St Patrick’s Day kilting

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

St Patrick’s Day kilting

Post by Offkilter69 »

I never need an excuse to wear a kilt, but it’s safe to say it will be a rare St. Patrick’s Day that I don’t wear a kilt, even though it’s really a Scottish thing.
D0E8CEED-9165-4EF6-8520-6CDB70D3737E.jpeg
C8DA04CF-CE63-46B0-B877-DB427BAB0128.jpeg
I’m wearing my “new to me” riding boots that I found on eBay for a good price. Gotta say that I dig them with the kilt even though they’re not per “Kilt Protocol”.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Re: St Patrick’s Day kilting

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I'm good with a kilt and boots. I don't have riding boots, but I have worn a tartan kilt with knee-length boots, both black suede and laced DMs.

St Patrick's Day this year happened to require my attendance at a funeral, so I was in a traditional Black Watch kilt with green socks, semi-dress sporran, and black jacket (English style, so too long really, but I thought a Scottish jacket with silver buttons would be a bit flashy). Of course, I had the inevitable conversations about Scottish heritage, plus a lady wanting to recruit me for her Scottish dancing group (I'm already in one!).
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Offkilter69 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:40 pm I never need an excuse to wear a kilt, but it’s safe to say it will be a rare St. Patrick’s Day that I don’t wear a kilt, even though it’s really a Scottish thing.

I’m wearing my “new to me” riding boots that I found on eBay for a good price. Gotta say that I dig them with the kilt even though they’re not per “Kilt Protocol”.
I think you both look wonderful. It’s so hard to get people to even wear green on St Patricks day let alone actually dress up. Kudos for doing both.
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:03 pm
St Patrick's Day this year happened to require my attendance at a funeral, so I was in a traditional Black Watch kilt with green socks, semi-dress sporran, and black jacket (English style, so too long really, but I thought a Scottish jacket with silver buttons would be a bit flashy). Of course, I had the inevitable conversations about Scottish heritage, plus a lady wanting to recruit me for her Scottish dancing group (I'm already in one!).
Sorry to hear that St. Patrick’s Day coincided with a funeral for you. It sounds like you had on appropriate kilt attire, understanding the need to be more low key for a somber event.

Kilted men outside of pipe bands and parades are rare in my parts, which is probably the norm everywhere. I have gotten the “are you a piper”question many times, even while wearing my usual utility kilts, but the Celtic theme of the day gave me a pass for that. I did get a couple of “nice kilt” comments, though!
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

ScotL wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:29 pm
I think you both look wonderful. It’s so hard to get people to even wear green on St Patricks day let alone actually dress up. Kudos for doing both.
Thanks! While we weren’t in the primary local parade area, we were definitely the most festively dressed, which surprised us a bit. I’m sure the parade route had its share of painted faces, though! Lousy weather, scant, and expensive parking scared us away from the parade.
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUU8HfJYN6U&t=58s G'day all .. This is our St.Patricks Head .. It is visible from my back door .. It's 2241 feet high that looks over my town of 900 people ,, I'm an avid hiker / bushwalker and often do so in a kilt and been up there many times of course but never ever in a kilt.. Something I have to do one day while i still can . Really steep in places but it commands a spectacular view of the upper east coast of Tasmania, the township , another local town and the Mt.Nicholas Range escarpments , South Sister 2775 ft and North Sister a little lower..oh yes and Mt Elephant as well ...Cheers ..