Cafe patrons' ages

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.

How old are you?

21 or under
3%
21 - 35
14%
35 - 50
25%
50 - 65
41%
Over 65
16%
None of your BeesWax
0%

Total votes: 474

Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Cafe patrons' ages

Post by Couya »

I just had a look back to the beginnings of this thread. It began in 2009. Does the software adjust the totals as time goes by? or is the lowest age-group now in the next one up?
Very few of the members answering the age question are in fact active today. The postings of many are in the 1 - 5 range ! Does this mean that they still wear skirts but are not interested in discussions? or that they have given up the idea of being manly and skirtedly comfortable?

Martin
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Couya wrote:I just had a look back to the beginnings of this thread. It began in 2009. Does the software adjust the totals as time goes by? or is the lowest age-group now in the next one up?
The software doesn't adjust the figures; they were effective cast in concrete when the user answered the poll.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
PatJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by PatJ »

When I voted in this poll, I was one category lower
than my current age.

Maybe the poll needs to be modified so that we can
change our vote as we age.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

PatJ wrote:Maybe the poll needs to be modified so that we can change our vote as we age.
Good idea!

I just looked at things, and I was able to turn that ability on.
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

Just remember Couya that there are a lot of folks out there that are under 35 that either are not registered here or are simply hiding out and not letting anyone know that they wear skirts and such. It was once said in a movie that there are a lot of guys that like to wear frilly undies that you are unaware of (with the actor in the background looking embarrassed and trying to find a place to hide). So you never really know sometimes.

I was once in a store walking past the makeup area and there was a very nice looking gal there getting makeup advice. Then she spoke in a Bass voice which destroyed the whole illusion, if she hadn't spoken I would never have known she wasn't a she.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Couya wrote: After all, who wants to look like an old has-been like me (just turned 74!) ?
74? Surely you mean 21 with 53 years experience?

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Martin,

You've got three months and much more head hair (than) on me :( . Your advantage is that you probably chose long-lived parents! :?:

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Milfmog wrote: 74? Surely you mean 21 with 53 years experience?
Well, not sure about that. There are days when it feels like 35 with 39 years experience, but there are also many days when it feels like 74 with no useful experience at all !

My mother and her parents lived well into their 80s, but father, who lost his hair before I was born, never enjoyed any eagerly expected retirement. Who knows what lies in store? At least I can say I am living comfortably with uncrushed nuts, even if they are not very useful these days ! I wear what I like, eat what I like, go where I like, and when a lady friend said she did not like my skirts, I realized there were plenty more fish in the sea !

Martin
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Couya wrote:At least I can say I am living comfortably with uncrushed nuts, even if they are not very useful these days ! I wear what I like, eat what I like, go where I like, and when a lady friend said she did not like my skirts, I realized there were plenty more fish in the sea!
Martin

Being 73 I can say the same thing. I know what the world is not and that is being able to get out of it alive. :lol: So I wear what I want when I want to wear it and to He Double hockey sticks as to what people say. If and when I decide to get some one in my life :queen: she will have to heartily support my skirt wearing, and if not as you say I will go fishing for another.

Fred :kiltdance:

"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
PatJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by PatJ »

Now that I have changed my vote to the "Over 65" group,
I must ask, "How old do we have to get to qualify for the
'none of your beeswax' group?"
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

PatJ wrote:I must ask, "How old do we have to get to qualify for the 'none of your beeswax' group?"
To the best of my knowledge, you must be deceased. But that's only a guess.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I'm just a bit past halfway through my category. I daresay some of the correspondents are "pushing" that next level...and some are no doubt "pulling" their declared category through the magic of "voluntary information." Perhaps I will also be at some point.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Considering how I last posted my age about 6-7 years ago, it was time to bump up into the 35-50 bracket. Another 10 years to go before I'm in the 50-65 bracket.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I am in the 50-65 bracket, not far from the next, and have some trepidation about the reason for the big "drop off" in numbers.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

denimini wrote:I am in the 50-65 bracket, not far from the next, and have some trepidation about the reason for the big "drop off" in numbers.
The demographics are for people on this site, if I'm not mistaken, so internet usage etc. probably needs to be taken into account when looking at age banding. Additionally, there may well be cultural implications so, assuming it were a realistic cross section of the public, it is conceivable that certain generations have not yet found the freedom to express themselves. As they pass from one band to another, like yourself, then is it not likely to be the case that the numbers even themselves out a little more?

Looking at myself, then, given that my skirt wearing has increased over the years, I do not envisage that it will decline should I make it to 70, for instance, but who knows. By then, it would be nice to think also that shops will be stocking skirts, dresses etc. marketed towards all sexes. One way to encourage this is to don a kilt, skirt or dress, and to go out and be seen. Hopefully it might just encourage another person to so the same :-)