Will We See Gordon in a Kilt?

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Will We See Gordon in a Kilt?

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

Gordon Brown is about to become Prime Minster & being as he's Scottish I was wondering what people thought the chances were of seeing him in a kilt?
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

ziggy_encaoua wrote:Gordon Brown is about to become Prime Minster & being as he's Scottish I was wondering what people thought the chances were of seeing him in a kilt?
I would very much doubt it! Like Blair (born in Edinburgh), he's a "Sassenach" (lowlander), born in Glasgow, and probably holds firm to the "Kilts are (only) for Highlanders" point of view, that has prevailed for so long, esp. amongst the staunch "Church of Scotland" brigade. It's probably the extreme fallibilities of his colleagues that have fortuitously 'hidden' his continuing debacles as Chancellor. I really, really hope he never dons a Kilt - it'll be a major setback for those of who do! :naughty:
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

Charlie Kennedy was highlander but I can't ever remember seeing in a kilt? I did meet him once we discussed our favourite Iggy Pop albums
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

ziggy_encaoua wrote:Gordon Brown is about to become Prime Minster & being as he's Scottish I was wondering what people thought the chances were of seeing him in a kilt?
Never thought about it, and the thought of York Minister and other big churches kilted doesn't catch my imagination either. Nice to see it's not just my keyboard which misses letters out.
Two weeks to being a big kilted Englishman from Scotland on a Welsh canal with a bunch of Yorkshiremen, just hope the beer around Llangollen is good, haven't heard anything positive about North Wales beer yet, there must be some good brews surely, otherwise how could they spell things like they do!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Big and Bashful wrote: just hope the beer around Llangollen is good, haven't heard anything positive about North Wales beer yet, there must be some good brews surely, otherwise how could they spell things like they do!
Take some "Theakston's Old Peculiar" with you - Yorkshire's finest! Forget the local stuff (unless you enjoy puking-up!). Sadly, Wales suffers from 'soft water syndrome' - no good for decent beer (& goodness knows, I've tried to find a reasonable pint there!). Wales = 6 letters short of an alphabet, 6 light years short of a decent beer (& this with the full approval of my 50% Welsh wife!)!
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

merlin wrote:.... Sadly, Wales suffers from 'soft water syndrome' - no good for decent beer (& goodness knows, I've tried to find a reasonable pint there!). Wales = 6 letters short of an alphabet, 6 light years short of a decent beer (& this with the full approval of my 50% Welsh wife!)!
Rubbish! :) I lived near Llanelli for a few years when I was working down t' pit nearby and was introduced to the wonderful Felinfoel 'Double Dragon' bitter. DD is rich, hoppy and fruity, and a very satisfying beer. It doesn't seem to travel very far, so it is difficult to obtain outside of south-west Wales, but occasionally you will find it as a guest beer at a real ale pub somewhere.
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

B&B,

Like Merlin says, you'd be well advised to take some beer with you; last time I did the Llangollen Canal I ended up getting a taxi to a supermarket to buy some as we could find nothing locally that was worth the effort of picking the glass off the table.

Just be a little cautious about how much you consume before crossing the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct. Get that one wrong and it's an awful long way down...

Have fun (and enjoy the canal),

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Beer wise, pale, citrussy and hoppy, that's what I like these days, Old Peculiar is still nice, a bit like diluted Owd Rodger though. If there isn't good beer out of pumps (the only way to get it right for me!) then there is always shops with wine or Stella for when I'm desperate. Or cider.
The Pontysillything Aquaduct could be entertaining in my kilt if there is a breeze! Still planning on taking only my kilt, itching sweetbreads bugging me and regimental therapy for a week might help them out.
Topsy

Post by Topsy »

So many decent brews in that area that beat Old Peculiar into the mud! Paul Theakston's Black Sheep Brewery has Black Sheep Special (4.1%) and Rigwelter (5%). A Rigwelter is a sheep that has fallen into a ditch and can't right itself. Fall into a ditch wearing a kilt and imagine the scene!
Topsy

Mostly Harmless
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I'm not a fan of either Rigwelter or Black sheep and would take OP in preferance to either but I guess a little diversity s good for everyone. Now if B&B wants something pale, citrussy and hoppy (is citrussy a real word?) I'd recommend keeping your eyes open for a drop of Rebellion White. Brewed in Darkest Bucks but the Rebellion Beer Company it is a Belgian style Whitbeer; think of Hoegaarden with the flavour put back and you'll have an idea what I'm talking about. Fabulous stuff but a bit tricky to find.

And I'd recommend enjoying the beer while you can afford it, once Gordy's in control I really can't see excise duty on beer doing anything but going up further. (See we almost got back on topic :) )

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Abbeydale Brewerey- Moonshine
Many beers from Harvieston and from Kelburn, beers like Triple Malt, Hopscotch, Holly Daze (I think), more traditional beers like Timothy Taylors Landlord, oh yes and Deuchars IPA, oh yes, beer is nice.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Hmm... just the thought of Gordon Brown in a kilt is making people turn to drink. He'd probably increase the tax on booze if he knew :(

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Charlie wrote:Hmm... just the thought of Gordon Brown in a kilt is making people turn to drink. He'd probably increase the tax on booze if he knew :(

Charlie

He did. (Stream of expletives deleted!), then the breweries added their bit, 12p a pint I heard. At least they haven't put the beer up round here, yet.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

2 subjects, beer and kilts

I have had my Welsh holiday, contrary to peoples opinions, this canal trip has been the best of my 15 trips so far as far as beer is concerned. We also had the best pub food I have ever seen, with best of the bunch being the Jack Mytton Inn (About 1 mile towards Llangollen from the Mystermaen (probably spelt wrong) boatyard. Details of the trip, the beer and the food are contained in my blog, at honkingtheline.blogspot.com (hope that is allowed).
Back to the subject of bifurcating or otherwise, I decided to force myself to be comfortable by taking only a couple of pairs of shorts packed with the kilt I was wearing for the trip, worn regimentally.
Hardly any comments at all, nothing to make me wish I hadn't put the kilt on. Usual questions; "Are you a real Scot?", "A Scouser." and "What are you wearing under it?", "Shoes.". but that's to be expected and I don't mind that.
However I found a problem after a few days of kilting. I started suffering aching of the tackle, this got worse until it felt that I had been kicked there, I had to switch to shorts and eventually the pain in the (which got worse in the afternoons) started to ease up as we got to the end of the holiday. Is this what happens when tackle which is used to a measure of support finds itself unsupported? This was very painful and spoilt a few days of an excellent holiday and came as an unpleasant surprise. After switching to shorts, two pubs we revisited had staff who said "I didn't recognise you without your skirt!". Only the pain stopped it being a 100% positive experience, I think I will have to take some supportive underwear next time for when the pain starts, but kilting doesn't feel right to me without the full ventilation I'm used to. :D
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Glad you enjoyed the holiday B&B. It's also heartening to learn that the beer in that neck of the woods has improved since I last visited.

As for the discomfort you experienced, I can't say I've had that problem but I have found when walking long (15 mile plus) distances unbifurcated and regimental that I start to feel discomfort from the rubbing of bits that are usually kept apart by underwear. Generally I have not found this to be sufficient to outweigh the comfort of the extra ventilation but I do tend to carry supportive underwear on a long walk, just in case of issues with either rising winds and a need for modesty or rubbing. I would not usually switch to shorts to solve the problem though, just add underwear.

Have fun,

Ian.