Kilt flying

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: Kilt flying

Post by ScotL »

Flying in a kilt continued…

Sitting in first class in the aisle. Realizing everyone but one row coming in the plane has to walk by me.

My seatmate is by the window. I say hello and he gives me an odd look and I believe I perceived a shaking of his head with mirth. Not sure. He’s not very friendly. Didn’t help that he’s one of these guys who watches funny videos and laughs out loud. Likely someone coined the LOL phrase after this guy. He’s wearing a shirt though that says “women are powerful,” cowboy boots and jeans. No idea what to make of him.

Flight attendant was not surprisingly super nice and I wholeheartedly said yes to a glass of liquid courage.

But we’re delayed. Sat there for over an hour. Two doses of liquid courage in me prior to take off.

Nothing was said to me the entire time. And yes, I’m surprised and disappointed. I’m used to comments. But truth be told, I think I’m happy that no comments were said while on the plane but after leaving the airport, then disappointed. Can’t lie, I was super tense.

I was my usual polite and friendly self. I believe my outward look was confident. Partly cause I hid behind the “fact” my jacket hid the back. And because I wasn’t all that unhappy for the delay because it meant we got in a bit later when crowds were sparse.

But most importantly, I was stupidly comfortable. First class helped. But this linen kilt is crazy comfortable. I do worry a Little that the pleats are less sharp now and that it’s maybe more a straight up skirt look and less a kilt? Perhaps that’s the reason for the lack of comments?

Either way, it broke the ice for me and flying. I didn’t go through security but I flew in a kilt like skirt. And think I will do so again.

To those who read to the bitter end, thanks for indulging me
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:31 pm I remember reading, a long time ago, a post by a guy who got fed up with people giving him funny looks as he walked around town in his kilt, and was about to start making aggressive responses, when he suddenly realized that actually he was in trousers that day, and all the supposed reactions to his kilt were entirely in his imagination.
People laugh all the time. We only think they’re laughing at us if we feel we’re doing something theyd laugh at. But wow, does it seem like every guffaw is pointed at you
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

ScotL wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:54 am Flying in a kilt continued…
Sounds like a successful trip. The first time is nerve-wracking, but at some point you realise most people are way too busy worrying about their own lives to worry about yours.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

ScotL wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:54 am Either way, it broke the ice for me and flying. I didn’t go through security but I flew in a kilt like skirt. And think I will do so again.
Well done, sir! That was a fun and very relatable read. 8)
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

rode_kater wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:13 am
ScotL wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:54 am Flying in a kilt continued…
Sounds like a successful trip. The first time is nerve-wracking, but at some point you realise most people are way too busy worrying about their own lives to worry about yours.
It was. Looking forward to it being less stressful. I knew I couldn’t chicken out the moment I changed into the kilt in the bathroom cause it was just too comfortable. When the stress goes away too, it’ll be perfect
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

FLbreezy wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:25 pm
ScotL wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:54 am Either way, it broke the ice for me and flying. I didn’t go through security but I flew in a kilt like skirt. And think I will do so again.
Well done, sir! That was a fun and very relatable read. 8)
Thank you! All in all it was also a funny trip for me. The flight that is. So often they are Ho hum. This flight was anything but dull
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I flew back from Egypt once wearing a sarong folded lengthwise to be knee-length. It was amusing to see the security attempt at a "pat-down". Otherwise no problem apart from my wife's disgust at me being in a "skirt, even though I had worn a sarong all the time at the resort. I had deliberately done the outward trip in a tight ( waist ) pair of trousers knowing that I would temporarily put on a little extra while on holiday so they wouldn't fit on the way back. Sneaky.

Go for it, don't chicken out.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Well done, ScotL.

For me, being Scottish, wearing a kilt is pretty unremarkable. I am aware of it, but in the same way as my being aware of wearing a really snappy suit. I know I stand out - and I love it. It’s such a cool garment that I cannot help being confident in it.

I have flown in a kilt - without kilt pin. Wasn’t an issue. I’d not realised that it could be for non-Scots. You did well.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Some 20-odd years ago a hot air balloon landed in the field adjacent to our house and we flocked over to it, helping retrieve the basket and paraphenalia and loading it on to a trailer, which navigated up our drive for that purpose.
An invitation to fly came from the owner, who happened to be a member of our local U3A society and I remembered seeing him at meetings.

The following October such an opportunity presented and it was very calm and unseasonably warm and I bravely chose to go kilted.

In the company of several other balloons we inflated at a race-course and were off. Total silence, other than the periodic 'Burn' to maintain altitude or gain height. It was then that I learned the balloonist's navigational trick of using different winds at varying heights to travel more or less where one wanted to go. On our day out the wind near ground level was at right angles to that a few thousand feet up. Interesting. Constant communication with our 'ground crew' by mobile phone. Not really necessary as they could see us the whole time.

After some three hours we approached a large freshly harvested cornfield for our landing and it is almost frightening on close approach, just how fast one is traveling over the ground. Bump down and the basket tipped over on its leeward side, spilling us (four) out onto the stubble, which in a kilt proved very uncomfortable indeed. Fortunately I didn't suffer any cuts. great experience, probably never to be repeated. Distance travelled: about 25 miles, which works out at about 8MPH. Yachting speed.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:31 pm I remember reading, a long time ago, a post by a guy who got fed up with people giving him funny looks as he walked around town in his kilt, and was about to start making aggressive responses, when he suddenly realized that actually he was in trousers that day, and all the supposed reactions to his kilt were entirely in his imagination.
This is too true to be funny. The demons in our heads are more powerful and critical than real people.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Feb 22

Flying again in a black linen kilt. Gonna “livestream” my inner thoughts on the “adventure.” Be warned, long post.

Got through security in pants. Heard they eff with you sometimes if you’re in a kilt. Don’t want trouble to dispel future trials. Changed into the kilt in the bathroom where the automatic flush went off frequently and all I could think about were those slow mo videos of how much spray comes out the top of a toilet when flushed. Almost gave up.

Had scouted the airport/gate first. It’s Wednesday night. Not crowded at all. No line to get through security. There were more people at the gate but still open areas. After changing I walked to an open area and sat down. One guy sort of looked my way but no real reactions.

Sitting without a kilt pin cause I didn’t want to get the requisite body cavity search for bringing a small ”dagger” into an airport. Suspect they let the guy with the biggest hands handle the oddball man in a skirt.

Last time I flew in a kilt, I also changed in the bathroom and went to the gate where I felt my cheeks were burning red and I was sweating profusely. My blushing then was hidden by a mask and the sweating was either the fact I was freaking nervous or it was so hot that others were complaining also. I like to think all the latter but I know in my heart, it was a lotta former as well. Today is better. No blushing.

I’ve been sitting mostly hidden in a corner. But now they’re loading. I’m not in the first group so I’m just sitting there. Usually I’d be up slowly making my way to the line anticipating the call. But I got butterflies. It’s a mostly full flight. I sit tight.

Group four called. Feeling I must put on the air of total confidence, I am going to proudly walk directly to the queue for the gate. And I do just that but by a completely circuitous route outside the throng of people congested at the entrance like moths to a nightlight.

I greet the gate agent politely and wish him a good day as he glanced down at my kilt. No weird faces or anything outside of my own thoughts about how in the world where we all use the phones to flash the QR code to gain entry, does he serve a real purpose? (Note: this is sarcasm, please have a sense of humor).

I sit down in the window seat and greet the man who sits in the aisle who arrives after me. He glances at the kilt but just politely replies. No weirdness. But it is nice to have a seat empty between us.

That prompts me to go on the airline companies app and change the seat on the next leg of my flight where a sudden opening on the exia seat between me and the person at the window.

As life goes, I’m happy about scoring an exit row seat until about two seconds after they force us to power down. My new seat has me in the aisle. Everyone will be able to see me. When you sit by the window, once you’re in your seat, most people cannot see you.

Crap.

Plus I’m a bit nervous cause I have a connection through a bigger airport and need to change terminals for the next leg of my journey with only forty minutes from landing to take off.

Normally, I wouldn’t sweat this at all. But in a kilt, I’m having these recurrent nightmares of tripping and showing everyone the answer to “is he regimental?” Or hearing someone yell “he’s running cause he gonna get beat up in that skirt!” Or barely making it to the next flight where I can just imagine those “useless” gate agents with so much time on their hands are just sitting back laughing at me.

Flights on time. So they say. Hour and nine minutes. Flight attendants are passing out water. Seem to be in pithy moods but it’s a later flight and I know I’m not my best when I’m working at night. No comments but of course my mind goes back to an article about “weird stuff flight attendants see working!” Basically the article ratted them out for mocking passengers whilst smiling at them handing out peanuts and rating the “hotness” of passengers. I’m not winning the latter but in my mind I’m chalking up their snarkiness to my kilt. Yes, that’s right, they’re punishing the entire plane because I wore a skirt er kilt on the plane. Such power have I…

Landed and now on to the run. They said we would be early and we are except there was a plane in the gate. So not early and now late.

Seems people always take longer to unload when you’ve got a tight connection. Deplaning, there was a rash of “I got a tight connection.” But I stayed silent. Didn’t want to attract attention in a kilt.

In the airport, though, I had time. The mind swears you’ll be confronted by barbarian hordes and pregnant women who need attending to but they both don’t exist and typically are not flying when due dates approach, respectively.

At the gate, I do the usual scan the crowd for known acquaintances. I say “usual” but being the second time I’ve done this, the word “usual” is a stretch.

But they haven’t started boarding the plane and as I sit in a place where no one is sitting, I realize I’m right where everyone walks by. A tad unnerving. I have trouble sitting in a manner that’s comfortable and doesn’t keep the legs spread. I defaulted to legs spread a bit apart but pushed the front apron down to block visualization of my religion.

Flight’s Delayed. Flight crew deplaning across the airport and then coming here. Gots lots of time now to sit here and feel like I am on display.

One Black woman walked by staring at the kilt. Expression of confusion.

All of a sudden, the gate I’m sitting at starts unloading. Hordes of people are getting off and I’m the greeter.

One man who may have been gay due to the amount of rainbow accoutrements he wore just looked me over and mostly at the kilt. Not a bad look. Again more confusion/interest. Bit heavier on the latter it looked like.

One trick I learned from my failure as a teenager hitting on girls is if you look at people in the eyes, they tend to avert their gaze.

But most just rushed by.

Time to board the second plane. Took a technically less circuitous route to the queue but still wasn’t the same route if I had not been wearing a kilt. It’s way easier than the first time I tried this but no where near the same as when in pants. In pants, I’m not thinking about being accepted at all. In a kilt, that’s in the forefront of my mind and colors all of my decisions. And if it wasn’t so much more comfortable than pants/shorts, I wouldn’t be doing it.

Walking down the jetway it struck me. To wear comfortable clothing, I am forced to be uncomfortable in my thinking.

On the plane, I’m first to the row and plunk down. An older business man then comes and I have to get up to let him in. Seems like I’m on display again but he’s tired and crashes immediately upon sitting down. Flight attendant actually had to wake him to go over exit row rules. Good guy though as the passenger later actually apologized to the flight attendant for not being awake.

Uneventful flight except female flight attendant kept bumping into me. You can interpret anything as everything and this made me wonder if it was on purpose. Of course, I doubt it was but these are the tricks your mind plays on you when you’re on alert.

One thing I’ve noticed, fatigue prompts boldness. It was a late flight out. Second leg took off after 22:30. So landing in my home town should be scariest. Greatest chance of running into someone I know. But it’s after 0130 and I just want to get to bed.

Deplaning, my mind stopped worrying as much about my attire. I jumped up when it was my turn cause I think one must be quick about getting off the plane in deference to other passengers. But as I grabbed my bag, the woman one row up who wasn’t paying attention due to something more important on her phone suddenly jumps into the aisle blocking my way. But she did it as I was walking by and basically hip checked me into a row. Looking sheepish, she motioned for me to pass but stayed in the aisle. A bit awkward and it left a lot of room between me and the passengers who had already bolted off the plane.

Walking up the aisle with no one to block their view, I approach the flight attendants who are congregated at the front. There’s recognition of my bottom half based on gaze and glowing smiles. We say the usual pleasantries of thankfulness and good night wishes and I perhaps hear the word “kilt” mentioned as I’m two steps past them.

It’s truly the only time I possibly heard anything about it. It’s a completely black linen kilt that looks like a crossover between a skirt and a kilt. Back pleats but no tartan. And I’m not wearing a sporran or socks pulled to the knees.

Now I’m tired though. One bag at each side I do walk confidently or dead tired out of the airport. It’s mostly empty and begets that idea that it’s easier to hide in a crowd.

But I don’t stop except to tie both shoelaces at in opportune times.

As I’m leaving the secure area, there’s a blond woman hurrying back towards security. Can’t see how that’s gonna work but she’s on the phone frantic. There’s few around so my attire is on display. Two seconds later she’s racing back the other way followed by shrieks of laughter.

Not directed at me, I think, but again, when you’re doing something novel (novel to me) it’s always directed at you. Even when you round the corner and see that she’s ecstatically hugging her friend who must be picking her up.

So I follow them.

Not because I want to find out if they were mocking me but because ironically they parked right next to me. I loaded up the car and took off.

Flying in a skirt/kilt a second time was much easier than the first but there are still butterflies. I think I’m still just not comfortable with the look of the outfit. I wore a linen light gray shirt and a black linen kilt with black socks pushed down and low cut hiking shoes. It looks ok to me but just not perfect. And to me, the problem ain’t the kilt. It’s the stuff below the kilt I fear that I just don’t have a good handle on. And maybe the top. It’s collarless. And I’m more of a collared guy.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Wow! You tell a good story, nice pacing.

And totally recognisable. I've not done the flying bit, but I have travelled in a skirt/kilt in public transport and also get the "is everybody watching?" vibe. It does get easier over time though.

I'm actually interested at the number of people that visibly reacted. Either I'm not very observant or people actually notice more over there. Actually, it's probably me doing my "if I ignore you all, then I won't notice if you react".

Well done, next time even easier.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

rode_kater wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:06 pmI've not done the flying bit, but I have travelled in a skirt/kilt in public transport and also get the "is everybody watching?" vibe. It does get easier over time though.
I've been on various metros whilst skirted, and have been all over the country by long-distance train whilst wearing skirts, and have never had any sort of real adverse reaction. If anything, it tends to be a great conversation piece.

Sure, folks look and sometimes watch; in my case, train-crew seem to take a particular interest in my because of the clearance between the ceilings on the trains and my noggin (about 1/2 to 1/4 of an inch) which I have to manage in a moving railway carriage without banging it. The trains east of the Mississippi River are easier as there's decent headroom; on the trains west of said river, however, I cannot wear my heels because otherwise my head would continually "interfere with structure" (which is not comfortable).

As put, it also gets easier with time and experience. So, persevere; it's worth it.

I also haven't flown anywhere since 2000; I get injured by it, so I stopped.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

ScotL wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:50 pm Flying again in a black linen kilt. Gonna “livestream” my inner thoughts on the “adventure.” Be warned, long post.
Good account, it gets easier each time! Need to practice getting out of your own head a bit, if you know what I mean...that's where most of the anxiety comes from. What you're wearing isn't going to throw the earth's rotation of our balance or anything, just have fun with it. I'm a very observant person and I've had to cultivate a sense of "focused obliviousness" to help with being in public: I do my thing and go about my business and don't go checking for reactions.

I was wearing a tartan hiking kilt the other morning on my daily walk with the wife and a schoolbus pulled up to a bus stop as we walked past. I'm sure I saw the flash from a camera phone by one of the windows, so I guess I'm on YouTockstagram or whatever the kids are posting to these days. :lol: That was a first (as far as I know) of all the times I've been out and about, they must have been bored to find my attire interesting!