First Kilt

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Max

First Kilt

Post by Max »

Well, I will be in Detroit in the next couple of weeks. When I have my itinerary, I will set up an appointment with Charlie of Kilts by Angus Harvey to have a kilt tailored. Charlie is eager to work with me. I am excited to put my hands on the material and get measured by a professional.

My Sweetie Pie is enthusiastic about me getting a kilt. I am thankful for that.

Below is the tartan I want. I am thinking of a 13 oz. wool 5 yd. kilt. I am not entirely committed to this tartan, but I do like it very much.
highland-grey-kilt.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: First Kilt

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Max
Just remember that you will be making a substantial investment in your new kilt.
Take your time, choose wisely and most of all, enjoy!
Steve.
Max

Post by Max »

STEVIE wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:17 am Hi Max
Just remember that you will be making a substantial investment in your new kilt.
Take your time, choose wisely and most of all, enjoy!
Steve.
Steve,

Thank you for the input. It is appreciated. I have puts LOTS of thought into this over the last several months. The reasons I am having Angus make the kilt for me is that I will be able to feel the fabrics and be measured up by a professional. Sweetie Pie like the tartan as well.

I have watched many videos by USA Kilts. I love the outfits these fellows put together. My first choice would have been USA kilts but I won't be on the east coast for the foreseeable future. Having read discussions of Angus's work elsewhere I am confident that he will do a good job of it. It is serendipitous that I will be in Detroit.

I have never been so excited about buying a garment before. I have never had a garment tailored in every dimension to fit me. I figure the kilt will be for times when I feel like dressing up a bit.

Is there anything from your experience that I should think about so that I can think about it?

Max
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

When it comes down to custom made kilt the price can can very from few 100 to over 1000.
I have custom traditional scottish kilt with family tartan that i only wear special occasions.
Then i have much cheaper casual kilt that is kinda close to family tartan that i would wear at events.
Then i have modern utility kilts as well as loose hiking casual kilt,

Once u know your size it easy to get utility and casual kilts.
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Max
The best advice that I can give you is to relax, enjoy and don't be afraid to play the peacock for a while.
Nukilt.JPG
This is my very own take on the "kilt", not traditional in any sense except that it fastens on the right.
That was unveiled here in 2012, I still have it and wear on an occasional basis, generally without the sporran.
The good thing is that kilts can be dressed up or down to you heart's content, just find what suits you.
Steve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Deleted
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !