Alternatives to Utilikilt?

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

Wore the new Freedom kilt yesterday. Drove from home to the park and ride at Larkhall, then by train to Glasgow Central, followed by a railfans trip on a vintage diesel train around Glasgow and the Clyde Coast with stops off throughout the day for walkabouts in various places. Seen here at Gourock, where despite the wind, the heavy weight holds the kilt down. A very warm kilt for a colder day. Two tourists stopped me and asked to take my photo, one person enquired why it wasn't tartan and I explained it was a cargo kilt made of heavy work weight material. I overheard one teenage lass in Glasgow point me out to her friend and remarking there's another of those cargo kilts on a man. (Presumably they had seen one earlier - there were a lot of kilts out in Glasgow last night following the six nations rugby earlier in the day.). Apart from that wearing it wasn't an issue and most people didn't seem to notice. Olive grey is a good colour for blending into the crowd. You get a lot of thick material for your money, and sitting down in it takes some practice, indeed I was not universally successful in sweeping the pleats every time with the result that they are in need of ironing today. The material would abrase the skin if worn commando but I've been told on another forum that it will soften up with wear and washing. I wore it for 19 hours yesterday. In the photo you can see two of the celtic crested studs for fastening the front apron, there is a vertical row of four on each side of the apron. Each of the optional pockets also has two of these studs. The three white buttons hanging at the front in the photo are part of the sporran adornment and not attached to the kilt.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Did you go DMU?
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

Did you go DMU?
No, it was a farewell trip for the EWS class 37's.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

The Costa del Clyde looks particularly inviting at this time of year! :D

Great looking kilt BTW.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

cessna152towser wrote:No, it was a farewell trip for the EWS class 37's.
Wish I'd known! I've done tens of thousands of miles with those beasties (sadly none while kilted, though!). So EWS are trying to get rid of 'em again, are they:sad: ?

Forgot to add: EWS company 'dress code' forbids anything but 'tr*users' for men! :eek: