Less kilts, more skirts.

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Chris Webb

Less kilts, more skirts.

Post by Chris Webb »

I'm Chris Webb. I've been wearing kilts full time for about 5 1/2 years now and have always done so for freedom's sake. However, it just seems that more and more I've fallen into the ole heritage trap and don't even try anymore to tell folks that I'm in a kilt because I don't like pants, instead just saying, "yes, I'm Scottish." This disturbs me and I want to change it.

I'm here seeking help in finding MUGs beyond kilts ... I'm looking to expand into just plain ole skirts and I really don't care which part of the store they come from, as long as they look masculine on me. I hope you guys can help me and then I hope that I will be able to help others as well.

Kilt ON, errr, Skirt ON!!

Chris Webb
Mipi
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Less kilts, more skirts.

Post by Mipi »

Welcome Chris!

I believe here you can find a lot of possible solution. Just take some time to list through posts and place questions.
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

Hi Chris & :welcome: ........but I like Kilts sorry
Kris
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kris »

Hi Chris,

As Richard said, :welcome:
I'm sure you'll find some ideas here, and meet some interesting people. (Quite a bit of interesting characters, really!)

I saw your photos in your other post. Great pictures! I'm sure you'll fit right in here.

Kris
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

However, it just seems that more and more I've fallen into the ole heritage trap and don't even try anymore to tell folks that I'm in a kilt because I don't like pants, instead just saying, "yes, I'm Scottish." This disturbs me and I want to change it.
You can always leave them confused with this response..."I like kilts because I'm a Netherlander and most Netherlanders love the breeze in Summer in the "nether regions"..which is patently impossible with trousers or pants of any kind. Anyway, I don't ride a horse/donkey/burro/mule/Harley or ass to work. I hope this helps you Sir or Ma'am. :alien: 8) :alien:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChrisM »

Went out to dinner last night with some new friends (introduced by other friends.) I wore my green knee-length skirt, which ties at the waist with a belt of the same fabric as the skirt. Green on one side, bright floral on the other. (Darn, it's hard to describe. OK - it was a skirt.)

Over the course of the meal I was surprised to learn that our new friend was an Episcopalian Priest.

Earlier in the day, when we were up at the pool, I had worn a floral sarong as a pool cover up.

Near the end of the evening I asked him what he thought of my wearing a skirt, and whether he was distrubed by it, thinking that his religion might generate such a response. His answer was "Yes, I noticed it, and I noticed earlier when you were wearing the sarong. I thought 'Gee that fella has balls' and nothing more."

From this we then had a great conversation at the table, especially with the various teenaged kids who were members of our party, discussing all manner of fashion freedom. But my point was just to reiterate that once again, even from a source where I expected some sort of criticism, what I really saw was complete acceptance.

The barriers are all in our minds. I really think that more people approve than we give them credit for. I know that I tend to assume that all the passersby think "Oh that guys a wierdo." More and more however I am coming to suspect that what they really think may be "I'd like to be like him."

Chris M.
WHy do you ask?"
tooslowprius
Distinguished Member

Post by tooslowprius »

First I would like to say Welcome :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: . The best advise I can give you as far as starting out wearing skirt's instead of kilt's would be to look into some jean skirts that are about knee length like the kilt. When I wear a skirt out and about I have always worn (for the most part) some sort of knee length jean skirt. I have never really been given any problems. I hope this helps and good luck!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Tooslowprius said: The best advise I can give you as far as starting out wearing skirt's instead of kilt's would be to look into some jean skirts that are about knee length like the kilt.
I looked all thru his pictures and I didn't see any of his kilts that are knee length, all were about 14 inches I think. He did have a pic of a skirt that was 14" in front and about 5-6" longer in the back, but that was the only one longer than 14" or so, it seems to me. 8)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Chris Webb

Post by Chris Webb »

Yep, I prefer shorter, mid thigh ... at least with kilts I only wear them to the knee in the winter or for some sort of more formal occasion, otherwise I find them to be too hot. Keep in mind that I am 5'6", so 14" covers more of my legs than it would on taller guys. I work in 14"ers, but most of my nicer kilts, like for dinner and the like, are 15.5"ers. My longest kilts are 20" and hit at the top of my knee.

Long or short I can certainly see why starting out in a denim skirt is a good idea, not sure why but it just seems like seeing so many women in jeans just makes it seem more fair for a man to get to wear a jean skirt! :D What little experience I have so far, and I wrote about it in my other thread, is that I'm so used to the mobility of a kilt that I'm finding straight skirts a bit confining ... I'm also just learning terms, the denim skirt I got I think is an A-line, much more comfortable, but if it were longer I think it would look really 'billowy'.

Is it true that most of the guys here who are in Mugs other than kilts are wearing straight skirts? I must admit, I really like the way I look in the two straight skirts I found ... I assume that if I wore one of them for very long I be as good of a skirtman as I am a kiltman.

