Kilt flying

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: Kilt flying

Post by ScotL »

rode_kater wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:06 pm Wow! You tell a good story, nice pacing.

And totally recognisable. I've not done the flying bit, but I have travelled in a skirt/kilt in public transport and also get the "is everybody watching?" vibe. It does get easier over time though.

I'm actually interested at the number of people that visibly reacted. Either I'm not very observant or people actually notice more over there. Actually, it's probably me doing my "if I ignore you all, then I won't notice if you react".

Well done, next time even easier.
Thank you! I find the “live-streaming” allows me to work through some of the things in my head by chatting about it with myself and the other voices in my head. Hopefully it’s useful for others also in my position as a freaking out newbie.

I have a feeling I am overreacting to the number of people who reacted. Just like when you hear someone laugh, you swear it’s directed at you and yet people laugh all the time the frequency of which is unlikely to change based on what I’ve chosen to wear. Not that I’m surprised, but it has been great confirmation that there is not open mocking of the skirted man.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

FLbreezy wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:16 pm
Good account, it gets easier each time! Need to practice getting out of your own head a bit, if you know what I mean...that's where most of the anxiety comes from. What you're wearing isn't going to throw the earth's rotation of our balance or anything, just have fun with it. I'm a very observant person and I've had to cultivate a sense of "focused obliviousness" to help with being in public: I do my thing and go about my business and don't go checking for reactions.
Excellent advice, sir! It is “funny” how much we stake our clothing choices into “sky is falling” results. I have found already in two open wearing while flying that the anxiety decreased markedly.

I took your advice to heart last night. I work long shifts in my job (~36hours). After getting off work last night, we had to have a BBQ for some out of town guests. We know them only through an exchange program where they stayed with us three years ago. They’re back doing the same thing now and living with us.

I got home and started the BBQ fire up and then went to change out of work stuff. I pondered this “forever.” I want to be comfortable but also don’t want to have to answer a bunch of questions about “why?” Sometimes you want to talk about it but not when you’re exhausted. So I almost went with shorts.

But I also thought this was a great time to test the waters with people I won’t see again for at least a year and live overseas.

Donning a black borealis hiking kilt thinking a tartan would be more accepted and remembering my wife thinking this one is more masculine, I eventually strode out into the fray.

Was getting dinner prepared while they were out in the backyard with my wife. It’s easy to see right into the kitchen where I was and then I had to answer a work phone call. Thinking this gave ample opportunity for them to see me and ask my wife about WTH was I wearing, I became somewhat emboldened. Exhaustion helped too.

So when I walked directly to the BBQ, my male counterpart of the couple joined me to learn how to do it. We chatted amicably, our wife’s chatted amicably and from time to time I had to traverse the backyard through the ladies to the kitchen. Them sitting should’ve provided ample looks at my attire. My wife knows and is accepting, but this was a first for our guests.

I became more comfortable and thought how nice it is to just be able to wear what you want and be comfortable without judgement or scrutiny.

Then my neighbor drove by and my wife said we should invite him. No worries there for me as he has seen me kilted and we’ve actually talked about it and he openly contemplated wearing one also (but hasn’t.)

Comfortable confidence skyrocketing.

Until…

Wife tells me my neighbor is bringing over a different neighbor who hails from the same country as our guests.

Crap the 0 to 60 concern hits hard and shatters all that previous confidence.

But the exhaustion is real and the “there’s only so many effs to give” comes home. I just am too tired to care.

The redlining anxiety throttles back and I’m returning to being comfortable again. Mostly as they’ll be coming after dinner. Time to ponder. But changing out of a kilt would send the wrong message so “I am stuck.”

When they do show up, friendly hugs all around, great discussions, better wine, good desserts but not one thing said about my kilt.

Was really nice and encouraging.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

ScotL wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:28 am I became more comfortable and thought how nice it is to just be able to wear what you want and be comfortable without judgement or scrutiny.

Was really nice and encouraging.
That sounds wonderful, it's nice to let go of the worry about what people might think and be yourself. Congrats!

I had a busy day Saturday with a large Pokemon Go event and knew I'd be walking out in the heat a lot so wore my short blue SportKilt and it was perfect. At my local park I had one young boy (4-5 y/o) say "mommy, that boy (!) is wearing a skirt" as we passed by but I didn't hear what his mother said. I was focused on my game and didn't pay them any attention.

