Hot weather kilt

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hot weather kilt

Post by STEVIE »

FLbreezy wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:10 pm I'm not under any illusion as to it being a skirt. It's actually not even a real wrap, it's a pull-on skirt with an extra fold in front to have a more kilt-like apron. It does hide the outline of man-bits a little better than their regular adventure skirt. I like both styles, they're really comfortable.
Good for you FL I hadn't spotted the fakery.
I find that amusing because I have a false wrap on from Marks and Spencer which a lot of people identify as a kilt,
No resemblance in the slightest. When it is windy, the loose apron flaps and seems to draw attention.
Folks think they may get a glimpse of forbidden territory, ha ha!
Steve.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

FLbreezy wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:38 pm Purple Rain has a re-designed adventure kilt available now: https://www.purplerainskirts.com/shop/a ... kilt-black
The original advenuture kilt has gotten a makeover. It has an updated waistband that features an enclosed elastic band and drawstring for that perfect fit. The shorts conversion also got an update with a more intuitive snap design for additional coverage when needed.
So I've had mine for about a week and it's quickly become on of my favorite skirts to wear. I've worn it around home and also out to Costco, the home improvement store, the car dealership, talking with neighbors, out for long walks, you name it. My wife also seems very comfortable with me wearing it out and about, which is not always the case.

It comes with a pair of snaps in front and back. The back pair makes the skirt look like a pair of loose basketball shorts from the behind, and makes any kind of accidental upskirt view pretty much impossible. The front pair really just anchor the flap in front so that it won't blow open. I've only used the front snap a few times when it was really windy.

One feature I really like is how much freedom of movement it has without being a big flowy garment. I can easily step up and in to/out of my Jeep truck without restriction and without flashing anyone or needing to pull up the hem for more leg freedom.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

I'd wear that. Problem is, getting it to this side of the pond appears to be a non-trivial matter these days.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

rode_kater wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:18 am I'd wear that. Problem is, getting it to this side of the pond appears to be a non-trivial matter these days.
My experience is that it works -- it's just that the packet takes about a fortnight to reach the UK, having meandered around the US via a series of postal hubs with a stopover at each one. It's worth the wait, though.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

For the people who bought a Purple Rain skirt: which measurement did you use for sizing? The hip or the waist measurement? Normally I'd go with the waist measurement, but it depends how stretchy the material is.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

The fabrics offered change from time to time, and the ones I have are all a bit stretchy. The waistbands are very stretchy. However, the sizing seems to be somewhat variable. I have a kilt and two skirts, all nominally of the same waist size but with differing fit. The newest one is the tightest, and I prefer that because it stays put when my mobile phone and keys are in the pockets.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

There's a surprise, they don't go big enough for a monster like me!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

rode_kater wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:53 pm For the people who bought a Purple Rain skirt: which measurement did you use for sizing? The hip or the waist measurement? Normally I'd go with the waist measurement, but it depends how stretchy the material is.
I used the waist measurement. The waist is stretchy...I'm a 40ish in a kilt size, 36(USA)-ish in pants...went with Large and they fit nicely.
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

geron wrote:
> The fabrics offered change from time to time, and the ones I have are all a
> bit stretchy. The waistbands are very stretchy. However, the sizing seems
> to be somewhat variable. I have a kilt and two skirts, all nominally of the
> same waist size but with differing fit. The newest one is the tightest, and
> I prefer that because it stays put when my mobile phone and keys are in the
> pockets.
I’ve been thinking about trying one of her products. Since you have both, do you prefer the skirt or the “kilt”, which is more like a pseudo wrap skirt than a kilt. I think my Lady may give me less grief for the “kilt”, although I think I would like the skirt better.
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

Sport Kilt hiking kilts are cool and very comfortable! They are among my go-to “comfy/relax” wear kilts along with three defunct kilts from Mountain Hardwear.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Offkilter69 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:37 pm I’ve been thinking about trying one of her products. Since you have both, do you prefer the skirt or the “kilt”, which is more like a pseudo wrap skirt than a kilt. I think my Lady may give me less grief for the “kilt”, although I think I would like the skirt better.
My first order included the kilt, which I imagined would be less controversial or more socially acceptable. But I liked wearing the skirts better and it turned out that my wife approved of them too. The extra fabric on the kilt just felt a bit unnecessary and I wasn't convinced by the press-studs for converting into shorts -- the result just looked a bit weird to me. The kilt design has lately been updated, but my own preference would still be for the skirts.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

The extra fabric on the "kilt" feels a bit more modest to me in front, no male "bump" shows through. The only time I use the snap is on a windy day to secure the front.

The skirts are super comfy, and I like the length of them. Right now the "kilt" is only available in black so I'll be getting a few of the skirts in other colors most likely.
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

geron wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:03 pm
Offkilter69 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:37 pm I’ve been thinking about trying one of her products. Since you have both, do you prefer the skirt or the “kilt”, which is more like a pseudo wrap skirt than a kilt. I think my Lady may give me less grief for the “kilt”, although I think I would like the skirt better.
My first order included the kilt, which I imagined would be less controversial or more socially acceptable. But I liked wearing the skirts better and it turned out that my wife approved of them too. The extra fabric on the kilt just felt a bit unnecessary and I wasn't convinced by the press-studs for converting into shorts -- the result just looked a bit weird to me. The kilt design has lately been updated, but my own preference would still be for the skirts.
I ordered my first Purple Rain Adventure Skirt after taking advantage of a sale with free shipping. I went with the skirt over the “kilt” in the namesake purple — a cool and fun color but definitely will not be blending into the background if I go public. My initial take is that it is very comfortable and super light weight, almost too much so. The length is perfect for my 5’10” height, the pockets are good, and it is not restrictive at all. The overall quality is very good as advertised, but I did notice that the wide waistband does tend to ride down without hips for support. That being said, I wish the skirt had a draw string like the redesigned “kilt” does. I may eventually try the “kilt” as well after I save up some more pennies. I’m always glad to support a small company!
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

I have several of the purple rain skirts. I love them. I started with the kilt, then bought the skirts. I have to check out the new kilt. I had them put a snap at the hem on the skirts for when it’s windy out or to make them look like shorts when needed.

As for the elastic band at the waist, I found this on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Stret ... 366&sr=8-4
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

photoguy207 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:13 am I have several of the purple rain skirts. I love them. I started with the kilt, then bought the skirts. I have to check out the new kilt. I had them put a snap at the hem on the skirts for when it’s windy out or to make them look like shorts when needed.

As for the elastic band at the waist, I found this on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Stret ... 366&sr=8-4
Thanks for the belt suggestion! Why do you prefer the skirt over the kilt?