The monster is coming!

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Monster Pete

The monster is coming!

Post by Monster Pete »

Hi everyone

My name's Pete and I come from Northampton, england, though I'm presently living at the University of Surrey.

I've been interested in wearing skirts for a number of years. Initially I experimented with cross-dressing, but found it wasn't what I was looking for- I wanted to be a man! So that's when I discovered the MIS movement and found that I wasn't alone or weird :D I was an occasional poster on IMFF until that disappeared.

I don't actually own a skirt yet, since I don't expect my family would be entirely supportive of that, but I expect I will do now I'm 18 and living away from home. My first public outing was actually here, when there was a 'school disco' on at the student's union. One of my flatmates said I should wear her spare skirt, so of course I agreed. I think they were expecting me to go to the party as a schoolgirl, but I just put the skirt on instead of trousers, and got a few positive comments when people were sober :D Even better, I saw about five other guys who'd done exactly the same thing as me! So there were six guys wandering around in skirts that night :mrgreen:

I'm not sure which type of skirt to get as my first, probably either a denim one or a fairly flowing wrap-type skirt. I might even get a piece of cloth and make my own...

Anyway, hello all and it's good to be here!

Monster
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Re: The monster is coming!

Post by Since1982 »

:welcome: Please have a seat by the potted palm and order a nice hot latte' or chocolate. We talk about nearly everything here, the only things not talked about are listed on the first page of the site. So warm up and tell us about yourself. We have lots of sitemates in the United Kingdom, and always looking for more.
:welcome:

:king: :queen: :thumright: :rock: :thewave: :thewave:

:welcome:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

:welcome: Monster Pete :!:

What is your major?

You will probably find a mid to just above the knee, denium as
the most 'invisable' skirt. I would suggest a skirt with a slight
'A-line' or flare towards the hem-makes sitting easier.

It's great to see younger members at the Cafe'. You are the
ones who will further the cause, making MIS/K a 'normal' way
of life :!: :D

Uncle Al
Duncanville, TX
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Welcome aboard, Mr. Pete. It looks like blokes in skirts are getting to be fairly thick on the ground in the UK!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

Monster Pete wrote:My name's Pete and I come from Northampton, england, though I'm presently living at the University of Surrey.
You might put that in the "location" section in your profile. Knowing where someone lives is a big help in interpreting what they write.
Monster Pete wrote:I'm not sure which type of skirt to get as my first, probably either a denim one or a fairly flowing wrap-type skirt. I might even get a piece of cloth and make my own...
A lot depends upon (a) your shape and (b) the look you want to project. For instance, in my case, it's (a) round with a "spare tire" and (b) not like a fire hydrant, so I go for loose, flared skirts: over-the-knee or longer. Thinner, younger guys tend to go for short, straight skirts to show off their figure, but can also get away with the long, flowing skirts that 16-year-old flower-child girls sometimes wear.

Making your own is a lot of fun, but don't expect to get a skirt that looks good on the first try. (Sewing patterns don't help, since they usually aim to emphasize the femininity of the wearer's figure.)

As for denim, especially the washed-out denim popular here: I always figure it makes you look like you just finished changing the oil on your car, or maybe helped your friend to move to a new flat across town. But then, as the folks here will tell you, I'm a bit old-fashioned. (And grouchy! -- see my avatar. Obligatory rant: "you young whippersnappers are too spoiled! Why, in my day, I had to walk ten miles to school every day in my miniskirt and bare legs through 16 foot snowdrifts -- uphill both ways!")
Monster Pete

Post by Monster Pete »

Hi guys, thanks for the welcome! I've got my mug of tea and I'm starting to settle in here :lol:

The skirt I wore on friday had more material as it went down, but no defined pleats (it just hangs and folds wherever it wants) excuse my lack of technical knowledge :wink: and I have to say I rather liked it and the fit was perfect (better than some of my clothes :roll: ) I'm rather skinny (about a 28-29 inch waist) but I do have a pair of old jeans which are too short, so maybe I'll try 'hacking' those sometime as they're useless to me as they are. I would like something just above or below knee length to start with, and maybe try something a little shorter for going out :wink:

I'm also interested in men's fashion freedom in general, and I find the idea that something is 'in' because some designer has decided it should be to be a bit odd :? I think either sex should be able to wear whatever they wish to, and forcing people to do otherwise by convention is forcing them to be something they're not. I personally have great difficulty finding trousers that fit properly, due to being skinny and because of the odd style of wearing them halfway down your rear, which I don't like. I think university may be the ideal time to break the mould of convention, and I plan to make full use of the opportunity :D

Monster
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChrisM »

Hi Pete!

The first few attempts at finding 'your' style in a skirt frequently go wildly awry, so don't be put off if you find you've tried something stupid looking - we all did too.

I realize students are usually impecunious, but you might have a go at some jumble sales. Check with your flatmate to find out what size you are - you fit well in her skirt, so just look at the tag. I'm going to hazard a guess that you are a UK size 8 or 10 - but don't trust me on that!

Then you hit the jumble sales - or, frankly, even the trash skips at end of term - and just look at the tags. No fear of embarrassment, you're sticking up for the drama club or something. If you can find a half a dozen diverse "Size 10s" that catch your eye for 99p each. Try 'em in front of a mirror, or in front of an understanding lady friend. (You can ask the blokes, but the odds are that they don't have any criteria set for what looks good on a guy.)

Of course, if your flatmate is REALLY understanding she might let you test-drive your way through her entire skirt wardrobe, but that might seem too kinky for some!

In any event - Welcome Aboard!

Chris
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

In my fairly experienced skirted life I've found that denim or dark color knee length or slightly less straight skirts are invisible to nearly everyone. The more active you are, the looser a skirt you'll need. Running in a mid or low thigh straight skirt or miniskirt is no problem at all as the fulcrum of your upper legs is very short the closer you get to your beltline. The longer your skirt is, the more an A-line or gored skirt you'd probably like for fast walking or running. If you're a bicyclist and look around, you can still find "girls" bicycles in the back rooms of bike shops. Of course if you lean to shorter skirts, you don't need the big space for your skirt between the seat and handlebars. I don't know if Contra or Square dancing is popular over there but if so, peasant skirts or full skirts are commonly worn by men in America when Contra dancing. Most skirted men do wear "underskirts" when needed. Refer to my "screws and screwdrivers" thread. If you're older or have sensitive skin a nylon slip is very helpful with denim or khaki material skirts. I hope this small addition might help you getting started. :welcome:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Gus

Post by Gus »

Welcome Monster Pete!

I am so pleased that younger men are joining this movement - I was beginning to think we were all a bunch of fuddy-duddies! :wink: (Just kidding!)

I wish I had discovered the joys of skirt-wearing when I was your age.

Gus
:rock:
"Pay no attention to what the critics say; there has never been set up a statue in honor of a critic."
-Jean Sibelius
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Welcome to the café Pete. It's always good to have another Brit on the list.

Guildford is not too far from me, in fact I nearly went there to study Electronic Engineering back in the days when a student project could have been making a transistor from a slab of silicon :D . You probably learned about those times in history lessons; when knights in shining armour still roamed the land in search of damsels in distress to rescue from fire breathing dragons. When men were men (and wore dresses!) and bikes were British, when ships were made of wood and men were made of steel, when pansies were things you grew in a garden...

Sorry, getting carried away by the memories :(

Good to have you here and to see you're drinking tea like a proper Englishman (those odd yanks in the Boston area make theirs with salt water).

Have fun here,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Miket

Post by Miket »

Welcome, Pete,

It's good to hear from someone from The U of S. It is my alma mater - for two degrees so I know it well - although I was there when it had just started on the Stag Hill site, moving from Battersea. I'll start to show my age soon! I was up there last year - in trousers, unfortunately, for a meeting with AQA, for whom I do some work. A couple of years ago I did spend a day kilted in Guildford whilst my wife was at a similar meeting. Maybe if I'm there next year I might try a meeting with AQA kilted.
I've very fond memories of the Cathedral bells on a Sunday morning - I was in Battersea Court, in the house nearest the Cathedral....Is it still a problem.
best wishes

Miket
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

:welcome: , Pete, from the Scottish Borders.

I could recommend either a black watch kilt or a knee length denim skirt for starters, these are the ones which I have found to be the most invisible. Going into denim without crossdressing you could opt for the Union Kilt which is a casual kilt with big cargo pockets and wide reverse glengarry style pleating, or a straight denim cargo skirt from Midas. Bright tartans, light colours, longer or shorter lengths are best left to you gain more skirting confidence as they do attract more attention.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
Mipi
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mipi »

Welcome!

I would opt for kilt (or kilt like skirt). All those pleats are offering you a lot of freedom in moving around.
Phil R

Post by Phil R »

Hiya!

I've now got more skirts than my wife - thanks to e-bay! Strongly reccomend having a good search through there. Just don't outbid me! Lol!

Phil
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

Welcome from another refugee of the late, lamented IMFF. Good to know you have this place to play now. Yes, by 18 a man who wants to wear skirts should have some of his own.

Quiet Mouse