Later in the day we went to a bigger park that was very busy with soccer games and I half expected disapproving looks from someone or another, but it never happened. I even helped out some high school kids finish some of the difficult challenges (our group is high level) and they hung out with us the rest of the day to work through the game and they didn't seem to care what I was wearing. 8)
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

FLbreezy wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:51 pm

I had a busy day Saturday with a large Pokemon Go event and knew I'd be walking out in the heat a lot so wore my short blue SportKilt and it was perfect. At my local park I had one young boy (4-5 y/o) say "mommy, that boy (!) is wearing a skirt" as we passed by but I didn't hear what his mother said. I was focused on my game and didn't pay them any attention.

Later in the day we went to a bigger park that was very busy with soccer games and I half expected disapproving looks from someone or another, but it never happened. I even helped out some high school kids finish some of the difficult challenges (our group is high level) and they hung out with us the rest of the day to work through the game and they didn't seem to care what I was wearing. 8)
Kids say the darnedest things!

Sounds like you also had an awesome day. We’re you wearing the blue hiking sportskilt? I will say I have now two linen kilts and the adidas kilt like skirt and though I like them all, I find the sports kilt hiking kilt material to be the least, how do I say this, what I think would be an accepted looking material. Comparatively, it’s rather flimsy and blows up super easy without a kilt pin. The linen kilt is my favorite of all skirts. Only lacks pockets.

Your experiences make me remember just how accepting the young kids really are
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

ScotL wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:01 am We’re you wearing the blue hiking sportskilt?
Yep, I have a Thiarloch that's been made a few inches shorter than standard so it's above-the-knee just a bit. As you say it's very "acceptable", and I do tend to wear it out when I'm unsure of the type of people I'll be around. It's kind of ironic that the kilt stands out more than most of the boring skirts I'll wear but it's more "ok". There's probably some kind of quantum physics principle that explains it...I wonder if Schrödinger ever wore a kilt after he moved to Ireland?

I don't have a kilt pin, but so far it hasn't been too much of an issue but that material is rather light. Good for summer, but maybe less so for very windy days. :lol:
ScotL wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:01 am Your experiences make me remember just how accepting the young kids really are
They certainly can be!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

More “live streaming”.

In a foreign country and it’s cold. Snow everywhere. At a conference so there’s a chance I’ll run into someone I know or who knows me. Already know there’s one person from my university here. It’s nerve wracking. But there’s this one woman wearing a knee length black skirt, black tights and tennis shoes and she looks both awesome and comfortable. That seals the deal. Like a sign from God.

I put on black boots with gray socks that are slouched with black tights and a lightheart gear black skirt that has a button to make it look like shorts. Black shirt, grey fleece and black coat. I’m an undertaker in a skirt.

Gonna go out to dinner alone. Though I believe in God so I’m eating with the three of them also.

Sitting here in the hotel room debating a last minute change. Thinking that snap ain’t very strong. If it busts open whilst walking do I just let it be? It’s not proper to fix in public.

No one in hotel hallway to elevator. Good

No one in elevator. Good. Except there was someone. Didn’t see her when I first entered cause she was in the front corner. Oops. Know when you see what you want but it’s not what’s real? Nothing said except the pleasantries of hello.

Booked out the front of the hotel with a smattering of loitering folks. Saw a man coming out the other exit door only to realize he was a she. She’s behind me and I know women are more astute when it comes to what others are wearing. So I stop to fix my coat and she walks by.

Walking to the restaurant was a mile and a half jaunt. I debate popping the bottom snap and just when I think of it, I’m affronted by four giggling girls. Who actually turn out to be one girl, one boy and their parents. Nothing said.

Hit the outskirts of town and there is one single woman I pass and she gets a smile on her face. Gas, funny remembrance or did she see what she did and realize. Would just be the tights and “shorts” at this juncture. Not sure but betting it’s not flatulence. Women don’t do that.

In town, it’s Wednesday so not many around. Enter the restaurant and am seated. Snap intact.

Sitting there though, surrounded by strangers who will never know me again, the snap fails. Not for lack of strength from the clasp but because I open it.

I’m seated. No one can see. And the woman across the way is also wearing a skirt and black tights. Not sure why that’s helpful to me but right now I’m one drink short of hallucinations.

And drink I do. Order a half carafe of wine and wow, they’re not stingy. Three large wine glasses later and I’m drunk. Pasta helped. Beet salad is wonderful and a favorite but not an ethanol sink.

When I’m alone at dinner I read on my “kindle.” As I finished dinner and was full of liquid courage, I planned my escape.

To stand and walk out as fast as possible would raise suspicion. To dilly dally would allow others to see what I’m wearing. But do I care in an inebriated state? No.

Confidence is key.

Standing up, I don my winter coat and hat and walk out.

As I was super nervous on the way down, I’m now full of arrogant pride. Who are you to tell me what I can and cannot wear? I don’t care if it’s freezing, “shorts” and leggings are a-ok.

As I proudly walk back to the hotel, my confidence builds. One guy looks at me and smiles. But most just don’t see.

But then the hotel draws near. And within are people who are my peers and May know me.

Crap. And double crap.

Thankfully, no one needed to smoke as they usually set right out front inhaling death.

Inside I stride towards the elevators. A few people linger but do not see.

But there. In the hallway towards the elevators is this person from the conference.

But rather than sink my heart or cause it to beat out of my chest, it’s her. The woman in the black skirt, tights and tennis shoes.

Sign from God.

The elevator is free of people as is the walk to my room. But I’m busting with happiness cause this was an awesome adventure.

Good food.

Confidence boosting outing in a skirt. Not a kilt but a skirt. Not that the two are different but a tartan kilt it accepted as “menswear.”
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

That was a good read! Best of luck on your flight home.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Methinks the author of this article would applaud you for at least covering up:

https://viewfromthewing.com/men-have-to ... l-problem/
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

FLbreezy wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:02 am That was a good read! Best of luck on your flight home.

Oh, Flbreezy, wish I had. I think. I either chickened out or made an executive decision. Either way, I didn’t wear the linen kilt on the way back.

I awoke at 4:30 AM for an international flight starting at 6:30. Hotel at the airport. Heard they give you crap for wearing a kilt through security, so I wore shorts and had the kilt in my carryon.

Tired and not looking forward to a full day of traveling (got in at 6:30 PM), I just didn’t relish a fight or need to explain and I was trying to max out sleep since I got into the hotel after 10PM. This was my mindset in the AM despite trying out my kit the night prior and loving it. White linen shirt with grey fleece shirt, linen kilt (google linen kilt and you’ll see it), black boots and white scrunched socks. Socks are kilt hose but I’m just not a fan of the pulled up look. Seems too much like a costume for me unless in a formal setting.

Through security, needed coffee. Cutting it a tad close to change. Plus the airport was halfway full. Enough people you could not get lost in the crowd but not empty either.

Sitting there with life affirming coffee, I was debating it. Felt fairly confident in wearing it but not as confident as I’ve been. Just tired I guess. But was also running through the answers to questions if asked “why the skirt?” And was just not relishing the need to defend my clothing choice.

Maybe I’m just rationalizing my chickening out, but this was a big factor in my choice not to wear. I just didn’t want to have to defend myself. I shouldn’t have to. But we all know we sometimes get asked questions. Not as often as our minds think but we do occasionally.

I’m somewhat addicted to the compliments that have been the overwhelming majority of comments on my skirt/kilt wearing. And I am still awaiting my first true negative reaction.

But I just didn’t want to be bothered cause I was tired, facing a full day of traveling and heading back home to work after several days of a conference. Body tired too after getting in some fantastic downhill skiing.

I think the first leg of my journey would’ve been fine. Many people would’ve seen me easily cause the crowds weren’t that big but there were a lot of people.

At the first layover in Texas, I had to change terminals using their tram. So many people. Airport was crowded but not nose to butthole crowded. It’s Texas. So everything’s larger including the space. I think I would’ve felt somewhat on stage. Not sure. The flight was delayed and therefore there were so many people milling about.

On the plane I sat next to a red hat wearing fellow playing video games on his Nintendo. He had some pretty fierce BO and wasn’t overly friendly. I envision getting into fisticuffs with him over the kilt. It’s all in my mind. But I foresaw him holding me down as the flight attendants took turns opening a can of whoop a$$ on me.

Oh the creative mind.

At the next stop, it’s was even more crowded but smaller. So it may have been a bit easier to blend in. But the gate was near the food court and there was more traffic there than the LA highways.

In this flight, I sat next to a couple who were friendly. Foresaw a probably good conversation about kilt/skirt wearing with them if I only had the nerve to quote The Wizard of Oz.

But I was also dreary and also foresaw me making some stupid joke that would go over like a ton of bricks. The plane would turn against me and the pilot would fly back to Altlanta and leave me there.

In my home airport, it’s Friday night. So many people with so much room where I would’ve been doing the catwalk at the Paris Fashion show. Though I doubt I could pull off duckface as well as the models and I’m not described as waif thin these days.

So I guess I’m glad I didn’t wear the kilt on this flight. Mostly cause I felt like I’d be too tired to put up with questions or rise to defend the wearing thereof.

I just wanted to be left alone which is all I was.

Now it’s Saturday and I’m working the Night Shift. Only good thing here is we lose an hour tonight and im not paid hourly. Ha.

