Kilt wear shop for men

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Kilt wear shop for men

Post by iain »

Check out Guilty -- New Age Kilt Wear. They have a shop on the 2nd floor of Kingly Court, which is just off Carnaby Street in London W1.

http://www.guiltykilts.com

I went by their shop yesterday and it had some great stuff. I was in a hurry and couldn't stop for long, but the place is well worth a visit. Maybe not the cheapest, but you've got to support these new places, if we want to see more of them.

The only down side which dismayed me a little was the photos on their website which seemed to be of Gay Pride in Paris, Brighton and London, 2004. I was shocked because I didn't think the kilt was a gay icon, and I really hope it doesn't become one!
The only thing man cannot endure is meaninglessness.
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

The only down side which dismayed me a little was the photos on their website which seemed to be of Gay Pride in Paris, Brighton and London, 2004. I was shocked because I didn't think the kilt was a gay icon, and I really hope it doesn't become one!
Well, I'd guess from the 'about us' information on that website that the two guys who run that business are gay. I don't see that as important in any way - but it looks as if they are trying to aim their marketing at the potential gay customer.

I think most people would guess that there was a gay interest there. I mean . . . a furry kilt? . . . a PVC kilt? . . . an ultra low waisted kilt? That's just a little bit . . . unusual, isn't it? :shock:

Nevertheless, there are some nice looking kilts there. I like the look of one of the Camo ones. Bit expensive though. Still - good luck to them. As far as I am concerned, the more men who wear skirts of kilts the better. I don't care if they are gay or dull. Doesn't worry me.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
The Satirist

Post by The Satirist »

I wouldn't worry too much about it being marketed towards gay men. Many fashions have been pushed forward for all of us by gay men. If they (gay men) are the boldest and get things more accepted for us all then I think it's a good thing.
Freedom since July 3, 2004.

Genius can be recreated - Stupidity is irreplaceable. -The Satirist 2004-
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

The Satirist wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about it being marketed towards gay men. Many fashions have been pushed forward for all of us by gay men. If they (gay men) are the boldest and get things more accepted for us all then I think it's a good thing.
Cannot say I agree with that! :( With clothes, in particular, it seems to work the other way. The "G" word is now more often used to mean, "naff" fashion, rather than specifically referring to homosexuals. Perhaps there is a 'link' between (younger) peoples' perception of the two? Like Iain, I really would not like to folk perceive a mistaken connection between homosexual behaviour and Kilt wearing. As I've mentioned before, we have several friends who have chosen a homosexual lifestyle - that's their personal business - but none of them would dream of wearing Kilts, let alone skirts!
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

I really would not like to folk perceive a mistaken connection between homosexual behaviour and Kilt wearing. As I've mentioned before, we have several friends who have chosen a homosexual lifestyle - that's their personal business - but none of them would dream of wearing Kilts, let alone skirts!
People don't 'chose' a homosexual lifestyle - any more than a person might 'choose' a heterosexual lifestyle. To the best of my understanding, a persons' sexuality is simply an aspect of who they are - it is not a matter for choice.

If a possible perceived connection between homosexuality and kilt wearing is mistaken - as you rightly say - then why worry about it? If we start to worry about all of the mistaken perceptions that may arise when people see a man in a kilt or a skirt - like: "he's gay; he's a crossdresser; he's a transvestite; he's a pervert; he's Scottish; he's a show-off; he's drunk . . . etc." - then we would probably never go out of the front door!
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Christopher wrote:People don't 'chose' a homosexual lifestyle - any more than a person might 'choose' a heterosexual lifestyle. To the best of my understanding, a persons' sexuality is simply an aspect of who they are - it is not a matter for choice.
At one time, I was perhaps willing to believe that that was indeed the case. I have always had a 'built-in' curiosity above, well, almost everything and, in particular, People, intrigue me. I grew up, more in the company of animals, birds, etc., until I was five. Their 'designed' instinct is to be heterosexual - so, surprisingly, are Humans! So People were a new challenge to 'interpret'. There were/are certain 'key' factors that constantly re-occur(ed) amongst the (homosexual) folk I knew that I first dismissed as 'chance'. 50+ years on, those factors have remained pretty much constant.
Christopher wrote:If a possible perceived connection between homosexuality and kilt wearing is mistaken - as you rightly say - then why worry about it? If we start to worry about all of the mistaken perceptions that may arise when people see a man in a kilt or a skirt - like: "he's gay; he's a crossdresser; he's a transvestite; he's a pervert; he's Scottish; he's a show-off; he's drunk . . . etc." - then we would probably never go out of the front door!
That's the point, sadly - many folk don't get past the front door, either physically or mentally. I find the media-led mis-conceptions at best irritating, at worst manipulative, as to what "Society" 'thinks' (about most things, if we're honest!). It's just that when the time-wearied cliches stagger onto the news/masgazine pages/TV, it seemily re-inforces irrational prejudices.
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

hmm, shouldn't that be, "at best manipulative, at worst irritating" ?

I mean, manipulative stuff, we can all shrug off, but if something is irritating, it must have already got to us. therefore, I'd say irritating is the worst-case scenario, but manipulative would be the best-case scenario, in this best-case, worst-case scenario comparison.

best-case/worst-case comparisons can be confusing at best, annoyingly complex at worst, as they turn a simple thing into something requiring a bit of think-through, but after I worked this one out, it surprised me! perhaps we can all do our bit by keeping to an accepted standard. what does everyone else think?

I agree that being seen as gay is one more tag stuck on a skirt that we can do without. that said, they did have some nice kilts in there, and they were real friendly! so i still will get something from there to support them.
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

Those are attractive kilts with lots of variety. Silver sporrans too. I can see the appeal for anyone wishing to be noticed.

Quiet Mouse
boca

Post by boca »

The have some nice kilts there for sale! They are definitely one of the many "modern kilt" varieties that are popping up. :)

To be honest, any "gay" undertones to this site don't concern really concern me. I am glad to see more people promoting modern kilts.
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

deleted
Last edited by SkirtDude on Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
olivierinlondon

who cares ?

Post by olivierinlondon »

who cares if kilts are for gay or straight ????
You mentioned guilty kilts, and they don t make any secret about making FASHIONABLE kilts, for men either gay or straight !!!!!!!!!!
So it s your OWN choice to wear them or not.
:)
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

he's right!
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Some of them look quite good; some look cheap.

I'll probably pass - they are a little flimsy for me in terms of kilts - I prefer to pay full whack and get the real thing. If it's less than £250, I start to worry about corners being cut, although I admit that by moving away from trad kilt material and design, one has rather more scope for managing the price.

Put another way, £120 for some of the better kilts seems like decent value to me.