Kilt length - advice requested

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
familyman34
Distinguished Member

Kilt length - advice requested

Post by familyman34 »

On my wife's prompting, I've recently bought a number of kilts (cheap, from Ebay, in case I/we don't like the results). But they vary quite a bit in length; the first one was 20 inches long, and arrives above my knees; the second (in St Patrick's tartan) is 26 inches long and completely hides my knees, and one (sold as 22 inches long) is due to arrive tomorrow and will probably be just above my knees.

I haven't been able to find a previous topic here on the subject using the search string "kilt length", as the words in the "search query were ignored because they are too common words: length kilt."

What length should I aim for? Should I try to make them all the same length?

I generally like my other skirts to come 2 or 3 inches above my knees, and have shortened at least half of them from what they were initially. When I get skirts from charity shops, I often have to take in the waist too, on one occasion by 4 inches!
Familyman34
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Kilt length - advice requested

Post by FLbreezy »

The "kilt police" will say something about covering the kneecap, but I'd say just wear the length you want. Something around 17"-19" seems to be the comfortable sweet spot for me, but it's a bit shorter than traditional. It also depends on if you wear them high or at the "pants waist".
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I think it's rather a matter of personal taste. A Highland kilt would conventionally come about halfway down the knee cap, or a little shorter if intended for casual wear or outdoor activities. My first kilt, which I now use mainly for Scottish dancing, is the conventional length, but I also have a lightweight kilt that comes to the top of the knee. A tartan kilt that comes to the bottom of the kneecap will look a bit long for convention, but you'll get away with it as long as it doesn't overlap the sock. Any tartan kilt longer or shorter than that range will fall into the "unconventional" category.

You can get away with a wider range of lengths in utility kilts, I would think.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Generally speaking(and from what I've been taught), to correctly measure for a
kilt it will take 2 people. The person doing the measurement and the 'victim'.
There are 3 points to measure..... 1) Natural waist(at the navel. Most kilts are
worn slightly above the 'natural waist'. 2) Hip measurement. 3) The Fell.
The 'victim' is on his knees, on the floor, standing as straight as possible.
The fell is the measurement from the waist to the floor, taken on either the
left or right side of the 'victim' The result is usually 24", which is a general
'rule-of-thumb'. The hem will hit just about the middle of the knee. I like my
skirts to do the same, or slightly longer for additional 'visual protection'.

Hope this info helps :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

When I was measured up for my first kilt, the measurist got me to kneel on the floor, the kilt should just touch the ground when you kneel, the top of the kilt at the natural waist which is just below the ribs. That was for a traditional formal kilt type thing. Speaking of which, I wish I could lose the final stone and get to my ideal weight, then stop losing weight so that it will be worth getting my kilt altered, at the moment there is room for a second small person in there alongside me! Same with most of my skirts, the only ones that fit now are the ones that were too tight to wear. Kind of annoying that thanks to my prescriptions my weight loss has stalled.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

To expound on Uncle Al's note -
Yes - the critical measurement should be done by two - because any bending over to read the measuring stick*** is apt to distort that measurement.
*** For a solo application this measurement might be done by feel realizing that even at that there maybe a difference of 1-2 inches ?
Breaking at the knee is the important aspect - a slight difference in the navel waist position is where the slack is taken in if any.
Measurements for participants in a Regimental unit or Piper band needs to be uniform in appearance

General standard application:
A 6 foot tall bloke would wear a dress formal kilt with a length of 24 inches (navel to knee)

Taller and shorter kilter folk adjust for the difference accordingly.

My comment:
Now all other kilts be they -

casual - -
sport -
utilitarian -
mini* (my favorite @ 14-16 inches but nothing shorter than 12 inches)
and on the greater side - skirted (anything below the knee - calf to the ankle)

The type of kilt application will dictate the type of sox or perhaps hosiery to be worn.

Now with that all noted - THROW THE RULE BOOK AWAY and just wear the kilt as you like it --- Formal wear excepted !
i
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

If you are of average build, you cannot go totally wrong with a kilt a third of your height. In my case it is true. I’m 176 cm/5’9 and a 23” kilt, fastened at my natural waist, will just cover the upper part of my knees. Wanting kilts a bit shorter, however, most of my kilts are 22.5” like the one in the picture.
If I wear them lower, a 21” kilt is just OK, too – if rules are to be followed and one inch about the kneecap is acceptable.

But I also have them shorter, because to me kilts are 95% casual wear.

13 oz. 5-yard wool kilt, 22.5” long, Gunn Ancient tartan.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

G'day , Kilt Police in one great answer here is sure right.. I was also on a kilts only forum and boy did some of them get carried away in that regard ..
Two things ..First of all , wear them as you will.. It's your choice ,nobody else's. Bugger any kilt cops who does .

The second point is my preference is for 22" ..I am 173 cm in shoes and I like my kilts both traditional and utility a bit above the knee . I look ridiculous I think if its on the knee at all . I also have a couple of my 25 or so kilts between 20 and 21 inches . One is leather and it's huge fun to wear and the other is a khaki , light as heck and borderline as much a skirt as outright kilt..

As it happens I added to my collection also on EBAY and three new 'kilts' arrived two days ago .. So cheap at $29 each so I bought three ..Going by the pictures they looked like trad looking with side buckles . On arrival they are more costume kilts with a joined front apron .

Initially I was a bit disappointed that both I didn't read properly the description and that the description didn't mention the apron was sewed in permanently . I then tried one of and was pleasantly surprised how good they look and feel . I put one of my kilt belts on with it and it was great . I probably now have 25 kilts and 3 tartan skirts but it matters not now . I really like them and will wear them over time ..

One other thing if I may .. If you decide to change the hem of your kilts I suggest you get someone with reasonable skills to do it if either you or your wife don't feel confident enough to do it ..Wool kilts especially are not easy to alter .. from first hand experience... Cheers to you ..
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Tazzmac wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:12 am If you decide to change the hem of your kilts I suggest you get someone with reasonable skills to do it if either you or your wife don't feel confident enough to do it ..Wool kilts especially are not easy to alter ..
A properly made man's Highland kilt does not have a hem: the lower edge of the kilt is the selvedge of the woven material. (I was told in a Scottish charity shop that this often provided a quick way of telling the difference between a man's kilt and a woman's tartan skirt.)

Having said that, I do have a Scottish ex-hire kilt with a sewn hem.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:17 am Having said that, I do have a Scottish ex-hire kilt with a sewn hem.
I have, too. It was the last made-to-my-measures kilt I bought from Heritage of Scotland. The fact, that the kilt was hemmed was that disappointing, that I would buy no more kilts from them. Two years later they gave up custom kilts and today their assortment of ready-made Pakistani kilts is limited to sizes which shall fit very few men.
As a matter of fact, there is no visible difference from outside. I just didn't find it appropriate that the kilt was, after all, not made so much according to my measures as I had expected.

Therefore, a keen seemstress should be able to shorten a kilt.
GerdG

r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Regarding shortening the hem of a kilt -
Myopic Bookworm "A properly made man's Highland kilt does not have a hem: the lower edge of the kilt is the selvedge of the woven material."
Selvage
A selvage or selvedge is a "self-finished" edge of a piece of fabric which keeps it from unraveling and fraying.
The term "self-finished" means that the edge does not require additional finishing work…

So you are going to mess with the finished edge - - -
You could simply fold it over and stitch it in place - rip out the stitches and you are back to where you started.
If you permanently cut off to the desired hem length - there is no going back - - -
And the edge needs attention least the fabric begins to unravel.
This is best done with a sewing machine known as a serger - a type of sewing machine that cuts off the excess and stitches a finished seam on the edge - no unraveling.

Most kilt manufacturers today offer a variety of hem lengths - the basics at regular retail price - short or longer than that at perhaps a service charge - - -
With this in mind you don't really need to worry about the right hem length.
Buying bidding begging stealing what have you a kilt off of Etsy eBay Thrift Savers Salvation Army you may be stuck with a decision on hem length and what to do about it.
Depending on your talent and budget may determine what you can do about your kilted quest.

Oh and the Kilted Police don't carry out enforcement - tape measures - claymores - morning stars - even shillelaghs --- maybe a stern scowling look or voice of disapproval.
Be careful discussing kilt alterations while visiting that orthodox kilt forum !
Leave with your fingers able to peck out characters on the qwerty - LOL !

"KILT-ON"
One of our members used to sign off with that !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:17 am
Tazzmac wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:12 am If you decide to change the hem of your kilts I suggest you get someone with reasonable skills to do it if either you or your wife don't feel confident enough to do it ..Wool kilts especially are not easy to alter ..
A properly made man's Highland kilt does not have a hem: the lower edge of the kilt is the selvedge of the woven material. (I was told in a Scottish charity shop that this often provided a quick way of telling the difference between a man's kilt and a woman's tartan skirt.)

Having said that, I do have a Scottish ex-hire kilt with a sewn hem.
Yes you are right and especially when its' the traditional 24" drop ..If you want to shorten it more than a little this can affect the selvedge.. I have a former pipe band kilt that is marked as 22.". It's the real deal and the name of the wearer near the maker tag in faded black marker on the waist band . It had to be altered to suit the wearer according to the item description on EBAY . This kilt is one of my favourites and I wear it a lot and bought it about 10 years ago. One of the first I did buy once I got into kilting . Some pipe bands occasionally sell on their kilts like this one . ..Definitely correct you are about selvedge and something I failed to mention though and why I was told they aren't easy to for first timers to adapt without a tailor or similar . I guess if it's not for formal wear it wouldn't be as big a deal ..Cheers
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

familyman34 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:52 pm
What length should I aim for? Should I try to make them all the same length?

I generally like my other skirts to come 2 or 3 inches above my knees, and have shortened at least half of them from what they were initially. When I get skirts from charity shops, I often have to take in the waist too, on one occasion by 4 inches!
Familyman, If you have not yet had your kilts shortened, and considering their low price, I think you might experiment with the length. Why not have them in different lengths? If you like your other skirts to be 2 or 3 inches above your knees, you might want your kilts to be short as well. Make one of them the shortest "correct" length, up to one inch above your knees, one 2 inches above knees and the last one 3-4 inches above knees.

To purists a kilt that short shall be disgusting, but if you can wear a short skirt you can also wear a short tartan skirt or kilted skirt or kilt, of course.

A cheap kilt, ordered 20" short, which it barely is and worn high to really make it short. Stewart Black tartan.

A kilted skirt, 17 inches and worn as low as it could. MacGregor tartan.

I won't say that I wear these minis often, but when I feel like it, I do.
GerdG

ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

We (yes, I am over generalizing here, always wear socks pulled up to the knee with kilts. It mimics the traditional but given the kilts these days ain’t the kilts of yore, why keep to these pulled up socks. I never wear socks that high unless I’m playing soccer and need something to keep the shin guards in place
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

ScotL wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:22 am We (yes, I am over generalizing here, always wear socks pulled up to the knee with kilts. It mimics the traditional but given the kilts these days ain’t the kilts of yore, why keep to these pulled up socks. I never wear socks that high unless I’m playing soccer and need something to keep the shin guards in place
I just cannot find socks that stay up when I am walking, not even with garters or whatever they are called. One reason I like longer skirts so I don't need to continuously pull the socks back up again (This includes kilt hose, even with the flashes attachment mechanism, I guess my legs are the wrong shape or something! Double sided tape maybe? probably just give me dermatitis!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!