Cafe patrons' ages

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.

How old are you?

21 or under
3%
21 - 35
14%
35 - 50
25%
50 - 65
41%
Over 65
16%
None of your BeesWax
0%

Total votes: 474

Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Cafe patrons' ages

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Zanus-Gandren wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:56 pm I’m 22. And still nervous about the whole wearing skirts in public thing. Though I desperately want to do it for real.
Zanus, The only way you will be able to do it for real is to face your fears head on and just go out and enjoy your skirts. As most of us who have been skirting in public for years have found those fears are only in your head.. I have been skirting in public now for over 5 years full time and have not had a bad experience in all of that time.
I only wear skirts and dresses and as I said no problems.

So screw your head on tight and remember "The only thing you have to fear is fear itself".

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Welcome to the café.

You don't have to make your first trip in public a major event.

Do something small go to a gas station 2 towns over at night. Run into a burger king just do something small and quick

You will realize that people really don't care.

again welcome to the cafe
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Hello Zandrus,

Welcome to the Café. I second what both Fred and OldSalt1 said.

I'm 69 and started wearing skirts and dresses in public while presenting as a man in 2015. On average, excluding my brother and his wife, I have had 1 hostile encounter per year. None of them were in any way physically threatening. It's not just that I live in that hotbed of liberal, laissez-faire thinking, Portland, Oregon; I have worn skirts and dresses in 5 states and counting. I wear them to church -- it was one of the first places I wore a dress, hose and heels -- and work. In fact, I interviewed for my current job in a skirted suit, scarf blouse and t-strap heels.

I have worked with construction workers as the owner's rep in a dress and heels, bought hardware and car parts and usually go to my sports car club events in a skirt or dress. Indeed, the club president's wife introduced me to a new, female member as someone who "everyone looks to see what he is wearing."

Definitely, the case at our Christmas Party. All eyes were on me when I entered the venue in my red, sequined evening gown. I saw one woman give me a thumbs up. The other looks I noticed were approving if not admiring. In the dinner line a woman marveled at my ability to walk down the gangplank to the floating clubhouse where the dinner/dance was held in heels.

If an old guy like me can get that kind of approval, a young guy like you will knock them dead!

Trust me, I wouldn't have gotten this kind of reception 15 or 20 years ago, but today it's a whole new world!

As OldSalt1 suggested, take enough stealth walks outside that you begin to feel comfortable and then escalate. Understand that like me, every time you're about to push another self-described boundary, you'll do it with trepidation. Yes, you read it right, like me! I fully expected to not get the job I interviewed for in a skirt. Fooled me! I did it anyway because I wanted to get past that fear. Good thing I took the chance!

Not only did I get the job, but I proved to myself, once again, that almost without exception, things work better when you are your genuine self. Even when they don't turn out the way I want; I later realize, I dodged a bullet I didn't see at the time.

So, for your own sake, BE. YOUR. GENUINE. SELF. You'll be so much happier for it, you won't believe it.

And, you will inspire so many more people than you will ever know to be their genuine self.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Hiall

Post by Hiall »

Started 2020
I wear a skirt full time now. Even to work. It took about 5 months to do it every day
Amazed how little response i have seen. Probably a lot under the table.
Wondering how long does it take for the anxiety of being the only guy wearing a skirt go away.
Even in a small city.
Always feel that i am be judged even tho i think very it is from very few.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by Hiall » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:39 pm

Started 2020
I wear a skirt full time now. Even to work. It took about 5 months to do it every day
Amazed how little response i have seen. Probably a lot under the table.
Wondering how long does it take for the anxiety of being the only guy wearing a skirt go away.
Even in a small city.
Always feel that i am be judged even tho i think very it is from very few.
Greetings,
Looks like you have just joined/logged in -- welcome. You may want to explore the site categories a bit to see where questions fit or have been answered. The skirts and kilts section may be a good start. Your question is not one with a specific answer as it seems to vary with each person. For some it takes a long time; others have adapted very quickly, though I doubt ones 'awareness' is ever completely lost, comfort levels may match the days of so-called normal or more conforming attire in a few weeks or months. Anyway, enjoy exploring the site, lots of good info. And share a bit more about yourself here in introductions. Sounds like a grand start. A few of the guys do wear their skirts daily, some at work; other like myself are retired now but choose skirts or dresses full time.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Hiall wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:39 pm ...Wondering how long does it take for the anxiety of being the only guy wearing a skirt go away.
There's no set answer, but you will know you have got there when someone reacts and you have to stop and think "Why are they reacting like that to me?  Oh yes, I forgot, I am wearing a skirt."
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Dubadessa

