Do you have a free seat?

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
skirtingtherealissue

Do you have a free seat?

Post by skirtingtherealissue »

Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen

I’ve been reading here for quite a while, but hadn’t determined where my skirting came from and where it was going.

I’m a forty something guy from south east UK. Always had a liking for certain “traditionally female” attire and, following my separation, embarked on a strange journey a couple of years ago. Started out trying the TV thing (I know that this is not what this site is about) as I couldn’t quite get my head around the idea of just being a bloke in a skirt. Very soon I realised I don’t want to be, or present as, a woman; but I do want the extended variety and choices of clothing available when not restricted to “traditionally western” male attire. The experience from the TV experiment helped though as I realised I could just wear what I wanted without trouble :). I am lucky that I have a slim frame and average height, so choices from shop rails are limited only by what I feel comfortable in :D. I generally choose on or above knee skirts, mostly solid colours but a few check/tartan style. I also wear knee high boots, both with skirts and jeans or other trousers, and occasionally nail polish.

I am regularly seen out and about, although I am careful exactly where and when I am skirted for personal reasons, but so far reactions have been nothing but encouraging. Examples include two weeks in Scotland this year (I was working in Dundee, Dunfermline, Edinburgh and Glasgow – normal suit for work time, but skirt the rest of it), a week in the Netherlands (comment as I got on the ferry from two teenage/twentyish girls “nice skirt”), various pubs and clubs, and general shopping trips.

The biggest problem with wearing skirts is finding suitable complimentary garments to bring together an outfit that doesn’t look completely ridiculous on a bloke. Would love to challenge Gok Wan to come up with some alternatives for guys :alien:; and perhaps challenge Eddie Izzard and Paul O’Grady to put on a skirt without makeup, etc., on their shows. Interesting thought, perhaps?

Power to the skirt-wearers!
Ash
Milfmog

Re: Do you have a free seat?

Post by Milfmog »

:welcome:

Grab a chair and make yourself at home. I guess you've already discovered that we're mostly as pretty friendly bunch here so feel free to just jump into the conversations as the fancy takes you.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChrisM »

Welcome!

And thanks for the comments about the TV aspect. I came at it the other direction, have been wearing skirts for a while, and recently dabbled at real cross-dressing during Mardi Gras (when it's a pretty common procedure!) I however make no attempt to look like a woman - the mustache would be an issue just to start with!

I think that a lot of the TVs out there would be very interested in the simple ability to be a bloke in a skirt, and hope that we may be able to reach out to them to this end.

OK, lest I get the "we're not TVs" crowd into a tizzy, I'll stop that part of the conversation here.

I welcome you to the café, and hope that you find as much encouragement and camaraderie here as I have!

best regards,

Chris
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

:welcome: from the Scottish Borders.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Yes, Welcome to the cafe. The first coffee is on me,
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
skirtingtherealissue

Post by skirtingtherealissue »

Thanks for the warm welcome.
ChrisM wrote: I think that a lot of the TVs out there would be very interested in the simple ability to be a bloke in a skirt, and hope that we may be able to reach out to them to this end.
I think you're probably right here. I know of a few who had tried the same and suspect they would just prefer to be a guy in a skirt. I found this site from a post on a different forum specifically referring to men in skirts.
Ash

Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step. - Dr Martin Luther King Jnr.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Pull up a lawn chair, pour yourself a Starbucks latte', check out the local gossip and add some. Get out your lint brush and give your skirt a good brushing, cold weather tends to get all the static electricity active and lint sticks to everything, especially skirts, at least to mine anyway.
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

Welcome, Ash. It is heartening to know skirts as an option for men are being discussed elsewhere too. :D

Quiet Mouse
tooslowprius
Distinguished Member

Post by tooslowprius »

Just wanted to say welcome! :welcome: I hope you will find there are a lot of good people here in this site. I'm glad to see you found out that you can wear a skirt and still be a man! :rock: Once again welcome!