexKMS

Post by AlexKMS »

Thank you all for the warm welcome. It's nice not having my head bitten off at the first moment as is so common with forums.

I have heard about the taxes, and I would be interested in moving to Scotland though I am not sure how bad the taxes are there. I have always been very interested in Scottish history, and I have a general love of the country but due to the fact that my family would remain in the US I'm fairly sure that it is a dream that I will not fulfill.
Kris
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kris »

AlexKMS wrote:I have heard about the taxes, and I would be interested in moving to Scotland though I am not sure how bad the taxes are there. I have always been very interested in Scottish history, and I have a general love of the country but due to the fact that my family would remain in the US I'm fairly sure that it is a dream that I will not fulfill.
Don't let "reality" get in the way of your dreams. While it may be a little early to seriously think about moving to Scotland or elsewhere in the UK, it is a good time to consider going to a university there. That might be a good way to get first hand experience living there, do some traveling when you get a break in your studies, and be in a better position to decide if permanently relocating is for you.

Kris
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

AlexKMS, you are a very articulate, thoughtful and, seemingly, intelligent teenager amd should go far in life from what I have read so far. At 15, you should go all out to attain a matriculation pass that would assure you of an easy entry to a Scottish or irish university.(as kris has already pointed out) Also :welcome: :thewave:
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

AlexKMS wrote:I feel like I have finally arrived at a point in my life where I am proud of who I am, whoever I am.
Some people never reach that point, you are fortunate indeed to learn this so early in life. :D Welcome among us, Alex!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I identify as queer but I see that as being for the most part separate from my dislike of pants.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't being called a "queer" an insult to a Gay man? :roll:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Since1982 wrote: Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't being called a "queer" an insult to a Gay man? :roll:
Certainly not in this part of the country. Gay men out here have taken the word and use it proudly.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco