BURNS NIGHT

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

BURNS NIGHT

Post by r.m.anderson »

OK for all you skirted Kilt wearers - this is your holiday "Burns Night"

LINK: https://www.scotsman.com/heritage-and-r ... is-3531191

So get those pleated plaids and assorted buckled skirted outfits out of the closet and party tonight !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: BURNS NIGHT

Post by Bodycon »

Round here Burns night is November 5th.

Having teachers attempt indoctrination of Burns as a child, I can only say I find his stuff irritating, and quite a fair few songs and poems attributed to him are not his, but collected by him, including Auld Lang Syne.

Still, a good excuse for a dress up and drink.....if you are inclined, just don't chew too hard on the sheep intestines.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Just how one could lay hands on a bit of Haggis nowadays must be quite a problem, as due to Global Warming their hunting grounds have been driven further & further North....right up into Stevie country and I believe not a single specimen has been shot South of Aberdeen for a few years now. They're flying at altitude, far out of shotgun range.

We don't celebrate Burns hereabouts, but just by myself I'll splash a drop of Oban ten-year-old Malt into a glass and toast....meself!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I would love to be out and celebrating "Burns Night" but, I'm unable to
do so. This time of year, the Mountain Cedar Pine Pollen, infiltrates
my area and makes my sinuses clog up and my nose run wide open :!:
Then, too, all I want to do is sleep :(

Have fun everyone :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Apparently the Scottish government attempted to put a Happy Burns Night message out and got it wrong. https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/s ... li=BBoPWjQ Well, happens to the best, at least the intention was there. Not even a beginner with Gaelic so can't say whether this is right or wrong.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

Sinned wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:45 pm Apparently the Scottish government attempted to put a Happy Burns Night message out and got it wrong. https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/s ... li=BBoPWjQ Well, happens to the best, at least the intention was there. Not even a beginner with Gaelic so can't say whether this is right or wrong.
The Surname Burns doesn't have a translation, it just is what it is. The numpty translated burns (as in injury) in error.

Quite funny, especially as Burns didn't speak Gaelic. No doubt some politicians will use it as cheap ammunition though.
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

Sinned wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:45 pm Apparently the Scottish government attempted to put a Happy Burns Night message out and got it wrong. https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/s ... li=BBoPWjQ Well, happens to the best, at least the intention was there. Not even a beginner with Gaelic so can't say whether this is right or wrong.
I checked two sources, a book published in 1923, and https://www.ireland101.com/irishname
Both Burns and Byrne translate as Broin.
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:40 pm
We don't celebrate Burns hereabouts, but just by myself I'll splash a drop of Oban ten-year-old Malt into a glass and toast....meself!

Tom
Any excuse!
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

pleated wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:44 pm I checked two sources, a book published in 1923, and https://www.ireland101.com/irishname
Correction- Should be "O Broin"
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Bodycon wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:10 am Quite funny, especially as Burns didn't speak Gaelic.
He never wore a kilt either.
Kirbstone wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:40 pm Just how one could lay hands on a bit of Haggis nowadays must be quite a problem, as due to Global Warming their hunting grounds have been driven further & further North....right up into Stevie country and I believe not a single specimen has been shot South of Aberdeen for a few years now. They're flying at altitude, far out of shotgun range.
As for Haggis Hunting there are now flights of Scurries especially trained to bring them down.
At a secret location in Clochandichter there is research into genetic modification to render them flightless.
It was reported in the local paper so it has to be true.
Steve.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

pleated wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:15 pm
pleated wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:44 pm I checked two sources, a book published in 1923, and https://www.ireland101.com/irishname
Correction- Should be "O Broin"
That would be fine if Burns' name was actually Burns, however the family name was Burness, which was changed to Burns. You may find a connection in ancient times, but it appears that Burness is an English name.

if you look at it as a translation similar to French or German, that would be fine, however it has all become a bit complicated and its safe to say that the current clamour to make all things Gaelic by the Scottish Gov't has meant that translations have become rather silly, being more literal to current spellings, than original names and meanings.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:40 pm Just how one could lay hands on a bit of Haggis nowadays must be quite a problem, as due to Global Warming their hunting grounds have been driven further & further North....
Or South. My wife was able to buy frozen haggis for 40 (including some of the vegetarian subspecies) at a local supermarket last week.