Tim Stannard :Introducing myself and stuff

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
radiostar

Tim Stannard :Introducing myself and stuff

Post by radiostar »

I have just re enrolled to this board after quite a while away.
My name is on the earlier members listings from a while back, HOWEVER: Things just sort of moved along and before I knew it, I had lost or forgotten my user name and password.

Simple things like the spacing of my name. So for a while, I was content to just browse through the messages.
I think this place is fantastic for giving confidence to those guys who thought " it was just them", that found the idea of skirting appealing. It is alway reassuring to know you are not alone.

After a while, I felt that the same ground was being covered again and again, but of course to the new readers, it was all brand new topics. I even resorted to asking Charlie to respond to a post on my behalf.
So I am listed as Tim Stannard from way back 2004? and radiostar from sept 2008, Nope, it ain't schitzophrenia ( And I can't spell!).
Other than a heart attack in October 2007, ( natures way of telling me to buy better quality cigars), Nothing has changed.
I wear skirts on very few occasions, although I often wear Sarongs in the house and garden, My skirting is often confined to when I am driving, as in my 'umble opinion, they are ideal for it.
Right, So hello to all you cafe dwellers, old and new. I will shut up now and just watch from the corner, next to that Palm.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Tim Stannard :Introducing myself and stuff

Post by crfriend »

Welcome back, Tim!

Sorry to hear about he heart attack, but fortunately it sounds like things worked out for the best.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
radiostar

Post by radiostar »

Thanks for that,
As they say, " I am the right way up and the lights still work", so I must be on the mend.

The morning ritual is prolonged by the tablet taking, however I am now an official "Old Bloke" So my medication is free.

Heart attacks sem to have strange effects on people, not just me, it makes you aware of your mortality, and the need to
do things while you still can, So the first two on my list are post here more often and try to write a blog entry more than once a month.
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

Welcome back to visibility, Tim. Dropping in to read and maybe putter around posting a bit is lovely. This board goes slowly enough that it is able to be taken in on irregular visits. Although you have seen it all before, or most of it anyway, I'd say you have a lot to offer as a voice of experience. :D
radiostar2

Post by radiostar2 »

You see, everything comes back in a circle, and that includes grumpy old men.
So Now I am radiostar2 from 2010.

Like an onion, lots of layers, but once you remove all the layers, there's nothin to see.

Nice to see this cafe still going.
Tim
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I remember the name Tim Stannard, welcome back Tim!!

:welcome: :welcome:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Tim, I too remember you :D

Welcome back to the ol' stompin' grounds :!: :mrgreen:

I know you have a lot to share with the newer folks, so jump
right in where, and when ever you want :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Interesting analogy, a while back Shrek 2 came out and Shrek was describing himself as being like an onion, with lots of layers. So when you describe yourself as a layered onion, I automatically think of Shrek....You look anything like Shrek???? I know I do, except for the ears and the green skin. LOLOL :alien: :hide: :alien:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Hi Tim, nice to see you are still here. I pop in to your web site now and then (just to admire the piccys of me) :mrgreen: and to read the guest book - must make an entry in it some time.

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Since1982 »

Charlie said: So keep the unpleasant things together i.e. work and trouser wearing, and break free during your own time. If you can't bring yourself to wearing what you might consider to be (shock, horror) a skirt, then seek comfort in shorts, but please, please not those dreadful, ugly, baggy, mid-calf things (called clam-diggers?); if you are considering wearing something that stops a few inches above your ankles, you might as well go the whole hog and wear trousers.
Charlie, you rant on about people discriminating against what you wear but here you are doing the same thing about what other people "prefer" to wear. I never thought I'd see YOU of all people practicing a double standard. Why do you think your choices are OK but someone else's choices are not?
Charlie ranted with: but please, please not those dreadful, ugly, baggy, mid-calf things (called clam-diggers?);
Isn't a "clam diggers" wearing man using the same "rights" you want for yourself, but are telling the other people not to want?

The only (shock, horror) I'm experiencing is the obviously changed attitude you're now evidencing towards those who don't agree with your clothing choices. I never thought I'd see "our" Charlie showing discrimination towards others. :blue:

Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

The guy was seeking advice, so I gave it. Whether he chose to accept or ignore the advice, I cannot say. I have no authority over him to say "Do this" or "Do that". I don't consider that statement to be a double standard, just an opinion.
When authority says to one half of the population "You must dress this way", while saying to the other half of the population "Dress how you please" - now that is a double standard, and that is what annoys me.
If I'm guilty of a double standard, it's unintentional and I apologise; like everyone else at the Cafe, I'm only human nad make human errors.

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

From a non-moderator's perspective, I viewed what Charlie had to say as a personal opinion, and one that he's perfectly entitled to. I also happen to agree that the "clam-digger" style looks equally atrocious on both sexes.
So, the point stands; if one is going to wear trousers -- of any length -- why niggle about the length, other than to call out what one thinks looks good or looks silly? To paraphrase the old car-parts commercials in the US, "Pants is pants". (Enjoy the mixed slang there.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
radiostar2

Re: Tim Stannard and Shrek

Post by radiostar2 »

Skip asked:
[ You look anything like Shrek???? ].
Nope, more like the Onion !

The analagy being, dried and crinkly skin, wider at the bottom than the top and a strange smell !

I also have "Stilton " Legs, a sort of creamy white colour with blue veins.

Anyway, Thanks for the welcome guys,
Charlie, I owe you an email.... and send me some new pics if you want.
I seem to be having more comebacks than Sinatra.

I think the motivation to post and speak up is two fold, The first and to me the most important is to show any guys who have just decided that they want some freedom of choice, that there is nothing unusual in wanting a skirt, kilt or sarong AND they are not alone.

I know when I first got the urge, and that is exactly what it was in my case, I thought I must be having a gender crisis and went to talk to a
Manchester based TV group. Very supportive, lovely people, but I realised it was not what I was searching for.

So to discover that there were lots of men who wanted to wear a skirt, was a real boost to the confidence. Although to this day, I have only seen two other men in skirts, Jon and Hamish). and I have seen a few in Sarongs in Spain but not many.

The second reason to speak up and post is to try to remove the taboo, Many guys need to remain annonymous, I sympathise with that and understand that telling the world thay they would prefer to wear a skirt could cause them to loose their partners and possibly their job.

So I feel, rightly or wrongly, that if the world knows that the guy who calls himself radiostar is actually Tim Stannard , then it may give others the courage to stand up and in turn start a groundswell of men who exercise the freedom of choice and wear something other than trousers, even if it is only in their back yard or house.
The more it is known, the more men will do it and the more likely it is to be a regular site.

Right, Thats me exhausted and talked out for the next five years, Time for another Glass of Red,
You may begin to regret the welcome,
Tim