Post by Dubadessa »

Just turned 48. Been loving skirts on men since I started noticing fashion and clothing styles since about 1980. Even though I was born in America, wearing free flowing garments over mens legs has been in both cultures from my ancestry. Kilts on one side and fustanelas (former Yugoslavia) on the other. I have photos of male relatives on both sides of my family wearing skirts or skirt-like clothing. I'm wondering how much of a difference being a child of immigrants and being exposed to different world cultures all my life has made it so it was more acceptable to me or if I'd always been a man-in-a-skirt loving person.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by Dubadessa » Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:14 am

Just turned 48. Been loving skirts on men since I started noticing fashion and clothing styles since about 1980. Even though I was born in America, wearing free flowing garments over mens legs has been in both cultures from my ancestry. Kilts on one side and fustanelas (former Yugoslavia) on the other. I have photos of male relatives on both sides of my family wearing skirts or skirt-like clothing. I'm wondering how much of a difference being a child of immigrants and being exposed to different world cultures all my life has made it so it was more acceptable to me or if I'd always been a man-in-a-skirt loving person.
Hola Dubadessa,

Though you've mentioned your birthdate here, I wonder if you meant for this to be posted to "introductions", where I think the rest of the message would garner more interest and feedback?
lithaborn

Post by lithaborn »

Hi, just registered so here I am. I'll make an intro post in a bit but in the meantime I'm a 49 year old from South staffs, UK. That's the bit the other side of the M6 North of Birmingham.

My other half bought me a kilt for my 40th and I've never looked back. I have a number of skirts, kilts and dresses and wear them "in the wild" as often as I feel like it.

Total disclosure, my OH sent me a link to the CNN article and that's how I found the place. Good to be here! I've already had a bit of a lurk and it looks like I'm in good company!

So yeah, 'mornin from grubby cannock
Nunquam scienter normalis
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

It is always nice to see more men starting to wear skirts in public.

Like pdxfashionpioneer said : Be your genuine self. It makes you happy.

Greetings from that tiny piece of land we call home at the North Sea where they speak some kind of English dialect, we call Dutch
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I think I have, but if I haven't, I was laid in 1961.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Rokje wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:07 am [...]
Greetings from that tiny piece of land we call home at the North Sea where they speak some kind of English dialect, we call Dutch
I always thought English and Dutch had a common ancestor (which was nearer to Dutch than English).  Then the English went and contaminated it with Greek, Latin, French and Indian words  ...  Then the Americans destroyed the pronunciation, spelling and grammar.    :-)
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

pelmut wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:41 am I always thought English and Dutch had a common ancestor (which was nearer to Dutch than English).  Then the English went and contaminated it with Greek, Latin, French and Indian words  ...  Then the Americans destroyed the pronunciation, spelling and grammar.    :-)
The theory is there was an Anglo-Frisian language, and the spectrum goes: Dutch - Frisian - Scottish - English. People agree or disagree, but mostly: languages don't form a nice tree which clear branches. Everyone was borrowing from everyone else. Words travel along with trade. There are some general trends. But yes, English and Dutch are pretty close as languages go. They say Frisian is the closest you can get to English without being English, but I understand this is controversial because it declares Scottish to be a mere dialect.
dressedbrewer

Post by dressedbrewer »

Hi all,
42 from Ireland. Slowly getting used to the idea that clothes don't have gender!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by dressedbrewer » Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:58 am

Hi all,
42 from Ireland. Slowly getting used to the idea that clothes don't have gender!
Greetings from Costa Rica;

Glad to have another kindred soul on board. I suspect you may have wished your post to be part of an introduction. To post it separately from this thread about our ages, you need to choose a new subject heading and tell all -- or at least the parts you wish to tell! Looking forward to hearing more.

Pura Vida,
Faldaguy