Cultural Appropriation?

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Cultural Appropriation?

Post by Stu »

I don't believe in cultural appropriation, otherwise I would challenge anyone who didn't have a European heritage who wore a tie, or a baseball cap, or a pinafore dress.

The kilt is strictly-speaking a component of Highland Dress and was not worn by other Scots as a rule. King George IV changed that in the early 19th Century when he decided to appear in public in Edinburgh wearing that costume, hoping that would endear him to the locals who would overlook his German ancestry and accept him as one of their own. As I understand it, that kicked off the Kilt = Scotsmen association.

I wouldn't be bothered about wearing a proper kilt myself because British men who do are generally assumed to be doing so to mark their association with Scotland. I have no such link, so I would feel like an imposter. A solid colour kilt is usually more associated with Ireland and Irish dancing or music bands, but it's a far looser connection. I wouldn't have a problem with wearing one of those, but obviously without the other parts of the costume and accoutrements.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Stu wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:57 pm The kilt is strictly-speaking a component of Highland Dress and was not worn by other Scots as a rule. King George IV changed that in the early 19th Century when he decided to appear in public in Edinburgh wearing that costume, hoping that would endear him to the locals who would overlook his German ancestry and accept him as one of their own. As I understand it, that kicked off the Kilt = Scotsmen association.
Absolutely true, a confidence trick of epic proportions played on a whole nation with repercussions which have stood the test of time and far beyond the original borders.
I doubt George IV could ever have seen that coming.
Steve.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Maybe what I should have said was: "Utilikilts are produced by an American company selling an American made, American designed, innovative garment that is not the "traditional Scottish kilt." I'm an American mutt. Shut up and go away...."
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Dust wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:35 am I'm an American mutt. Shut up and go away...
HA! I love it!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

It occurred to me that the "Madras Kilt" could have been described as a kilted skirt.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

I find it rather amusing though somewhat confusing that in this day and age that there are ongoing arguments about who can and should or should not wear any garment. It is just a way of creating and maintaining more lines of division in a world that has more than enough.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Maybe it all comes down to dating?
If the women suddenly queued up for a chance of a date with a skirted man you would see skirts on every eligible bachelor.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:36 pm If the women suddenly queued up for a chance of a date with a skirted man you would see skirts on every eligible bachelor.
Make that skirt a "Kilt" and con or not, the queue will form.
Weird thing in my mind is that society as a whole not just women, cannot see beyond that.
In some places even a kilted skirt in the right sort of check would likely work too.
That's one for any young bucks in the cafe to try if you wish to live dangerously.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:05 pm
Barleymower wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:36 pm If the women suddenly queued up for a chance of a date with a skirted man you would see skirts on every eligible bachelor.
Make that skirt a "Kilt" and con or not, the queue will form.
Weird thing in my mind is that society as a whole not just women, cannot see beyond that.
In some places even a kilted skirt in the right sort of check would likely work too.
That's one for any young bucks in the cafe to try if you wish to live dangerously.
Steve.
The way you carry yourself Steve there no doubt you are on the guy side of the fence. That's what the young guys need to know. Get that right and you can wear a tutu
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

I behave no differently in skirts or kilts than in trousers (save for a little more effort in modesty) but my wife still fears losing her “manly man”. (I’ve never discovered what she means. I don’t do boxing, rugby, weightlifting and I don’t heft an axe or wield a chainsaw, ride a superbike or scream down the motorway in a Porsche*. So I can’t see what manliness I have to lose :lol: )

*The 70 year-old husband of one of her sisters has recently replaced his sedate Jaguar with a 3 litre Porsche with pop-up spoiler. I think it’s the Panamera Platinum Edition. Maybe I need to do the same :rofl:

[Edited to remove an error introduced by auto misspell ]