Hi

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
chris

Hi

Post by chris »

Hi,

I'm new around here. I'm (almost) 39 years old, male, Irish, and I've recently realised how annoyed I am that I'm not "allowed" to wear what I want to in public. I've started wearing skirts (and other "women's" clothing) around the house (I live alone).

I would like to do same in public. However, I live in one of the "rougher" areas of the city, so I'm a bit, well, scared to do so.

Now before you say "you're Irish - what's the problem!?" - I don't understand where the idea that Irish men wear kilts comes from. As far as I can tell, the only men I've ever seen in Ireland wearing kilts have been Scottish tourists / football supporters. I could try and put together a plan to pretend to be one (I would have to leave the house in trousers, for instance) but I'm trying to achieve freedom here. And part of the freedom I would like to achieve is the freedom to not be confined to just one kind of skirt!

So I'm looking for advice. Reading the posts here, it sounds like a denim skirt is the safest skirt to wear. What length? I have a nice above-the-knee one, but it has a horrible split in the front. What kind of top should be worn - especially for someone who is a bit "rotund"? What about shoes? Colours? Basically I would like to be as "invisible" as possible for my first time (at least). Of course, I'm presuming that invisibility brings (relative) safety - does it? Any other safety tips?

Thanks.
Uncle Al

Re: Hi

Post by Uncle Al »

:welcome:

Knee length denim skirt, socks, sneakers/tennis shoes, casual shirt
should let you blend in quite well. A denim skirt will look like shorts
if it is not too tight. The main thing is, go with confidence :D

How you portray/carry yourself will make a big difference. Be
oblivious to yourself. You're doing nothing 'out of the ordinary'.

Best wishes :!: :D

Uncle Al
Duncanville, TX
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
owen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by owen »

What part of Ireland are you living in? If it's Dublin, have no fear, yesterday I saw a guy walking from Grafton St. to O'Connell Bridge in a long black skirt and nobody seemed to notice, and that's exactly my experience too. Irish people are so laid back that the worst you're likely to get is a bit of slagging. Try it and see!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

There are 279 different Irish tartans, here are a few: Kennedy Irish Modern Tartan, Limerick Irish County Tartan, Limerick Irish County Modern Tartan, Tyrone Irish County Tartan..etc.

Scotweb store has Irish kilts, Welsh Kilts, Scottish Kilts and lots of camo and other colored kilts that have no plaid at all.

web1.scotweb.co.uk is their website. It's a VERY interesting site. Check it out!

:thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :buttkick: :ciao: :faint: :shadow: :sorry:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Skirtlover61

Post by Skirtlover61 »

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum. You say you live in a rough area, I understand that. A lot of people don't approve of men wearing skirts and there is always a chance of running into trouble makers. We have always got to use common sense. You are the only one that can decide whether you can wear skirts in public. Maybe you can fine a safe part of the city and you might try wearing a skirt when you go shopping there. Good luck to you.
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

I'd go with Uncle Al's suggestions! I've worn similar (black knee-length skirt vice denim) in Tullamore/Kildare/Dublin on an evening out (or two)! Like others have done, that was a case of changing from tr*users to skirt, while out in the country and receiving no adverse reactions, kept things that way for the (rail) journey(s) back to Dublin. Did get a (non-aggresive) comment once (from a motorist!) alongside the Liffey, but that was in the rush-hour! So yes, it can be done, but only in your own time and comfort levels.

As for Kilts in Eire, your experience mirrors mine. Outside of Football/Rugby Internationals (& then 99% Scots), I've only seen Kilts in a 'formal' setting, i.e., bands or the odd wedding, and that's in some 39 trips to the Emerald Isle, and going almost everywhere! I suspect most of the fantastic selection of tartans available date from the '80s or '90s (19, not 18!), and are principally 'export' material. Nothing against that, of course, it's all good revenue! If you do decide on a Kilt, make sure you know its 'history', even if you're bound for Lansdowne Road! Good Luck! :D
chris

Post by chris »

Thanks for the responses! I've placed an order for better denim skirts.

Uncle Al - I get what you are saying about "doing nothing out of the ordinary". I'm not sure I'm that good of a liar though :)

Owen - I'm in Dublin's north inner city. The apartment building I'm in is relatively new, and OK (mostly immigrants who keep to themselves), but I'm almost completely surrounded by some of the older more "colourful" apartment buildings.

So the plan is to wait for the order to be fulfilled, and then put together a plan for an outing. I'm thinking of maybe heading to a busy shopping centre in a relatively affluent area of the city and changing when there.
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

Welcome, Chris. Consider a Blaklader work skirt. It is quite masculine in appearance and rugged. Don't think anyone would consider that it didn't speak "man" strongly.
sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

chris wrote:Thanks for the responses! I've placed an order for better denim skirts.

Uncle Al - I get what you are saying about "doing nothing out of the ordinary". I'm not sure I'm that good of a liar though :)

<snip>.

So the plan is to wait for the order to be fulfilled, and then put together a plan for an outing. I'm thinking of maybe heading to a busy shopping centre in a relatively affluent area of the city and changing when there.
Chris--You're 'dressed' for the occasion. You go into your local
'mart' and purchase a paper and soda. Is that out of the ordinary?
I don't think so--and you are not 'lying' about anything. You have
a 'thirst' and also want something to read when you're in the park.
You gather your items, go to the counter, pay for them and walk out
of the building. This is a 'very ordinary' thing to do. 10 minutes-tops, maybe less.
What a better way/place for your first skirted outing. :D

This is not 'Mission Impossible' but 'Mission Possible'.
It will be easier than placing a hot knife through butter :!: :D

Best wishes!

Uncle Al
Duncanville, TX
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
chris

Post by chris »

Haven't gone out in a skirt yet. Something that I didn't mention in my introduction is that I'm prone to panic attacks, and going out in a skirt is pushing that envelope a bit too far at the moment. Goddamn :(.

But I'm working on it, and looking forward to the day when I can utter my own cry of "FREEDOM!" :)
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

chris wrote:...and looking forward to the day when I can utter my own cry of "FREEDOM!" :)
It will come and when it does you'll be astounded at how natural it feels.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce