My new Utilikilt :(

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

After all the discussion in various places about Utilikilts, I thought I'd try one. I figured it might be a nice skirt-like garment I could feel comfortable wearing around family, etc. If anyone gives me a hard time about wearing a "skirt," I could just point them to the on-line "mockumercials" on the Utilikilts web site -- some of them are a real hoot!

I ordered a 46" x 21.5" tan "Mocker", which arrived yesterday (Saturday.)

It ended up being more expensive than I thought: close to $300 vs. about $500 for my "real" kilt (handmade by a Scottish-trained kiltmaker.) And it was several weeks before they would even take my order.

Unfortunately, it doesn't fit right.

The waist size is perfect, just like my skirts and my trousers. But the hip size is too small. Instead of hanging from the waistband, it wedges itself on my hips. Because it's so tight, I can hardly get my hand into the front (slash) pockets. In order to fully empty the front pockets, I had to take the thing off. The back pockets are impossible. Also, for all their hype about how many beer bottles you can get into the pockets, they're no bigger than in my Dockers.

A second annoyance is that the apron sticks out in front. The pleats are sewn down from the waistband to just above the widest part of the hips, and at the point where the sewing-down stops, there's a bend and the apron sticks out, in a way that is -- um, er :oops: -- suggestive. The front pleats also don't lie flat, but curl around, as if the kilt was designed for someone with an around-both-thighs measurement that was about 6" less than mine.

All in all, it looks like it is way too small for me. But I don't know how the waist will work if I get a larger one (48"? 50"?) They advise against getting one with a waist that's too large.

The thing that annoys me is that when I ordered it, I specifically asked if there would be a problem. My Scottish kilt is tight in the hips and thighs, and that's why I asked. But they said there was plenty of room, and that it was supposed to hang from the waist.

The irony is that Utilikilts bills the Mocker as an answer to those "totally lame Dockers," but my Dockers, which I wore that evening, are probably the most comfortable trousers I own, and a lot more comfortable and good-looking than the Mocker.

I E-mailed Utilikilts.com, as I couldn't get anyone on the phone. My E-mail said essentially what I've written here. They responded that I should call on a weekday to discuss returning it. I'll return it if they think that's the only way to resolve the issue, but I'd kind of hoped that they would be able to suggest something that would fit better. I'd really like to see Utilikilts take off and I'd love to be able to wear a Utilikilt around town, to visit family, etc. But what they sent me just won't work.

I'll see if I get a more helpful response when I call.
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

Deleted.
Last edited by SkirtDude on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

AMM,

Was it off of the scratch 'n dent rack, or was it from regular stock? I've noticed that some UK's do seem to be a bit smaller than they should be. That's one reason why I'm done from seven to one. Another reason is that I feel that my traditional hand-sewn wool kilts fit better and look better. The final reason, is that the UK that I kept, which fit right, has somewhat disintegrated. Is a black survival model. Got it a little over two years ago, when I worked there. Should've realized that since it had been repaired before being put on the scratch 'n dent rack, that it probably would fail again. It's very close to becoming rags to use while working on the car. I still wear it for really grungy work, like working in the yard, or going to an automotive junkyard, since it's more comfortable than jeans for that kind of work.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

Kilted_John wrote:Was it off of the scratch 'n dent rack, or was it from regular stock?
I have no idea what rack they took it off of. They're ~ 3,000 miles from me, so it was a bit hard to see exactly what they did :)
I've noticed that some UK's do seem to be a bit smaller than they should be.
The measurements they took from me -- waist and length -- are fine. It's the ones that they evidently assumed that don't work. If I were built like Humpty-Dumpty, if I never used my legs for anything except to push a gas pedal, it would probably fit fine.
... I feel that my traditional hand-sewn wool kilts fit better and look better.
Well, my (one) traditional hand-sewn wool kilt has the same problems, though nowhere near to the same degree -- it fits like a thick wool blanket wrapped around my stomach.

