Cafe patrons' ages

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.

How old are you?

21 or under
3%
21 - 35
14%
35 - 50
25%
50 - 65
41%
Over 65
16%
None of your BeesWax
0%

Total votes: 475

jmkel

Re: Cafe patrons' ages

Post by jmkel »

Just turned 25.
johnb
Member Extraordinaire

Post by johnb »

Well at 58, I'm in with the biggest group. Its interesting that after a steady climb through the various age bands, that the numbers plunge in the over sixty five sector.

John
Kris
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kris »

johnb wrote:Well at 58, I'm in with the biggest group. Its interesting that after a steady climb through the various age bands, that the numbers plunge in the over sixty five sector.

John
Perhaps the over 65 group is less likely to be computer-savvy?

Kris
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Kris said: Perhaps the over 65 group is less likely to be computer-savvy?
Exqueeze me. I wouldn't consider myself completely non-computer savvy. I did do 9 years as GuidePKS, Ranger Skip and Host Help Skip for AOL and have had a personal computer since 1982. I AM after all 68 which is well past 65. Please don't put me out with the daisies/trash just yet. :D :D I'm not nearly as computer savvy as Carl, but I think probably 75% of the membership is in that group. I've had no complaints about my co/adminning/with Carl of Skirts4Men.org. At least none I've heard about from the Moderators over there. :D One day over there I deleted 97 spammers one at a time. :D :D :D :D :nemo: :fish: :bow: :hide:
:king:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Colin
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Colin »

I'm a 1948 kid. A few minor ailments, but reasonably fine. Thankful for free prescriptions over the age of 60 in the UK.
I got my 4th kilt for Christmas (Black Denim Unionkilt).
Colin.
satinfeelsgreat

Post by satinfeelsgreat »

been dressing since early teens.
kiltsrawesome

Post by kiltsrawesome »

I'm feeling quite young being 18 lol
Wearing a skirt makes everything fun!
jimee

Post by jimee »

55 years young and going strong.....
Different_Trains
Distinguished Member

Post by Different_Trains »

AlexKMS

Post by AlexKMS »

I'm 15, but I started wearing the kilt at 9. If I have kids they will probably wear kilts until they can tell me otherwise.
Layne0033

Post by Layne0033 »

41 & new here.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

:welcome: :welcome: Layne, sit down and have a cuppajoe or if you're high class, have a latte'. :D :D :D
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
alsachti

Post by alsachti »

I am surprised by the results : the least numerous are the younger ones. :?
Presently : 21-35 only 17%, compared with 43% for the 50-65

It is counter-intuitive : younger people should be less conservative, more prone to break the rules, to try something new...

What is the reason of this situation, on your opinion ?
And how to promote skirts to young men ?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

alsachti wrote:I am surprised by the results : the least numerous are the younger ones. :? [...]

It is counter-intuitive : younger people should be less conservative, more prone to break the rules, to try something new...
Most speculation here has centered around the idea that "elders" are confident in their status in the community, have strong reputations amongst their peers, and therefore have the confidence to buck traditional Western norms. This view may, or may not, be accurate but sums up what seems to have been expressed to date.

When one thinks about it, the "youngster" who's just entering his professional life feels he has quite a bit to prove, and feels that he needs to prove it in such a visceral manner that his elders will immediately "get it". This entails a no-holds-barred "attention-to-message" that skirts and other "non-traditional" garments would likely detract from. Once one has firmly established himself in the hierarchy and overall environment, the notion of "fashion" likely becomes less distracting that it might be for a newcomer. At the newcomer level, it's all about message and the presentation is solely used to further the message rather than being, potentially, distracting.

The above having been said, I hope that the younger generation will adopt and embrace skirted looks as part of their routine. However, given the nature of "having to prove one's self" in the face of possibly fierce competition, this may not happen any time soon.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Steve

Post by Steve »

crfriend wrote:
alsachti wrote:I am surprised by the results : the least numerous are the younger ones. :? [...]

[...]

When one thinks about it, the "youngster" who's just entering his professional life feels he has quite a bit to prove, and feels that he needs to prove it in such a visceral manner that his elders will immediately "get it". This entails a no-holds-barred "attention-to-message" that skirts and other "non-traditional" garments would likely detract from. [...] At the newcomer level, it's all about message and the presentation is solely used to further the message rather than being, potentially, distracting.
As a "young'un" this rings true. There are people who are able to craft an 'image' that is outside the norm of their profession and make it work for them, but it's not usually a safe choice, and it certainly varies from profession-to-profession. (Lady Gaga is certainly able to take some liberties that others couldn't take, for example).

Take a look at http://www.dba-oracle.com/dress_code.htm for a [s]trip back to the 1950s[/s] modern example emphasizing 'image'.