RE - My Introduction

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
johnb
Member Extraordinaire

RE - My Introduction

Post by johnb »

I have been visiting this forum for a month or so now and I guess its time to sign up and do an introduction.

I live in West Sussex UK and are 58yrs old and married with one grown up son. I'm not sure now where I found the link to get here, however as a naturist my interest in skirts lead on from the need for simple cover up when in my garden. The first thing I brought was sarong, just a simple rectangle of cloth which on me, at least, whilst being just about decent in a steady state, didn't need a lot wind or movement to overly increase exposure.

I then found some old camouflage material that my son had used many years ago used to construct a den under his bunk bed. This enabled me, which a lot of assistance from my wife' friend and her sewing machine, to make what is a simple knee length wrap around skirt. An overlap in the fabric at the waist being secured with a couple of press studs. This simple garment has proved to be very useful, in the garden and occasionally elsewhere It is very comfortable to wear, and this eventually lead to my interest in this site.

Skirt clad outings in the wider world have been limited so far. As a relative newcomer one is concerned about the reaction of others. On holiday in Wales I found that having dried off after a swimming, it was easy to slip on and wear back to the car and the cottage we were staying in, this was something that my wife suggested. I didn't notice any funny looks from others in the car park.

On another occasion having done a beach litter clean up, I wore it whilst taking the collected rubbish it to an amenity tip, and I didn't notice any strange looks there. However when I dropped off the litter picking tools I had borrowed back
at an acquaintances house, I could see him looking at it and probably wondering what was going on.

The last outing was a couple of days ago when I decided to wear it on a walk. The first person I passed was a woman with a dog. I said good afternoon, and she gave what sounded like a very nervous reply, as though she was thinking oh no he's speaking to me ! The second meeting was with a couple on horses. I just received a fairly reserved acknowledgment. The third and last was with a gardener on a private road (with bridleway access) sweeping leaves up, he greeted me normally, but after I passed the sound of the broom stopped, but I suppose that could have been for any reason.

I have now ordered a cheap'ish Blaklader kilt from a work wear firm, both to give my wrap around a rest, and possibly to use more widely.

I think that about it for now.

johnb
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Re: RE - My Introduction

Post by Since1982 »

Don't get to the point of some illness or another and saying, Gee, I wish I'd gone out in my skirts sooner, now I can't go out at all. That's nearly what happened to me. If I hadn't found Tom's Cafe, (the forerunner of Skirt Cafe) I'd still be worried about what "others" would think instead of just going out and "doing it". I've been publically skirted since 2005 and wish I'd started about 30 years earlier. I'm 68 now and have been secretly skirted since I was 12 and wasted a lot of time that I could have been not worrying what "Others thought"..

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
TomH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TomH »

Hi, johnb,

Being a naturist did jump start my interest in actually wearing skirts as a cover up if needed on my natural hikes. Some of the trails were rough, so needed good boots. Try and get those through leg holes in a hurry on a mountain side when you spot someone on the trail headed your way. More danger of falling than looking bad. A quick wrap solved the problem when needed. It just sort of evolved after finding out how comfortable skirts are for a man. Not much 'adjustment' needed then.

It's only been a couple years for me wearing skirts in public. Wish I had started earlier... Almost no one cares. I can go days without the slightest look and then a day or two where it seems every fifth person takes a look... VERY seldom anyone says anything and most always positive.

Some think I'm a little slow to adopt this because I usually wear denim, knee length and less with pockets just like shorts. I find most at thrift shops. However, lately I've started using other materials that I find there and at Walmart or other stores that are the same type and also look like shorts. I just like pockets. I also feel it's a statement that men don't have to change there habits or life, just be more comfortable and have more variety in their clothing choices.

I do wear others at home, in or out and around friends and relatives. Cold means longer and heavier or warmer materials. I have wore them out and about, but not a lot. As before, nothing to note from people.

SO, I say just keep trying and don't worry as much. Picking your places and times might be good at your age, at least until you feel better about it. Drunken bars might not be a good idea... My wife has no problem with my skirts. She hates wearing skirts, partly because she's cold blooded and was forced to when young. Congrats to your girl friend for understanding each person has there own life to live. Not all guys are that lucky.

Tom
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Hello John,

Fancy meeting you here!

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

Hi John welcome to the cafe
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

West Sussex, why, you live near Hamish Bicknell.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/videonation/articl ... ilts.shtml

He has an impeccable sense of style. I'm sure he could give you tips on any look you might wish to put together.
johnb
Member Extraordinaire

Post by johnb »

This is just to thank you for the welcome, and the helpful comments.

The Blakader kilt, very much a work garment, but I knew that when I ordered it, has now arrived so I will see where that takes me. I will let you know in due course.

John
johnb
Member Extraordinaire

Post by johnb »

I wore the Blakader kilt I referred to in the last post for the first time yesterday, for a walk along a canal towpath yesterday. There were a few other people about mainly on the last quarter of a mile of so back to the car park.I didn't notice any strange looks, and most people said good afternoon or hello as they passed by in the normal way.

The garment itself was comfortable enough, but the material (heavy cotton) is such that several washes (it has had one so far), will be needed to soften it up a bit. There are numerous pockets, but I might add a press stud to the top on one to give it a bit more security for a wallet.

John