Here I am in a 17" Utilikilt that I wear to Chamber of Commerce and business meetings

Here I am in 20" SportKilt and my favorite bar, the Rig, in Fort Worth, Texas

Anyway, obviously I do wear different lengths of kilts, I guess I'm leaning towards shorter skirts because, truth be told, me likes ta show off da legs! 8) Plus, I'm just assuming that a longer skirt would be hotter to wear just as a longer kilt is hotter to wear ... I could be wrong. I think I need to get out and about in what I bought and just see how it goes ... I always get compliments in my kilts, I'm betting I might get more in these straight skirts, frankly they show off my physique better than the kilts!

I really do appreciate all of your insights and advice, big time. Mug ON!

Chris Webb
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Since1982 »

No, they don't mostly wear straight skirts. I do because I need to go on a diet. If I wear a skirt that is lots bigger at the knees than my waistline the belt tends to climb up to my armpits while I'm walking or driving. I'd rather not have to bother pulling it down constantly so I prefer straight enough that they don't climb up me. As long as the circumference is less at mid thigh than belt, it can spread out from there down. I'm fairly old so I don't move real fast like you youngsters do, so slow, shorter steps is fine for me. I usually buy them all shapes and then it's my Euro-Pro sewing machine to make them comfortable for me. I only have one ankle length skirt and it's a full peasant style. I wear a straight underskirt under it so it doesn't climb me like a cliff. :mrgreen:

Chris Webb

Post by Chris Webb »

Yea, I'll be 49 in a few months, I'm noticing a few things too. :( It's really cool that you know yourself, your body, so well ... I've got what works for me regarding kilts down pat, length, brand, etc. ... One thing I've come to enjoy is anything with an elastic waist! I wear mostly SportKilts because they have an elastic waist, simply put, my waist (apparently) is bigger when I'm sitting down than when I'm standing up! :lol:

Chris
Last edited by Chris Webb on Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

First of all Chris,
:welcome:

We're sort-a neighbors :mrgreen:

You'll find many choices of skirts/kilts here as there are patrons
at this Cafe', so, grab a cup, pull up a chair and jump in on the
conversation :!:

Uncle Al
Duncanville, TX
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
tesjolts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by tesjolts »

Hi Chris,
I'm also a first poster here and have two utilikilts and recently bought a men's denim skirt online (it's made from men's jeans).
What reactions do you get at the chamber of commerce and business meetings when you wear the short kilt?
It looks pretty good !!
Tes
Chris Webb

Post by Chris Webb »

tesjolts wrote:Hi Chris,
I'm also a first poster here and have two utilikilts and recently bought a men's denim skirt online (it's made from men's jeans).
What reactions do you get at the chamber of commerce and business meetings when you wear the short kilt?
It looks pretty good !!
Tes
:D Well, I can tell you that I get way more compliments on my shortest kilts than all my other kilts combined.

The truth about society is that you can get away with danged near anything if you are just consistent ... I am always in a kilt, always, when I'm doing business. It's part of my branding, so to speak. Consequently I get lots of compliments (many are on my legs rather than my kilts, I love that!) but I also get compliments on both my personal courage and my business sense ... folks at the Chamber of Commerce know full well the power of being memorable and many there attribute at least some of my success in business to my wearing kilts.

Honestly, though, it really does help to have great legs ... I do occasionally get the off guy who can't help but say something like, "Kilts are supposed to go to the knee," or "That's too short to be a kilt." But most often when that happens somebody else will immediately say that they like it and will sort of frown the guy down. I've seen this happen many times over the years. If nobody else speaks up in my defense I'll usually say something back along the lines of, "Buddy, you should get yourself a kilt and wear it however you want to." He'll be silenced and maybe even humiliated because he knows damned well he doesn't have the courage to do either one.

I'll also, very rarely, get someone who just thinks men are supposed to wear pants and that's all there is to it ... I just look at them and say flatly, "You know, YOU really don't have to wear pants." If you'll notice, I usually put the kilt/skirt issue right back on them if they bring it up. If someone says, "Who says you can wear a skirt/kilt?" I reply, "The very same people who say you can't." If these nay sayers have any intelligence at all they will quickly realize they are in a battle with somebody who simply has more personal courage than they have ... they are often humbled right then and there and, though they still may not appreciate or ever wear a skirt, they will forever be impressed that you really can and do wear them.

For all who are reading this and trying to find the courage to step on out there really is only one thing you have to do ... put on your skirt or kilt and OWN it. Wear it without apology or explanation, wear it without the least bit of concern over the reactions of others. People are just fancy animals and eveyone knows that dogs go after folks who are afraid of dogs ... well, people go after people who are afraid of people too ... don't be afraid. If you show no fear at all, if you just walk into the room like you own it neither dog nor person will bark at you.

Last, answer honest questions honestly, you will be very surprised how many men would love to wear a kilt or skirt as well as how many women just LOVE a man who is man enough to wear what HE wants over what all others want. Don't think everyone is judging you, they are not, most folks who look at you intently are doing so because it's new to them and they are just trying to get a really good look ... let them look, and let them see the MAN in the skirt and not just the skirt.

Mug ON!

Chris Webb
skirtingtherealissue

Post by skirtingtherealissue »

Welcome to the Cafe, Chris.

I can certainly understand you liking to show off your legs. Same thing here, although I hated showing them off in shorts.
Ash

Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step. - Dr Martin Luther King Jnr.