Kilting Diversity

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Kilting Diversity

Post by Grok »

Instead of a single design, kilting seems to have diversified into a group of similar designs.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Kilting Diversity

Post by Grok »

Evolution of Scottish kilts.

Irish and Scottish kilts contrasted.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Grok
There are evolving trends and fashions in all clothing and kilts are no exception.
The fabrics from which a kilt can be produced in have altered over the years too.
Not just plaids and tartan but leather, cotton and silk to name but a few.
As a Scot I view this as a wholly desirable and perfectly positive set of circumstances.
However, it also serves as a reminder of the absurd notion that "The Kilt" as we know it is so
extremely steeped in the history and heritage of Scotland as a nation in it's own right.
Steve,
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Thanks for the information, Grok :D
Interesting to have as a reference for Irish & Scottish, historically worn, men's wear :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :santa: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

"Ya - you donna have to be Scottish to wear de kilt - you can also be Irish - - - or anyone you wanna be"

Interesting about the number of tartan or kilt registrations -
Years ago when I first wore the generic Red Stewart (Prince Charlie tartan) there were 452 recognized tartans -

Now in contrasted it is stated:
Scottish tartans are a representation of a Scottish clan, and each Scottish family has their own tartan, distinguished by their surname. There are over 25,000 registered Scottish tartans.
This is possible just by changing one thread in the tartan design -
So some will not be a noticeable change at all -

Reading both articles - one can put to rest all the formalities of wearing the kilt except in the real formal sense -
It is still not in good taste to be a beau brummel wearing a sloppy kilt at an event of importance:

https://www.esquire.com/style/mens-fash ... sculinity/

Beau Brummel was not a kilt wearer - but an example of fashion out of place/time.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

r.m.anderson wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:50 pmBeau Brummel was not a kilt wearer - but an example of fashion out of place/time.
Screw Beau Brummel and the dog he rode in on. He's one of the reasons that men's fashion today is as bland and unimaginative as it is. He deserves to be reviled by all of manhood today.

"Beau Brummel is alive and well and living in Paris", as the saying goes. This issue with that is that he'll be so bland that you'll never find him because he blends into the woodwork.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Irish kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Irish tartans?
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

I am so glad I joined this forum ...Originally I came on just for kilting . I must own up to the fact that I saw nothing in skirts or dresses to be perfectly honest . In recent times though I have witnessed some compelling , well reasoned and common sense ideas why skirts are equally or dare I say more diverse and better than kilts .. I also suggest that the word 'skirt' is a very encompassing description and actually captures the literal type of clothing it is . Many dictionaries describe kilts as 'a short pleated skirt worn by men ' .
So , whether it be a skirt , dress , shirt dress , tunic , pinafore , overkilt,,any other garment of similar style or indeed kilt I will be very open minded to how the forum member comments on ... It's somehow become an epiphany for me ... It's great ..
Pleats

Post by Pleats »

For those that don't like the word "skirt" when talking about a man in such a garment can use the term "MUG". Stands for "Men's Unbifurcated Garment". I don't have any issue with the term "skirt" when I wear one. A kilt is an unbifercated garment, so is a skirt. They are one and the same. It is just society has associated the term "skirt" with women. MUG breaks away from that association.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

Pleats wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:52 pm For those that don't like the word "skirt" when talking about a man in such a garment can use the term "MUG". Stands for "Men's Unbifurcated Garment". I don't have any issue with the term "skirt" when I wear one. A kilt is an unbifurcated garment, so is a skirt. They are one and the same. It is just society has associated the term "skirt" with women. MUG breaks away from that association.
Sadly, in British English, one meaning of the word mug (noun), is a stupid or gullible person. :(

As a verb, one meaning of mug, is to attack and rob someone in a public place. :(
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

Tazzmac wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:02 am I am so glad I joined this forum ...Originally I came on just for kilting . I must own up to the fact that I saw nothing in skirts or dresses to be perfectly honest . In recent times though I have witnessed some compelling , well reasoned and common sense ideas why skirts are equally or dare I say more diverse and better than kilts .. I also suggest that the word 'skirt' is a very encompassing description and actually captures the literal type of clothing it is . Many dictionaries describe kilts as 'a short pleated skirt worn by men ' .
So , whether it be a skirt , dress , shirt dress , tunic , pinafore , overkilt,,any other garment of similar style or indeed kilt I will be very open minded to how the forum member comments on ... It's somehow become an epiphany for me ... It's great ..
When a person has an open mind all kinds of worthwhile ideas get in. Your testimonial is encouraging and lets all of us know that the effort to communicate is worthwhile.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Tazzmac wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:02 am I am so glad I joined this forum ...Originally I came on just for kilting . I must own up to the fact that I saw nothing in skirts or dresses to be perfectly honest . In recent times though I have witnessed some compelling , well reasoned and common sense ideas why skirts are equally or dare I say more diverse and better than kilts.
Kilts are a bit of a gateway drug for easing into skirting. A guy in a kilt is merely eccentric, but a guy in a skirt begs all sorts of questions. It takes a lot of self-confidence to make that leap! I do like to wear kilts but but skirts are so much easier and can be less fussy. A kilt is to a skirt as a dirndl is to a dress...it's a costume and it's a bit fussy (measurements, straps, etc) and it stands out.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

FLbreezy wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:02 pmKilts are a bit of a gateway drug for easing into skirting. A guy in a kilt is merely eccentric, but a guy in a skirt begs all sorts of questions. It takes a lot of self-confidence to make that leap! I do like to wear kilts but but skirts are so much easier and can be less fussy. A kilt is to a skirt as a dirndl is to a dress...it's a costume and it's a bit fussy (measurements, straps, etc) and it stands out.
A kilt was my introduction to public skirt skirt-wearing. I wore it two times a week apart and bought another because I liked it so much, though I never wore the second; I haven't worn either since the first two weeks, coming up on 4 years now. I much prefer the ease and simplicity of the skirts and an occasional dress.
Last edited by Uncle Al on Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quoting format
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin