Kilt flying

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
ScotL
Chatbot

Kilt flying

Post by ScotL »

I’m sure this has been brought up before so please do not jump down my throat for bringing it up again.

I’m soliciting advice on wearing a kilt whilst flying.

https://www.linenweddingdress.com/produ ... 9657150529

That’s the kilt. Not traditional but I like it. Have a black t shirt to wear with it and probably black Adidas soccer shoes. Only other shoes I have with me are brown oxfords.

Flight is a short one to a layover and then three hours home. Was thinking of wearing shorts with the other stuff and then changing at the layover.

I’ll likely chicken out either way but was hopeful to get some advice for flying.

Did not bring a kilt pin as I’m a little worried that could get removed as a weapon.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Kilt flying

Post by Kirbstone »

Never mind a kiltpin, ScotL, they'll never let you take that antler on board, that's for sure :eye:

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I doubt you'll have a problem, as long as you remember not to crush the pleats when you sit down!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

When my eldest son, and family, lived in Winter Haven Fl., my
wife and I flew to visit them. I had no problem other than the
kilt straps, buckels and pin setting off the metal detector.
What pulled us aside was my CPAP machine and steam vapor
fluid that I use in the machine.

So go for it :D Have fun traveling in comfort while others
are uncomfortable :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Somewhat hilariously, I got got badgered by a collection of "security" types when boarding an aircraft from Chicago to Los Angeles sometime in the '90s. They objected not to the computer I carried in a jacket pocket but to the two ornate Japanese chopsticks carried in the same case. I pointed out that they were of wood and not likely to be used for anything nefarious. They let me on the aeroplane.

About two hours after takeoff, and in something that speaks volumes about precisely how good the 19th Century surveyors got stuff, I spotted the train I was supposed to be on from 30,000 feet in the air -- and felt cheated.

My late ex- met me at LAX and we had dinner at a nice little Mexican place where I used the chopsticks to eat fajitas. She was fine with that, but she'd seen me do it dozens of times before as those were my usual "tools" for bite-sized things.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

ScotL wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:28 am I’m sure this has been brought up before so please do not jump down my throat for bringing it up again.

I’m soliciting advice on wearing a kilt whilst flying.

https://www.linenweddingdress.com/produ ... 9657150529

That’s the kilt. Not traditional but I like it. Have a black t shirt to wear with it and probably black Adidas soccer shoes. Only other shoes I have with me are brown oxfords.

Flight is a short one to a layover and then three hours home. Was thinking of wearing shorts with the other stuff and then changing at the layover.

I’ll likely chicken out either way but was hopeful to get some advice for flying.

Did not bring a kilt pin as I’m a little worried that could get removed as a weapon.
The pattern in the material of the kilt, in the posted link is somewhat similar to the classic, Burberry check.
https://uk.burberry.com/the-burberry-check/
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

I can't imagine that would be a problem, and you'll be nice and comfortable on the flight. See if you can find a matching-patterned face mask, everyone I know who's flown lately has come down with covid. :lol:
happykilt

Post by happykilt »

I have been flying several times wearing a kilt. No problem at all.
After finding a kilt without any metal buckles (USA Kilt Casual) even less problems. :)
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Thank you all. I’m still likely gonna chicken out. Friday night is a busy time at the airport and I’m just sure it’s gonna be crowded and nerve wracking.

But who knows. I go through phases where I’m upfront and devil may care to scared poo-less.

Didn’t check a bag so I can scoot straight out.

The mask helps. Seems to at least.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

You're more "invisible" when it's crowded. 8)
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

My own concern about wearing a kilt for a plane journey some years ago seems odd to me now, because I've been wearing a kilt on an increasingly frequent basis for so long that, after a few months of venturing out in various forms of skirt, I treat wearing a kilt (especially a tartan kilt) as retreating to a safe and unchallenging option.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

FLbreezy wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:41 pm You're more "invisible" when it's crowded. 8)
Agreed. That’s an excellent point. Stand out so much more when there’s few people. Thanks, that’s very helpful to remember. Fly tomorrow unless weather kills it.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:15 pm My own concern about wearing a kilt for a plane journey some years ago seems odd to me now, because I've been wearing a kilt on an increasingly frequent basis for so long that, after a few months of venturing out in various forms of skirt, I treat wearing a kilt (especially a tartan kilt) as retreating to a safe and unchallenging option.
I get that. The kilt I decided to bring is the one I listed and although it’s a kilt, it’s not the traditional kilt. To me it’s a crossover between kilt and kilt like skirt. The tartan isn’t traditional. And is sort of the Burberry design. Different enough but I thought it and I have no fashion sense.

I had to pack quick. So I wasn’t really thinking. But the kilt and a black t shirt seems like it’ll work.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Note: This is long. Sorry. But you’ve been warned. I’m sort of “livestreaming” my first Kilted airline flight.

Can’t believe I didn’t chicken out but right now I wish I had.

I am flying home and have a layover. It’s a little cold where I started but warm where I am going. So pants for the first leg.

Debated or actually delayed thinking about it forever on the first leg. It was a short 45 min flight.

But God, did I have to pee. Couldn’t get off the flight fast enough. Headed straight to the John. Had to use a stall due to availability and stood there relieved thinking about changing into the kilt.

So I thought, I gots time. I’ll just try it on. Pontificated on the notion that I have a jacket tied around my waist. That should help cover up the back view. And I got a rolling bag and a laptop bag. For cover.

WTH, I’m in a stall. No one can see me.

So I put it on and well, the biggest reason I wear a kilt came shining through. It’s too damn comfortable.

Crap.

Though I may have said something else entirely.

So I rationalized putting on shorts underneath just in case. And tried. And it’s not the same and what am I really thinking. Mid flight, ripping off the kilt in some clandestine manner? That wouldn’t raise more suspicion.

So egg it. Or, not egg but what you can imagine autocorrect would change what I tried to say to “egg.”

So I walked out and walked to the gate. One guy seemed to recognize immediately. That didn’t help. But just the usual face of confusion? Not sure. No laughing. No pointing. Just the usual dulled travelers from TSA checks, screening, delayed flights and overpriced bad airport food ultimately deposited in smelly bathrooms.

But I walked into the gate area and sat down. It’s sort of hidden. Lots of people here and I am sweating. I think my cheeks are red but thankfully I’m masked (just like FLbreezy said, everyone’s catching covid on flights). But I’m sweating and thinking what fresh hell is this that my nerves are redlining on me. There’s a woman to my right who gave me a knowing smile. Or had gas. But it was non threatening and positive so could be either.

Think I heard someone across the room say “kilt” but I also thought someone mentioned my full name. Oh the worried mind is troublesome sort.

But then, a woman comes in and loudly expresses to her husband how unbearably hot it is. And it is. Others are removing coats. Not sure why it’s so hot but now do think I’m a bit more comfortable from a temperature standpoint than they are. But I’d be hard pressed to call myself comfortable.

I’m nervous. Slowly coming back to near normal. But I’m nervous.

Crowd is thickening. So far I haven’t seen anyone who I know. But I’m sure my boss, the Dean and my sworn enemy will be next to me.

But as I sit here and they announce boarding will be starting, my courage begins to increase. I’m not doing anything wrong. That’s the weird thing. I’m actually usually someone who dresses a little eccentric. A kilt ain’t out of what I would expect others to think would’ve been outside of my normal.

And it is just clothing. This is what rolls around in my head. It actually doesn’t detract from my masculinity. Whatever masculinity is. In fact, I might argue it takes a lotta balls to dress how you please without caring that others will laugh.

But I am nervous about that as stupid as that sounds. In fact, as I deplaned from the first flight, the pilot was there and it sent that feeling of “he’s a macho pilot and I’d be wearing a skirt.”

Which is odd, cause I’ve worn the kilt out in places where either I know the environment or places where I’m sure no one will know me or places where the kilt is part of a manner of dressing for the show or holiday. So maybe there will be similar compliments.

I’ve been watching people come and go around me. Stupidly when someone leaves, my mind swears it’s cause they don’t want to be the weirdo in the skirt. But as I think we’d all say, it’s an airport. People move around a lot.

Two minutes to boarding. Im gonna have to get up and walk to the gate. There’s a bit of a sense of foreboding cause I’m getting comfortable just sitting here. There’s a safety in being surrounded by strangers who haven’t made a stink about your clothing. At least to me.

And now I just got upgraded to first class.

So, we’ll it time
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

I remember reading, a long time ago, a post by a guy who got fed up with people giving him funny looks as he walked around town in his kilt, and was about to start making aggressive responses, when he suddenly realized that actually he was in trousers that day, and all the supposed reactions to his kilt were entirely in his imagination.