Feileadh-mor Ulaidh A.D.1641-1653

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Eochaidh

Feileadh-mor Ulaidh A.D.1641-1653

Post by Eochaidh »

Solid Yellow Ulster Big Kilt - A.D. 1641 to 1653
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eochaidh

Re: Feileadh-mor Ulaidh A.D.1641-1653

Post by Eochaidh »

Saffron coloured Ulster Big Kilt. The original kilt is obviously of Mediterranean origin. There are a score of synchronous behavior betwixt the Minoans and pre-Celtic Ireland. For example: 1) the oral history of the Stone of Scone, other crowning stones in Ireland, the Greek etymology of the proper noun Scot (the shadow of the seat), and masonry. 2) the Mycenaean (Minoan/Greek) sword carved on an Irish stone structure, 3) the Egyptian necklace found near an Irish stone monument, 4) the oral history of of the 50 Greek (Minoan) and Egyptian refugees to Ireland, 5) the Minoan frescoes of dolphins and the Pictish (Irish) stone carvings of dolphins, 6) the feral cats of Scotland with DNA closest to Egyptian cats, 7) bagpipes, 8) sheep, and 9) the Big Kilt the same as Minoan/Mycenaean clothing - not Celtic or Germanic. 10) Most importantly, up until the war in Northern Ireland between A.D. 1641-1653, after which the English banned Irish clothing, the Irish in Northern Ireland wore solid saffron coloured Big Kilts. Saffron was highly prized by the Minoans, too.

BTW, belt loops (keepers) have been on Big Kilts from the earliest times.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Welcome Eochaidh.

Just a query: How do you convert Hard-core militancy, feminism &c into hard cash to buy bread for the table?

In my neck-o'-the woods the saffron kilt is strictly military, usually bandsmen. Wouldn't buy one for that reason, but have lots of others.

Didn't know of the Minoan conection, though.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

Eochaidh wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:23 am Saffron coloured Ulster Big Kilt. The original kilt is obviously of Mediterranean origin. There are a score of synchronous behavior betwixt the Minoans and pre-Celtic Ireland. For example: 1) the oral history of the Stone of Scone, other crowning stones in Ireland, the Greek etymology of the proper noun Scot (the shadow of the seat), and masonry. 2) the Mycenaean (Minoan/Greek) sword carved on an Irish stone structure, 3) the Egyptian necklace found near an Irish stone monument, 4) the oral history of of the 50 Greek (Minoan) and Egyptian refugees to Ireland, 5) the Minoan frescoes of dolphins and the Pictish (Irish) stone carvings of dolphins, 6) the feral cats of Scotland with DNA closest to Egyptian cats, 7) bagpipes, 8) sheep, and 9) the Big Kilt the same as Minoan/Mycenaean clothing - not Celtic or Germanic. 10) Most importantly, up until the war in Northern Ireland between A.D. 1641-1653, after which the English banned Irish clothing, the Irish in Northern Ireland wore solid saffron coloured Big Kilts. Saffron was highly prized by the Minoans, too.

BTW, belt loops (keepers) have been on Big Kilts from the earliest times.
Welcome to skirtcafe, Eochaidh.
Just one point, surely you mean "the war in Ireland 1641-1653", or Irish Confederate War of 1642, as "Northern Ireland" did not exist as a separate entity until 1921.
https://www.yourirish.com/history/17th- ... 01649-1653.
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

Kirbstone wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:11 pm Welcome Eochaidh.

Just a query: How do you convert Hard-core militancy, feminism &c into hard cash to buy bread for the table?

Tom
I think he might have joined the majority of us in the over 66 age group who now buy their bread using their pensions.
Eochaidh

Post by Eochaidh »

Love not hate puts food on the table.
Eochaidh

Post by Eochaidh »

The war in Conn's Half in A.D. 1641-1653. I capitalize directions. Conn's Half may sound too political. Obviously, I don't give a fig about what the dominate society today on the North has to say about kilts; sorry.
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

Just googled "Conn's Half". I see what you mean, a line between Galway and Dublin rather than the present day border.
"Conn of the hundred battles", I would not want to get on the wrong side of him!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I recall someone posting the image of a saffron kilt to X-Marks. It looked splendid, and it worked well as an alternative to tartan. :D
Eochaidh

Post by Eochaidh »

A pattern for a modern Big Kilt. Remember, wool (plaid) and chamois (for the saffron one - I haven't found solid yellow wool fabric) shrink when washed and dried, whereas linen and cotton don't all that much (so use the shorter measurements). Your dressmaker needs a serger for the chamois one. Tip: When you wash the chamois big kilt throw in the same loose extra 4 chamois every time. Some of the pieces of the Big Kilt stiffen up and have to be replaced. Remember that sage advice about not putting new wine into old sheep skins. One doesn't want the new replacement pieces sewn in to shrink when the other pieces have already shrunk - plan ahead. You could toss all of the pieces of chamois into the washer and dryer before dropping them in your seamstresses. But why play it safe?? In case the pattern (attachment) doesn't load either email me or use the following instructions.

Overall: 6 feet high x 12 feet wide when wearing for wool or chamois.

Overlap of 6' high edges (ends) in front of wearer when wearing: 18 inches. Use velcro under and or next to the 1st two belt loops to prevent the overlap from slipping when wearing.

Top of the belt loops (keepers) of the 1st row of belt loops on the chamois or wool Big Kilt up from 1 of the 12 foot wide edges: 28"

Top of 2nd lower row below and closer to the same 12 foot edge: 20" Use these loops before the Big Kilt shrinks.
----------------------------------

Overall for cotton: 5 feet high x 9 feet wide.

Overlap: on the cotton or linen: 13 inches

Top of 1st row of belt loops on cotton or linen: 20"

Top of 2nd row on cotton or linen: 15" For summer holiday on the island of Crete or in the land of Egypt.

If you buy cotton fabric at a fabric store and have it sewn at a sewing shop your kilt will cost about $80.00.
Eochaidh

Post by Eochaidh »

Ooopsie. Forgot. There are 14 belt loops in each row for a total of 28 on the Big Kilt. Remember to sew a tag above the middle loop in back when wearing so that you can reach around your waste with a hand and centre it. The kilt tends to move around while dancing.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

6 foot by 12 !! What a 'waste' of good chamois. I didn't think it came in dimensions that big.

The word 'Ulaidh' to my knowledge would mean 'of Ulster', which at that time had nine counties, which of course it has to this day.
At least for some of the years mentioned 'we' were contending with a certain Englishman named Oliver Cromwell, who wasn't exactly flavour of the month in Ireland.

Tom
Eochaidh

Post by Eochaidh »

You're kidding, right? The chamois are sewn together to form a 6 foot high x 12 foot wide Big Kilt. I'd like to see a monster sheep that big.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Come down to the Curragh of Kildare, where they managed to hold him down long enough for ten Aussie sheep shearers to bare his pelt after a long day's work.
This enormous seamless chamois was used as the heat shield for the turf-burning communications satellite broadcasting strictly to the Nation 'as Gaelge' (in Irish)which was launched from the Pollardstown Fen Space Center last week during the Late-late show.

All true....

Tom
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

You should be able to make a nice warm Big Kilt with the wool from this one-
https://torontosun.com/news/weird/aussi ... ool-in-all