Alternatives to Utilikilt?

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Alternatives to Utilikilt?

Post by AMM »

I've been considering buying a Utilikilt, but I'm not sure I like the style.

The few times I've seen real Utilikilts, the pleats seemed awfully shallow.

I think I'd prefer a zip fly, like I'm told older Utilikilts had; at any rate, I could do without the conspicuous snaps on the apron.

I also get the impression that Utilikilts, like traditional kilts, wrap around the stomach, which I hate. (Or am I mistaken here?) I prefer kilts/skirts that stop at my belt line, like my trousers.

Does anyone know of anyone else making non-traditional kilts, especially along the lines that I'm describing?

-- AMM
Thanks for all the fish.
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

http://www.freedomkilts.com
for a modern kilt somewhere between a traditional kilt and a Utilikilt.
I've got an olive grey cargo kilt on order from them at present
http://www.midasclothing.com
for a variety of men's kilts and skirts, some with zip fly. I've bought a couple of their items.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
Zorba
Distinguished Member

Post by Zorba »

I own five utilikilts - all the "Standard" which, as you note, is the model with pleats all around and a zipper fly - it isn't a wrap skirt. I've been crabbing everywhere about utilikilts discontinuing this model, so I found a local seamstress to make me some knockoffs. Slightly cheaper, and much better as I can get them made in COLORS!

I wouldn't be caught dead in the "Neo-Trad" or similar with that "dismal flat front" as one poster here once called it...
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

cessna152towser wrote:http://www.freedomkilts.com
for a modern kilt somewhere between a traditional kilt and a Utilikilt.
I've got an olive grey cargo kilt on order from them at present
VAT and duty are both due on clothes brought into the UK, do you know what you are going to be charged to import it?

I'll be interested to learn what you think of the kilt once it arrives.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Kanuckca

Post by Kanuckca »

I make a custom made contemporary kilt, that has been very popular up here in Canada.
Here are a couple of pics in the new putty colour
http://www.rkilts.com
Cheers
Robert
MUGoholic
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

Hey Robert, those are good looking kilts here and on your site!

Quiet Mouse
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

Yes. Impressive work! You have real talent at work there!

Sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
Kanuckca

Post by Kanuckca »

Thanks folks,
I enjoy making them. It's been rather busy here so I haven't been able to update the site for awhile.
Working on some new products and hope to have them out in a couple of months.
Cheers
Robert
MUGoholic
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

VAT and duty are both due on clothes brought into the UK, do you know what you are going to be charged to import it?

I'll be interested to learn what you think of the kilt once it arrives.
The Import Duty was charged at £13.97; VAT £22.82 and Parcelforce took a further clearance fee of £13.50, total £50.29. Will post more detail on the kilt once it arrives.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
binx
Member Extraordinaire

The scoop on UKs

Post by binx »

The few times I've seen real Utilikilts, the pleats seemed awfully shallow.

Pleats are actually pretty deep, and the pleats' edge are sewn, so little ironing is needed.

I think I'd prefer a zip fly, like I'm told older Utilikilts had; at any rate, I could do without the conspicuous snaps on the apron.

Why a zip fly?? Most skirts have no zip fly, and certainly not on a kilt. Much easier to raise the front when needed. And the front is specifically designed to be modest. No need to worry about how you sit.

I also get the impression that Utilikilts, like traditional kilts, wrap around the stomach, which I hate. (Or am I mistaken here?) I prefer kilts/skirts that stop at my belt line, like my trousers.

They ARE worn at the belt line like tr*users! I wear all 9 of mine that way: blue denim, original(?), Workmen's, Mockers, and Survivals. The Spartan is super comfy!

binx
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

cessna152towser wrote:The Import Duty was charged at £13.97; VAT £22.82 and Parcelforce took a further clearance fee of £13.50, total £50.29. Will post more detail on the kilt once it arrives.
Ouch! That has a significant impact on cost. I guess those sort of costs would explain the number of Utilikilts I've seen around the UK (zero). :sad:

Thanks for the info.

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

binx wrote: Why a zip fly?? Most skirts have no zip fly, and certainly not on a kilt. Much easier to raise the front when needed. And the front is specifically designed to be modest. No need to worry about how you sit.
binx
Same reason men's and women's pants have a zipper. And women's skirts. To allow you to get them on and off over your hips, assuming your hips are at all larger than your waist. My latest denim skirt I made with a zipper in front, a.k.a. a "fly", for just this reason.

Wrap skirts, such as traditional kilts, don't need a fly, any more than sweat pants do.

When I heard of a utilikilt with a fly (i.e., a non-wrap kilt), I kind of liked the idea.

But it's not a show-stopper.

I just find the snaps on the utilikilt and some other snap-front kilts to be a little too conspicuous for my taste. They seem almost fetishy to me, sort of like the fad for putting zippers in odd places like elbows and lapels, where there doesn't seem to be anything to open up.

-- AMM
Thanks for all the fish.
binx
Member Extraordinaire

Post by binx »

The waist part of the Utilikilt is not fastened, so you can pull them on and off after undoing the belt. About the only time I undo the snaps is when I wash them. Then hang it up to dry with a broom handle through the belt loops. The snaps look adds some masculine style to them IMO, and match the pocket snaps.

binx
matman

Post by matman »

This is just me and my taste, but .. .. ..

The UK does not seem to offer a flattering appearance after a few washings. Of course I'd guess you could iron them, but I like more care free fabrics.

Also, the UK designs seem to SCREAM testosterone, which probably is not a bad thing, but it's just not my style.

I'm not opposed to the flat panel appearance of the Mountain Hardwear Mountain Kilt, two of which I presently own. Cheers to all.
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

I just find the snaps on the utilikilt and some other snap-front kilts to be a little too conspicuous for my taste. They seem almost fetishy to me . .
I agree with that 100%. I find all the straps and buckles etc. ugly and faintly ridiculous. Is it that some men feel they need to have chunky leather straps all over their clothing in order to "prove" that they are masculine? I can't identify with that at all.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .