Greetings from the northern rockies!

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
mountain-mug

Greetings from the northern rockies!

Post by mountain-mug »

Hello,

After lurking at Skirt Cafe, it is time to join the community! Being in my late 50's and coming to the conclusion that we only go around once, and better make the best of it, I have added skirts to my wardrobe. My introduction was the Mountain Hardwear Mountain Kilt, a very comfortable hiking "kilt" that is really more skirt-like. It has no pleats, no pattern, but it really opened my eyes as to how practical a skirt is compared to pants or shorts. It only took a few walks to make me a convert! Then it was on to the thrift shops, where one can pick up very serviceable skirts for $2-4. Denim was an obvious choice with a good selection. This took place a couple of years ago, and since then I have added several corduroy skirts in longer lengths.

I am blessed with an understanding wife of 30+ years who fully supports my fashion choices, in fact she gave me a wonderful brown brushed cotton skirt for Christmas! Her support definitely helps!

I'll be posting later with some thoughts about reactions in my town, skirting in a very harsh climate (-30 F or so), etc. But for now I look forward to interacting with a very diverse and intelligent group of people.

Best,

mountain-mug
TomH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TomH »

Welcome aboard, Sir!!

I think you'll be glad you dived in. We have much in common. I like the denim skirts, I visit any thrift store I get close too, hiking skirted is great, wife gets along with me and we're probably from the same area of the country. I grew up in North Idaho.

This group is well rounded in experience and thoughts.

TomH
Colin
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Colin »

Welcome Mountain-Mug. I have found a lot of encouragement and help at SkirtCafe, so I am sure that you will. Happy skirting.
Colin.
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

Hi Mountain-Mug. Hiking introduced me to a hiking kilt too (Sportkilt), and I never looked back, adding a new kilt for variety every couple of months or so. I'm drawn towards skirts in the denim line, and secretly have a couple already, but unfortunately I'm certain that those around me would think I've finally flipped if I suddenly went around in one - they think I'm crazy wearing kilts, and can't understand it...what they'd make of skirts as well I can't imagine. You're lucky to have such a supportive partner. I don't get support, just toleration. I do wear a much thinner material skirt which looks like a kilt, but that's as far as I can take things at the moment.
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Mountain-Mug, that is a very beautiful part of the U.S. that you live in. Perfectly conducive to hiking, too. I passed through in 1983 while Greyhound bussing around the "lower 48". Enjoy our company and welcome from Australia.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
mountain-mug

Post by mountain-mug »

Thanks for all the kind words! I'm looking forward to being an active participant! And yes, this part of the country is gorgeous! Looking out the windows at snow-capped mountains never fails to bring a smile!
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

Welcome from the Scottish Borders. I mainly wear kilts but have a few denim skirts as well.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

Hello to mountain-mug! Here as a wife to a skirt wearer myself I like the idea of holiday skirt giving. My husbands skirts are an issue between us- he doesn't wear them often enough for a man that likes skirts. :shifty: Maybe if I give him some of his own skirts as presents he'd wear them more.

I'm glad your wife is encouraging and she's of course welcome to play with us here too if she wants. :D

Quiet Mouse