Hello, I'm new here and hope this forum is useful

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
MarkReaves

Hello, I'm new here and hope this forum is useful

Post by MarkReaves »

I'm new here and wanted to make a general introduction to myself.

I'm a 24 year old guy living in California. I'm interested in many topics including kilts.

My personal preference is the "Utility Kilt". I am not fond of traditional kilts as they just do not fit what I need/like. The utility kilt provides the pockets, neutral colors and comfort I need and deserve. Simple as that.

I am in the process of researching so that I can make my own first kilt as I feel $200+ is a bit much for something I can make at home myself for sub $100. Plus, I bet it would be fun to make my own kilt and I would feel good that a piece of clothing I'm wearing is something I made myself.

Anyway, greetings to all and I wish all well.
Milfmog

Re: Hello, I'm new here and hope this forum is useful

Post by Milfmog »

Hi Mark and welcome to the cafe,

You'll find a variety of folks here with opinions on many subjects and knowledge of some of them :D.

I see that you are drawn towards kilts and that's fine but don't rule out other types of skirt. I own a variety of kilts, two traditionally styled (though not wool or plaid) and two modern designs one a black denim Union Kilt (similar to a Utilikilt) and a recently purchased Utilikilt Survival which I find fabulous when travelling. My wife tells me that the UK is her favourite. The kilts are great and the pocket arrangements on the UK make it insanely practical apart from the fact that when fully loaded it would weigh almost as much as I do.

Much as I like kilts,I also own a variety of other skirts ranging from ankle length to 15" minis. All of them get worn out and about and are great in different circumstances; for instance the minis are too short for me to sit down in public without being too revealing for comfort but they are fantastic for walking in hot weather.

So drag up a chair and make yourself at home here, the natives are friendly and the coffee is just how you'd make it yourself :D

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

:welcome:

I know how you feel. I've made a couple of kilts, but have 'out grown' them.
I didn't know that UK's are now up around $200.00 :(
I have 3 Stillwater kilts and love them. They look like a kilt made in
Scotland, but at a fraction of the price. Heck, for the cost of 1 UK
I can get 2 SWK's. If you're interested, visit their website at
http://www.stillwaterkilts.com and get a real treat. The last 2
that I received, I placed the order on a Friday night, late. They arrived
in the mail on the following Tuesday. Thats 2 UK's and 3 SWK's in my closet.

Anyhow,

:welcome:

Uncle Al
Duncanville, TX
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Welcome Mark. Hopefully, you've found just the site for you. There are quite a few members here, mostly long time members, that are into kilts and masculine type skirts. I'm one. Started in sarongs in the Pacific in '72 moved into home sewn and later bought straight simple twill or denim skirts when all my sarongs wore out in 1982, found this site in 2004, started going out publically in 2005 and wonder still what took me so long. It's a non-event. I get 1,000 compliments to every 1 dimwitted remark. Mostly from women that say what a good idea a skirted garment is for a man or for a man's plumbing. Anyway, welcome and I hope you find the kind of company you're looking for and can look past anyone that's not what you're looking for. This is not a private site so there is more than one outlook here. To each his own. :thewave: :thewave: :welcome:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
MarkReaves

Post by MarkReaves »

Thank you all for your kind words. :D
I didn't know that UK's are now up around $200.00
For my size and length, the original is $200 even. I did see some other kilts for around $100, but they lack the functionality I need, so I was planning on making my own (post in Sewing board).
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

Welcome. Like you, I have also have an interest in new styled kilts. If you're not a Scot, tartans are really out-of-place in this country. And like you, I aspire to have a UK or something similar, but also find the price prohibitive. Good luck with the sewing. If you pull it off, well, you're a better man than me, Gunga Din! Guess I'll keep searching for that style of skirt (on the sale racks, naturally) that speaks to the Y chromosome. But keep us posted if you find any good alternatives online.
sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
Colin
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Colin »

Welcome Mark. There's a lot of encouragement here.

I haven't posted so much lately as it would be the same old things again. My denim kilt etc. I will get a tartan kilt in August, so I will have more to say. I enjoy my kilt, and in the house, sarongs. I hope to find a suitable kilt for work someday, as denim is not an office material and traditional tartan will be too Scottish.

I hope that you find interesting posts and encouragement here. :D
Colin.
MarkReaves

Post by MarkReaves »

I'm of Scottish decent (Campbell) but just do not like the traditional styled kilt and feel "some" of the newer ones are better suited for todays world. People evolve, so should clothing ;)

At this time I'm making a kilt out of a $2 a yard cotton material. So far so good. I plan to make several kilts and plan to get better at it. Eventually I may make a hybrid between a traditional kilt and a utility kilt and have it designed for winter use (coming winter maybe) and see how it goes.

Don;t know yet how the current kilt will come out (utility kilt with box pleats).