Union Kilts - Leather Kilt question

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
wintermute

Union Kilts - Leather Kilt question

Post by wintermute »

Hi guys, here's a question for all you kilt-lovers out there! Have any of you bought a kilt from Union kilts? http://www.unionkilts.com
They produce a wonderful range of kilts (including some great leather ones). They currently have a sale on at the moment (ends at the end of March!) and was thinking of taking the plunge and getting one of there CLAYMORE leather kilts....Just wondering if any of you had bought this particular item from them & could give me an opinion of quality etc?
Any replies would be gratefully appreciated!
many thanks!:)
wintermute

Kilt length

Post by wintermute »

Another kilt question - What is the CORRECT length for a kilt? Example - I have 3 - all with a 24" drop. Union Kilts sell the Claymore with a 23" (medium length) + a 24.5" drop (long length) This kinda points to 24" being the norm.
Anyone out there a little more informed on the matter than me?:think:
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

wintermute wrote:What is the CORRECT length for a kilt?
This is always a good question for setting the fashion freedom types against the traditionalists.

Personally I like my casual kilts to just reach the top of my knee, but I've been told several times that is too short and they should reach the middle of the knee while others have said the bottom of the knee. Several on-line kilt vendors suggest kneeling down with your back and thighs straight and measuring from your waist (or where you want the waistband of your kilt to sit) to the floor.

My own view is that a kilt should be the length the wearer wants it to be :) Since you are not asking about a traditional kilt for formal wear, I'd tend to suggest that any custom and practise traditions are irrelevant so you can have any length you want.

How's that for an unhelpful answer :)

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

More guidance on kilt sizing and length can be found here:

MacGregor and MacDuff
Scotswear
Celtic Isles Shop
Highland Clans

If you check them all (and there are loads more....) you will discover that there really isn't a CORRECT length; pretty much anywhere around knee length is right according to someone. :)

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
wintermute

Post by wintermute »

Cheers for that Ian! That just what i wanted to hear!! :) Well, judging by the 1" off the floor rule, technically my kilts are a little on the long side! But, what the heck - Live dangerously! Any more input from anyone regarding Union Kilts?
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

I bought a Black Watch acrylic kilt from Union Kilts last year and a Hunter Green Camo and a Light Blue Indi Denim from their March sale. Very pleased with all three of them. All are 23" length which for my height comes to mid knee, which is about the regulation length for a traditional kilt. I have some cheap kilts bought on e-bay which came in a standard 24" length, which look a bit long but keep the knees warm on a cold wintry day. I've never worn a leather kilt - personally I'm not so keen on the texture of leather, but each to their own.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
skirttron
Member Extraordinaire

Union Kilt - Denim

Post by skirttron »

I bought one of their denim kilts a while back. It is heavy but it gets a lot of admiring comments, including the description "wicked kilt" from a University student I met in the mall. To my tastes it was originally a bit long, but I seem to have fixed that by washing it. The pockets are great - including a cellphone pocket. It is kind of stiff but I hope the next wash will knock some of the body out of it.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

When I was measured, I was told that there was 2 choices for a traditional kilt, top of knee or half way down. They measured the length by getting me to kneel and the length of it just brusheds the floor, for the longer length. It lookd right.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
wintermute

Post by wintermute »

Cheers for the feedback, guys! Keep them coming! I have been checking the pics that Union kilts put on their gallery - It's interesting to see the variation of lengths on different people (but i guess that's all down to the build of each person.....)
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

I feel that Ian is right, your kilt should be the length you want, not what someone else wants.

I think a long-ish kilt looks middle-aged and mumsy. If you see an older woman wearing a very long tartan design it's almost an admission that she wants to hide under it. A younger woman will wear a short skirt, but why? To show off her legs.

It was reported in the 18th century that the Scots who wore shorter kilts were always paid more attention by the women. So traditional or not, a kilt never had an "accepted" length by those who wore it for their own benefit. The kneecap rule was therefore a recent invention, presumably by someone who wished to organise people's fashion for them and prevent anything getting too radical or out of control.

I think there is no point being a non-conformist, wearing a kilt to express your independence, and then meekly bowing down to the dictates of someone who may well have been a prude, for all we know, but who anyway, is long dead.
The only thing man cannot endure is meaninglessness.
wintermute

Post by wintermute »

That's a very good answer, Iain! Thanks for posting:) I think that may sway me to go for a 23" drop & expose some kneecap!!!:ninjajig:
Richardunion

Post by Richardunion »

wintermute wrote:Hi guys, here's a question for all you kilt-lovers out there! Have any of you bought a kilt from Union kilts? http://www.unionkilts.com
They produce a wonderful range of kilts (including some great leather ones). They currently have a sale on at the moment (ends at the end of March!) and was thinking of taking the plunge and getting one of there CLAYMORE leather kilts....Just wondering if any of you had bought this particular item from them & could give me an opinion of quality etc?
Any replies would be gratefully appreciated!
many thanks!:)
Hi wintermute.

You know you want one :-)
The Claymore is the finest Modern Leather kilt on the market, you won't find a better one anywhere for the Money.
there is one day left in the Sale then the price will go up.
take a look at the reviews i am sure you will find them good, you will not be sorry once you take the plunge, it is a smart Kilt.
Regards
Richard
UnionKilts Ltd
wintermute

Post by wintermute »

Good morning richard! I ordered it yesterday! I am really looking forward to receiving it, too (and wearing it, now that the damn weather is picking up!) :)

Kevin