But I did wear the kilt with a linen shirt today. Went to pick up my watch that got mended. But they’re closed for spring break. No one was really there when I went to the store.

I went from not wanting to be bothered to thinking the watch guy would’ve struck up a conversation about it.

The magic of sleep.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:48 am Methinks the author of this article would applaud you for at least covering up:

https://viewfromthewing.com/men-have-to ... l-problem/
I would hope one wouldn’t need applause for just acting decently. But then again, this world seems to be defending deeper from decency with every passing day.

Also makes me think I wonder if men would dress better if they were given the opportunity to wear more comfortable clothing. I’m not just talking about skirts. When I see women walking around in clothing that’s soft or breezy or loose I wonder if this is the problem. There’s no doubt that men and women both would prefer to wear soft over rough fabrics. So is the current goblin mode of today for men just a manifestation of not having clothing as comfortable as sweat pants and a t shirt that actually looks presentable?
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

After any trip that contains exhaustive physical activity, I arrange a therapy session with the massage therapist I have been going to for a while. She’s amazing at what she does and is really a good person. To top that off, not only has she seen me in a kilt but actually asks why I’m Not wearing one if I come from work.

Today was no different. Wore a black linen kilt for the first time. Somehow she knew it was a new one and commented on that fact.

I almost didn’t wear it but am glad I did. I almost didn’t put a kilt on today cause I didn’t want to be bothered by having to answer questions or be on guard. That gets old after awhile.

But I stead, we chatted amicably as if I was wearing pants and at the end we went out collective ways.

I’m glad I wore it. It’s jet black and is harder to tell it’s a kilt. But it is. It’s also linen which is wonderfully comfortable and cool. Plus it looks good. Wearing it basically forces me to dress better than the t shirt and shorts I otherwise would’ve worn
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

ScotL wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:25 pm So I guess I’m glad I didn’t wear the kilt on this flight. Mostly cause I felt like I’d be too tired to put up with questions or rise to defend the wearing thereof.
You really let your imagination run wild there! :lol:

I get that sometimes you just don't feel like putting yourself out there. Sometimes I still get caught up thinking "what negative thing will happen?" instead of "what awesome thing could happen?" I hate sitting in a confined space for any length time greater than about an hour, especially in pants, so I almost always go for the skirt instead.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

ScotL wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:30 pm So is the current goblin mode of today for men just a manifestation of not having clothing as comfortable as sweat pants and a t shirt that actually looks presentable?
You might be on to something there. Trying to think of what's comfortable to wear but still looks nice, I really come up blank. I'm reading a book about skirts currently and the author tells a bit of her own history with the garment and how she prefers skirts to pants because they adapt to a variation in sizes but still look nice and are very comfortable. I think for men especially having the freedom of movement below the waist that a skirt/kilt allows is unmatched by any other garment that still looks good.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

FLbreezy wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:28 pm
ScotL wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:25 pm So I guess I’m glad I didn’t wear the kilt on this flight. Mostly cause I felt like I’d be too tired to put up with questions or rise to defend the wearing thereof.
You really let your imagination run wild there! :lol:

I get that sometimes you just don't feel like putting yourself out there. Sometimes I still get caught up thinking "what negative thing will happen?" instead of "what awesome thing could happen?" I hate sitting in a confined space for any length time greater than about an hour, especially in pants, so I almost always go for the skirt instead.
That is a great mental exercise to think about next time. Cause I have really only had good experiences wearing a skirt. I’m not relishing a bad one. And I do wish for the days when no one bats an eye because I’m wearing a skirt but do compliment me on dressing well. Or at least, I think I’m dressing well. Hahahhaha
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

FLbreezy wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:37 pm
ScotL wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:30 pm So is the current goblin mode of today for men just a manifestation of not having clothing as comfortable as sweat pants and a t shirt that actually looks presentable?
You might be on to something there. Trying to think of what's comfortable to wear but still looks nice, I really come up blank. I'm reading a book about skirts currently and the author tells a bit of her own history with the garment and how she prefers skirts to pants because they adapt to a variation in sizes but still look nice and are very comfortable. I think for men especially having the freedom of movement below the waist that a skirt/kilt allows is unmatched by any other garment that still looks good.
Was walking around work thinking about this. Men dress the exact same way for the most part when they dress professionally. Nice but boring pants. Nice but boring shirt. Possibly the only splash of individuality is the small fragment of a tie and the hint of personality that comes through by way of Interesting socks. Like so interesting that they have two colors not just one. Women’s clothing is way more Interesting. And from my limited experience with skirts, looks way better and is way more comfortable