I tried on my "reunion kilt" (the one I made out of my college reunion fabric) again, and once again I notice how much better it fits than the two "boughten" ones, even though it's the first (and so far only) kilt I've ever made. And it looks a lot better than the UK, even though it has some obvious design errors and the sewing is not exactly professional quality.
BrotherTailor

Post by BrotherTailor »

Hmmm... 21.5 inch fall from waist to hem? I assume you are fairly short? I made mine from Heavy cotton twill and there is a 24 inch fall fall from waist to hem, worn a tad lower than trousers or a female style skirt (which I wear at my natural waist) it comes to the kneecap.
Are the pleats edgesewn inside and out or just outside? is it permanent press? (in other words, does it need special ironing/washing to look correct?) I know that my workilt looks better freshly laundered and the pleats crisply pressed .... after a few hours of driving in the truck it looks a bit rumpled, although a quick shake and readjust puts things to rights.
I did not stitch the pleats closed down to the hipline as suggested, so it is amply roomy...if a bit fuller through the hips. I simply stitched the waistband on and left the pleats free from there down...jno pockets, just a sporran attached by Dees to the belt loops.
If I were you I'd return it for perhaps another model in the same size for comparison. 300 bucks for scrap fabric is too much. I know there is only about 40 dollars worth of fabric in it and labour on top, even doubling the price to make a profit would top the price out at 200 bucks plus shipping...which should be like 5 bucks in the US.
I figured it out that if I were to make these kilts that is what I would charge (and at present the US and Canadian dollars are at par).
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Hallo, after reading this, it makes you think twice about ordering a kilt from so far away, for such a price. I live in the netherlands and have been thinking about purchasing a Utilikilt. There is always the possibility that one person has just another shape than they made the kilt for, but when you can't pop around and fit it or exchange it, you become more careful before you order.

Probably most kilts fit perfectly, I hope. I would think that they should give a no problem service and solve any difficulties, but meanwhile, you are left without your kilt. That's the difficulty with so few shops carrying those products throughout the country. or not having any ( in the Netherlands. )

Wheras women's skirts are a dime a dozen everywhere. But then again, how many men's skirts does a guy need? I wear more skirts because I wear all soorts, it is more colourful, and there are more options to choose from, but that's everybody's personal choice.

Peter v
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

Sorry to hear the Utilikilt didn't work out. I don't possess one myself but have five similar style kilts, two from Freedom Kilts and three from Union Kilts (two denim and one corduroy) and I have found these very satisfactory.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I also have a Unionkilt that I bought this summer and have worn it pretty much to the exclusion of all my other skirts and kilts ever since I got it.

I was on the point of buying a Utilikilt but chickened out because I was concerned about getting the fit right. I was able to visit Union kilts and try several different kilts for size before deciding which one to buy and I have to say I'm glad I did. I bought a black denim kilt which fits beautifully but the same size in corduroy just did not hang well on me and so I had to go for a larger size, had I bought on line that could have been very disappointing.

In the end there is just no substitute for trying clothes on before buying.

Have fun,

Ian.

PS I still want a cord kilt but unfortunately it seems that no one else does and Union kilts are not planning to make any more in the near future :(
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
BrotherTailor

Post by BrotherTailor »

PS I still want a cord kilt but unfortunately it seems that no one else does and Union kilts are not planning to make any more in the near future
------------------------------------------------------------------------

See your local needleworker: tailor, seamstress, etc. I'm sure they'd be happy to make you up a kilt in corduroy. Or make your own if you have the tools and time. 8)
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

THere is no substitute for trying on the garment.

That being said, although women's skirts are a dime a dozen, not every skirt of the same size will fit the same on the same person. The standars just aren't standard.
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

