Cafe patrons' ages

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.

How old are you?

21 or under
3%
21 - 35
14%
35 - 50
25%
50 - 65
41%
Over 65
16%
None of your BeesWax
0%

Total votes: 474

melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Cafe patrons' ages

Post by melsav »

Just coming up to my 21st birthday, for the 3rd time :)
Wim Jansma

Post by Wim Jansma »

Hi,
I am 71.
So a little bit old, but still with a young heart.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Born mid 1954 but still feel like I'm 25. Fooling myself naturally but I don't look my age and still reasonably physically fit although 50% heavier than when I was in my early twenties so shows how much fat I'm carrying.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I'm a '57 model, pushing 57 in about seven months. Still feel like 27, at least in spirit.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

You lucky bastards!
I am 65 and have a body of appr. 90, so the doctor says.
The only part of me not affected by rheumatism is my sense of humor...

By the way, Wim Jansma looks rather young for his age, do'nt you think? :lol:

Jan.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I have not quite figured out why we seem to be a group whose active members are older sorts (I would say middle-aged, but in my case it would suggest that I would live to the age of 112). Is it that breaking the mold is more challenging for us? Or just that we have a more limited base of those who understand/appreciate our deviation from the accepted norms, which most of us have spent much of our lives coping under? I know that, personally, to communicate with another male fan of unbifurcation, this is my only channel.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

dillon wrote:I have not quite figured out why we seem to be a group whose active members are older sorts (I would say middle-aged, but in my case it would suggest that I would live to the age of 112).
My supposition on this is that we've reached an age where we are well-proven and established both professionally and personally and therefore have the confidence to step outside the "conventional" boundaries that our younger brethren have. We're just "better armed" to deal with potential detractors than the younger set.

In line with the above thought, I can offer some personal experience on the matter. The first guy I saw in an out-and-out skirt (not a kilt) was in the mid- to late- 1980s -- at a point where I was still working uphill to establish myself in my career. I considered the notion of "going for it" (as in wearing skirts) then, but fairly quickly climbed down as there was a bigger hill to climb and I didn't need any potential obstacles that weren't directly related to what I do to make my living. And so it stayed until the early part of the 21st Century -- after I had established myself and had sufficient credentials and backup proof to be fairly unassailable in my profession. I started wearing skirts, I think, sometime in 2002 or 2003, but still didn't wear them to work until into 2009 or 2010, by which time I was a very respected member of the staff. When I first started wearing skirts at work, I got the usual questions, but these were easily dismissed and very quickly folks got used to the notion -- the quality of my work never wavered, and I dismissed the questions with the simple comment of, "There is no subtext to this; this is about style and comfort." With almost 50 years under my belt, nobody was going to argue with that -- which is something that cannot be said for somebody in his 20s or 30s.
Is it that breaking the mold is more challenging for us? Or just that we have a more limited base of those who understand/appreciate our deviation from the accepted norms, which most of us have spent much of our lives coping under? I know that, personally, to communicate with another male fan of unbifurcation, this is my only channel.
Quite rather, I think that above a "certain age" and with reputation and respectability already established that we're more confident than we were (and our younger brethren are) in our younger years.

I honestly do not know whether my skirt-wearing at work hastened my "departure" from the last place I worked. It might have, but then again it could have been immaterial. That will remain an unknown and I am glad to be shot of the place.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Wim Jansma

Post by Wim Jansma »

janrok wrote:You lucky bastards!
I am 65 and have a body of appr. 90, so the doctor says.
The only part of me not affected by rheumatism is my sense of humor...

By the way, Wim Jansma looks rather young for his age, do'nt you think? :lol:

Jan.
Yes I do. Everybody says so. Here is a picture that I took last week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

You may look young, Wim, but I know you cropped that photo to hide the Zimmer frame!

That skirt is SHORT! You could just have taken it off and pulled your T shirt down a bit and called it a dress!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Perhaps after decades of stultifying conformity, older people are sick of it. Who wants to be stuck with the boring same old/same old for an entire lifetime?
Wim Jansma

Post by Wim Jansma »

skirtyscot wrote:You may look young, Wim, but I know you cropped that photo to hide the Zimmer frame! ...!
Who knows ?
Perhaps I'm standing with one foot in my grave (Das Leben und Leiden des jungen Werthers, Goethe)
Who knows ?
Erika

Post by Erika »

I am a young 52 and feel like a 30 yr old mainly I think its because I have been in the U.S Military for the past 30 years so keeping in shape and staying healthy has keep me young. Plus I need to show the kids I can still keep up.
mark47

Post by mark47 »

6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Built in mid 1972.
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »