kilt wearing

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
stephanie53

kilt wearing

Post by stephanie53 »

Today I wanted to find out how it felt to wear a kilt in cooler weather. I'd googled it and found out that it's very warm, and of course it offers alot of freedom. So donning 1 of mine off I went. Errands to do, laundromat, food shopping , voting because I don't want to stand in the rain because it's suppose to rain on Tuesday. Got some positive comments too! Let me know what you think.
thumbnail.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: kilt wearing

Post by r.m.anderson »

Wearing a KILT is usually a conversation starter - common assumptions - you are Scottish - you play the pipes -
and after all that is settled - WHY ?
Egads !
Give me a break -
Ya donna hafta be Scottish to wear de KILT - you can also be Irish -
OR whoever you wanna be.

New Years - Mardi Gras - Halloween - and any other occasion is more than enough to wear the damn KILT -

Just be prepared to banter the topic around back and forth and enjoy the malarkey !

KILT-on !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Kilt-wearing is a lot of fun, you definitely get people's attention (in a good way).
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

stephanie53 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:37 pm Today I wanted to find out how it felt to wear a kilt in cooler weather. I'd googled it and found out that it's very warm, and of course it offers alot of freedom. So donning 1 of mine off I went. Errands to do, laundromat, food shopping , voting because I don't want to stand in the rain because it's suppose to rain on Tuesday. Got some positive comments too! Let me know what you think.thumbnail.jpg
Looks awesome! Wore my kilt to vote today! Not one comment. Which is odd. I tend to have at least one person comment on it.

Only thing. Need darker shoes. White looks funny to me
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Here in Dublin in the early part of the year when the Scots come to play rugby the place is awash with kilts and to my surprise in Naas where I work, 25 miles from Dublin a whole posse of them turned up kilted to enjoy the local hostelries.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

I will wear kilt in cold weather with no probs,
I do get same thing Are u Scottish do u play pipes and so on.
most of the time i'm wearing a black utility kilt with red or green mixed into it,
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

G'day all ...We have had ridiculous rain where I live ...In the month of October we had (get this) 544mm or 22 inches for the month in the old money . Turns out to be the highest rainfall in a month since records have been kept in our region . That doesn't count the two months previous and all through winter with wet day after wet day . Our golf and bowls club of which I'm a senior committee member has had to close off the course for the past six weeks . Not one comp in all that time and big chunks of the course is unplayable and unmowable. That sucks .. So being wet and cold I've barely had a kilt out since Spring began . Today was a public holiday and it hit 24 Celcius and the next few days are going to be in the twenties too so I got out one of my utility kilts for a wear . It was great .. Can't wear them to work obviously as we have basically a uniform but I will be wearing shorts for the first time since early April at least .. About seven months of long trousers is hard to take .

Was tempted to buy a new kilt a week or so ago via good ol'EBAY but will hold off until my Annual Leave starts just before Christmas ..Even better is I have an additional month off over and above the usual A/L month because I have way too much Long Service Leave worked up and have to use some up otherwise my employer (State Government Human Resources via Education Department) will make me take some ..

Hope I get to use some kilts then . Cheers ...
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

I wear my kilts everyday 365 days a year. They are conversation starters, the main questionsite I get asked is are,
Q, are you Scottish.? A, no I am English (West Yorkshire)

Q, why do you wear kilts? A, Because I can,, and they are very comfortable and ideal for the South African climate.

Q, where are your bag pipes? A. Under my kilt keeping warm and cosy.

Q.Do you wear anything under your kilt? A. Ask my wife.
Hope you all have a very happy, kilted new year
Melvin.
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

I have incorporated kilts into my non-work wardrobe fairly well, particularly during the warm seasons. I think I have worn kilts more than shorts for the last couple of years, at least. I wear utility kilts most of the time while kilted, but do don the traditional tartan kilts for special occasions. Reactions? Mostly nil with the utility kilts, but I do get an occasional “nice kilt” comment. Questions are the typical: “are you Irish or Scottish, do you play the pipes?” Tartan kilts seem more costume-like to me, at least as everyday attire. For special occasions, as the Scottish seem to do, tartan kilts are the choice, outside of a dress pinstripe utility kilt that I own.

This past week I took advantage of unseasonably warm temps in NE Ohio and wore my winter green utility kilt to a local Christmas movie memorabilia museum. Got a couple of “nice kilt” comments, and “what clan are you” questions. The next day I wore my Boyd tartan kilt (a very Christmasy-like tartan) to a former estate-now museum that is decked out for Christmas every year. I definitely stood out more in the tartan kilt, and overheard a couple of negative-leaning comments from passers by. While not deterred, it struck me as very disappointing that people commented in a negative manner about what I chose to wear, and it was a “man’s” garment! Unfortunately I think we have a long way to go before skirts are accepted for men. I own about as many skirts/skorts as I do kilts, but I’m still working on my courage and fortitude to go public with them.
FC6A39F0-D572-4EBD-B411-D47940F9BF1B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Looks good! Kilts are universally accepted, especially the traditional tartan ones 8)
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Offkilter69 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:58 pm I have incorporated kilts into my non-work wardrobe fairly well, particularly during the warm seasons. I think I have worn kilts more than shorts for the last couple of years, at least. I wear utility kilts most of the time while kilted, but do don the traditional tartan kilts for special occasions. Reactions? Mostly nil with the utility kilts, but I do get an occasional “nice kilt” comment. Questions are the typical: “are you Irish or Scottish, do you play the pipes?” Tartan kilts seem more costume-like to me, at least as everyday attire. For special occasions, as the Scottish seem to do, tartan kilts are the choice, outside of a dress pinstripe utility kilt that I own.

This past week I took advantage of unseasonably warm temps in NE Ohio and wore my winter green utility kilt to a local Christmas movie memorabilia museum. Got a couple of “nice kilt” comments, and “what clan are you” questions. The next day I wore my Boyd tartan kilt (a very Christmasy-like tartan) to a former estate-now museum that is decked out for Christmas every year. I definitely stood out more in the tartan kilt, and overheard a couple of negative-leaning comments from passers by. While not deterred, it struck me as very disappointing that people commented in a negative manner about what I chose to wear, and it was a “man’s” garment! Unfortunately I think we have a long way to go before skirts are accepted for men. I own about as many skirts/skorts as I do kilts, but I’m still working on my courage and fortitude to go public with them.
FC6A39F0-D572-4EBD-B411-D47940F9BF1B.jpeg
Looks great! Despite kilts being accepted, they aren’t commonly seen. Your continued wearing of them is awesome and will go a long way towards “normalizing” them for others. Not necessarily for others to wear but to not necessarily notice them either. Kudos!
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

In this regard ...I have had a couple of very positive interactions with people while I'm in a kilt .. The first one was my former next door neighbour . She came walking with me and my dogs a few times (with her dog too) ..Maybe about five times and although I didn't wear a kilt every time with her , she certainly got comfortable with the idea and it seemed pretty okay .. The other one was a former district nurse who cared for my Mum in her last couple of years . She used to call in every week to help with mum's more delicate medical needs and to overall assess her condition ..One day many years after Mum passed I was walking the dogs on a very quiet track when by chance I met up with Ann (the nurse ) retired by then . At fIrst she was surprised I think to see me dressed like this . It was one of my shorter utility kilts too ..We talked for several minutes actually and we recounted Mum too and other things ..I actually think she was impressed by my kilt look although she didn't really say all that much about my attire. Not really had much interaction otherwise over the years except occasional current neighbours seeing me but they tend to keep to themselves .. Cheers
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

This pic. appeared in 'The Guardian' of a New Year's Day dip in Loch Lomond.

Alone among a group of unfit fatties, this lithe young blood penetrated cleanly wearing an elegant kilt. Good for him !

Tom
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Kirbstone wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:12 am This pic. appeared in 'The Guardian' of a New Year's Day dip in Loch Lomond.

Alone among a group of unfit fatties, this lithe young blood penetrated cleanly wearing an elegant kilt. Good for him !

Tom
Great Photo Tom. That water is going to be proper cold!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Yes, BM. In the dim light conditions the photographer had a very good camera to be able to use fast enough a shutter speed to 'freeze' the action just there.
Being a rower I had two very different duckings in recent times: 1/ A collision in March on the river Corrib in Galway and our coxless IV tipped us in. It was 'proper cold' as you say. 2/ I fell out of my single scull at the FISA World Masters rowing in Libourne, S.W.France last September. The lake water was gorgeously warm....at least 25 deg. C.

Tom