PS I still want a cord kilt but unfortunately it seems that no one else does and Union kilts are not planning to make any more in the near future
AFAIK Union Kilts are only discontinuing the beige corduroy but will still be producing the chocolate coloured version which sells a lot better, but maybe Union Richard can confirm this. I'm not surprised the beige has been a disappointing seller - although its a very comfortable kilt and is in the same style as their denim kilt, it is a kind of peachy shade which looks rather fem and I must admit to some trepidation before my first trip into town wearing it. Personally I think darker coloured kilts/skirts work much better on men than do pastel shades.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

cessna152towser wrote:AFAIK Union Kilts are only discontinuing the beige corduroy but will still be producing the chocolate coloured version which sells a lot better, but maybe Union Richard can confirm this.
Unfortunately they are discontinuing the chocolate brown cord as well, Richard refunded my money when he found they did not have sufficient material in stock to make me one.
cessna152towser wrote:I'm not surprised the beige has been a disappointing seller - although its a very comfortable kilt and is in the same style as their denim kilt, it is a kind of peachy shade which looks rather fem and I must admit to some trepidation before my first trip into town wearing it. Personally I think darker coloured kilts/skirts work much better on men than do pastel shades.
I tend to go for darker colours, not because they are more masculine but simply because I don't want to have to launder the kilt every time I wear it. Even fairly light marks will show on the lighter fabric, it's just not practical for me.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Hallo, whether utilikilts, or Union kilts, I think that it is a good Idea to have light colours options. Light colours may be more suitable for sunday visiting the family wear or formal gatherings. Darker colours are more practical, but also can give a more "workman" , or I'm going to work on the car suggestion.

But whatever, I hope they will keep fabricating, giving good service, and listening to the wishes of the buying public. Now that we've got a few men's skirt manufacturers we've gotta hope they'll stay in business.

Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

UPDATE, with digressions

Post by AMM »

UPDATE:

I finally got hold of the guy at Utilikilts. After a few E-mail issues -- my E-mail to him goes into his spam folder, and vice versa -- he gave me a return number. I mailed it back 6 days ago, but haven't gotten any confirmation that they got it.

He said that they've had a problem with sizing -- evidently, they don't yet have a spec. for all the measurements for each size, so there's a lot of variation from kilt to kilt. I also found that my kilt's waist measurement was actually more like 45" instead of 46", and the "booty" (butt) measurement was 49". He wasn't sure what the "booty" measurement was supposed to be. I suggested that he take a tip from some on-line merchants (e.g., Vermont Country Store) and make all the measurements accessible from their website.

I haven't decided what I want to do: do I ask for a 48" or 50", and hope that it will fit better? Ask for my money back and try making one myself?

DIGRESSION and RANT:

On Sunday, I wore my Scottish kilt the whole day. I was driving to a Scottish dance some 150 miles away, and figured I should get some MUG-wearing experience at the same time. I can see why most of the dancers don't wear their kilts to and from the dance -- they're really kind of a pain.

First, the sporran is always getting in the way: when I drive, it presses on the steering wheel. When I use the loo, it keeps me from lifting the apron. When I dance it whacks me in the you-know-what.

Second, it was fairly cool, and my thighs got cold (except when i was dancing.) Normally, I would wear a long skirt and long socks that extend up above the drafty area, but in a kilt, that would mean thigh-high socks, which I can't get. Basically, I would need wool tights to stay warm.

(I was wearing my kilt slip, so I didn't have to worry about people seeing up my kilt when I sit down.)

Finally, since the kilt only fits if the top hits your ribs, I started to get bruises. On the way home I took off the belt and the sporran, which helped some, but it was still not comfortable.

So, I think I'm in the market for a semi-traditional (tartan) kilt, as well as a better Utilikilt.

DIGRESSION2:

Some of you may have gotten hints that I'm a bit of a feminist. Well, I do sometimes browse the odd feminist site, and I ran across a blog article about Utilikilts: http://blog.iblamethepatriarchy.com/200 ... -blogging/ I thought it was amusing, but then, I find the Utilikilts marketing style more than a little over the top. I wonder if the CDC (US: Centers for Disease Control) have a category for testosterone poisoning or testosterone inhalation, and, if so, whether there's a "hot spot" in Seattle.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

AMM,
In the loo, just slide the sporran round to the side. Yes they are a pain when driving and sometimes the bouncing is annoying, I often wear the kilt without a sporran because they are a bit of a pain. If only I was confident enough to wear a proper skirt, I am about to order a cargo skirt from Midas but probably will never be brave enough to wear it in public.