Cozy Blue Linen Kilt

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
ScotL
Chatbot

Cozy Blue Linen Kilt

Post by ScotL »

https://www.linenweddingdress.com/produ ... 9657150529

I just received this kilt in the mail. Takes months to get but it’s worth it cause they make them by hand. And wow, this is a winner. It’s definitely a kilt given the wrapping aprons and pleats in the back but it’s not a tartan that makes one wonder if you’re dressed for the Highland Games. Linen also seems to be sort of masculine. Not sure why but it just feels like something a man would wear despite residing right at the edge of manly kilt and feminine skirt.

Not cheap but I felt ok buying it cause it supports real artisans and not sweat shops or factories.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Cozy Blue Linen Kilt

Post by Freedomforall »

I like it a lot. Is it heavy? I don't think it would as it is linen.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Interesting. Linen is a great fabric but I never thought that is was capable of retaining pleats.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

I really like this kilt, with the buckles and straps symmetrical at each side.

Considering, it is made to measure, which I can tell from the description on the webpage, €110 doesn't seem inappropriate.

I have a few questions, however:

How many yards do you think it is? Two yards or less?
The pleats don't seem very deep, but with this I should have no problem.

They say, the fabric is medium weight and 205 g per squaremeter or 7.2 oz.
But is it medium weight? When talking kilts lightweight is 10-11 oz. per approx. 1,25 squaremeters equalizing 8 oz per squaremeter, This 'medium weight kilt' should therefore be somewhat lighter than a 10 oz. lightweight-kilt?

And how about maintenance? Is it prone to ironing?
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

That looks really good. The symmetrical straps are confusing me though...it's it wrap-around like a kilt or is it a step-in like a skirt?
Pleats

Post by Pleats »

A a general rule linen wrinkles terribly unless it is a linen blend with rayon or wool. Like cotton it will not hold a pleat. On cotton kilts I have the pleats are sewn along the edge to hold them in place.

The second strap looks strange because we are use to seeing only one strap on that side. They just created a second strap hole and added the strap. It will wrap around just like a regular kilt. The second strap on either side serves no purpose. Just there for looks.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I like linen and the style, but I would worry about wrinkling and pleats not holding their shape - do keep us updated with how it "holds up".
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

FLbreezy wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:59 pm That looks really good. The symmetrical straps are confusing me though...it's it wrap-around like a kilt or is it a step-in like a skirt?
It still would be a wrap around kilt (skirt) as the two straps on the left side are threaded thru the kilt to mate with the buckles - - -
If a female type kilt skirt the two straps on the right side are threaded thru the garment to mate with the buckles - mirror image.

In reality with the kilt using a strap and buckle closing would only need one such arrangement on either side.
Best for security to have one on each side -

What the second one on the right side (or left) is a mystery other than to tighten the kilt across the hips (low waist)

Alternatively some of these have an internal velcro button tab securing the kilt from the inside -

And then there are the newer type wrap kilts with velcro as the buckling method - sans buckles and threaded holes in the garment.

The maintenance and care of the kilt with buckles is a problem - dry cleaning laundering with all the hardware causing mayhem in the machines and perhaps to the kilt fabric itself
especially with metal buckles - the use of nylon (plastic) buckles reduces this but then the buckle itself may succumb to damage - leather is going to take a beating !
Solution - have belt loops on the kilt and use a separate belt - - -

Heavy kilts (multi {box-double box} pleats may need secure fastening about the waist.

To each his own and the devil for all of us
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Freedomforall wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:23 am I like it a lot. Is it heavy? I don't think it would as it is linen.
I love it so far. Super light. Not heavy at all. It wrinkles some but linen gives naturally to wrinkles and it doesn’t look bad at all. Not horribly wrinkled. Super comfortable too. Some of my heavier kilts feel heavy. This is light and airy and just feels like more of the women’s skirts I own, just in kilt format
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

denimini wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:32 am Interesting. Linen is a great fabric but I never thought that is was capable of retaining pleats.
So far so good. Pleats remain.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

GerdG wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:57 pm I really like this kilt, with the buckles and straps symmetrical at each side.

Considering, it is made to measure, which I can tell from the description on the webpage, €110 doesn't seem inappropriate.

I have a few questions, however:

How many yards do you think it is? Two yards or less?
The pleats don't seem very deep, but with this I should have no problem.

They say, the fabric is medium weight and 205 g per squaremeter or 7.2 oz.
But is it medium weight? When talking kilts lightweight is 10-11 oz. per approx. 1,25 squaremeters equalizing 8 oz per squaremeter, This 'medium weight kilt' should therefore be somewhat lighter than a 10 oz. lightweight-kilt?

And how about maintenance? Is it prone to ironing?
I haven’t had it long enough to know if it will need ironing. Worn it twice and the pleats still look great.

It’s lightweight. I have no idea how to judge weights and yards but it’s a similar weight as my first kilt, tartinista from Amazon. Might even be a little lighter but due to the fabric, it’s not flimsy (read it doesn’t blow away easily). A kilt pin could help but I forgot to put it on and it just didn’t matter.

Linens real comfortable though. And for hot places, cool.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

FLbreezy wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:59 pm That looks really good. The symmetrical straps are confusing me though...it's it wrap-around like a kilt or is it a step-in like a skirt?
Think of it as a normal kilt but there’s just an extra strap on the left that pulls through the apron. Goes on exactly the same way as a kilt just with a fourth strap
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:05 pm I like linen and the style, but I would worry about wrinkling and pleats not holding their shape - do keep us updated with how it "holds up".
I’ll let you know after I’ve had it for awhile. Linen does tend to wrinkle but there’s something about it that even wrinkled some looks classy. At least to me. Maybe classy ain’t the right word. But as a man wearing a skirt, the linen definitely seems to state that this is not a woman’s skirt.
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

ScotL wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:29 am https://www.linenweddingdress.com/produ ... 9657150529

I just received this kilt in the mail. Takes months to get but it’s worth it cause they make them by hand. And wow, this is a winner. It’s definitely a kilt given the wrapping aprons and pleats in the back but it’s not a tartan that makes one wonder if you’re dressed for the Highland Games. Linen also seems to be sort of masculine. Not sure why but it just feels like something a man would wear despite residing right at the edge of manly kilt and feminine skirt.

Not cheap but I felt ok buying it cause it supports real artisans and not sweat shops or factories.
That's really nice ..I like that a lot ..
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Tazzmac wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:12 pm
ScotL wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:29 am https://www.linenweddingdress.com/produ ... 9657150529

That's really nice ..I like that a lot ..
I’ve now worn it several times. Keeps the pleats and is very comfortable cause it’s light and airy. Ordered one in black also because of this. They have many colors and it’s really linen. Sometimes linen stuff is part linen. This is true linen. And excellent customer service