Tweaking the Kilt (Alterations)

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Tweaking the Kilt (Alterations)

Post by Big and Bashful »

Being two and a half stone heavier than when I bought my kilt, a friend has offered to let a pleat out to help it fit round my copious gut.
Does letting a pleat out look right? or is this a bad thing to do to a traditional heavy weight 9 yard kilt?
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

My 'posh' Kilt doesn't (currently) fit due to similar reasons (weight gain). I'm not sure I'd be prepared to risk any such mods to such an expensive garment. The inner lining would need replacing for one thing! The only 'change' I could envisage (without too much risk), would be to fit extended straps, but that wouldn't be enough without destroying the 'look'. So, I'm resigned to 'weight loss' as the only answer, once the medical profession has 'taken its cut'!
Overtahill

Post by Overtahill »

Big and Bashful wrote:Being two and a half stone heavier than when I bought my kilt, a friend has offered to let a pleat out to help it fit round my copious gut.
Does letting a pleat out look right? or is this a bad thing to do to a traditional heavy weight 9 yard kilt?
A traditional kilt has a reverse pleat that can allow for some alteration, but it's very tricky and needs to be done by someone who knows what they are doing. Otherwise the kilt will be ruined.

My advice (I know - you didn't ask for it) is lose the weight. You don't need it.
Alternatively, purchase a Stillwater kilt that fits you. Even their heavy weight wool offering will be cheaper than having your traditional kilt properly altered.

Cheers,
Rick
The worm that destroys you is the temptation to agree with your critics in order to get their approval.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Well, I have lost weight, 22 stone 8 to 21 stone 13 aince december 15th. But I know that will not continue.At least a de-pleat can be followed by a re-pleat if I can continue to lose weight. I just want to get the kilt on for the imminent Hogmanay party.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Well. the kilt got let out,
She even used the buckle from my belt and made a replacement belt to fit the new equator. It works perfectly and hasn't involved butchering the original belt. Slot the buckle back on once the weight is gone and it will be just the way it always was.
Wore the kilt at the local Hogmanay bash, interesting getting there and back in a Force 11 gale, very exhilarating! A bit wet though. Even swung the kilt slightly on the dance floor, which is definitely not me. I think the wine helped!
raindog

Post by raindog »

Hi Big and Bashfull,
speaking as a big guy myself, I'm in need of a similar alteration. Did your friend remove a pleat from the side? I can think that this would be the only way of doing it without altering the look.
I've got a cheap poly kilt which I don't mind attacking. Even if I butcher it I'll still wear it, as I like the rough and ready look to stuff. Never looked formal and probably never will!

Jeff.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Raindog, sorry I have been offline for a few days.
If you look at your kilt carefully you will see that at one end of the pleats there is a double 'ended' pleat, more like a box pleat. This pleat is there so that the size of the kilt can be adjusted. She let the pleat out, cut a small amount of material from a folded over end where it could not be seen and extended the top edge with this, and did something clever to extend the lining around the waist. The kilt was then slightly too loose so she moved the straps slightly to make the kilt fit properly. It doesn't look perfect because the none pleated bits stretch further round the body than before, but I don't think anyone noticed, and it seems that is a common alteration made to kilts for expanding men.
As it won't be too difficult to put that pleat back in (just time consuming, it took her 6 hours to let it out in the first place!) so at the end of the day it won't wreck the kilt.
raindog

Post by raindog »

Thanks Big and bashful:) I will inspect my kilt and have a hack about (with due care!).

Jeff.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Tweaked Kilt status report

Well the kilt has been seeing a lot of use over the past few weeks, I don't use it to work but most of the time outside work I have been wearing it.
After wearing it for my canal trip I just thought "Why not?". Even though I have lost two stone the kilt still hangs on, but I am back to the original belt. Unfortunately the alterations have left the two front apron flap bits a bit uneven, the strap on one side is at its shortest and the other strap is at its longest. Now I have shrunk a bit maybe the kilt could be taken back in again, but I think now it is 18 years old I will just save up for a new one and use this one as casual wear.
It got used yesterday for a drinking trip into Glasgow. Didn't see another kilt during the whole afternoon, which did surprise me a bit.
Good outing, good company and good beer, still not too keen on wearing a sporran though. It takes quite a while for it to start feeling ok.
Pub recommendation: The Three Judges, Byres Road, Glasgow. 9 real ales, friendly, live music (well sort of, I just can't like jazz, it's as bad as C & W, parping doesn't work for me)

A good day!

Oh yes, Raindog, how did your tweaking go?