Kilt-Entry Level Skirt

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Kilt-Entry Level Skirt

Post by STEVIE »

Gusto10 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:28 pm It was mentioned that skirt designed for men might help to get more men into skirting without skirting the issue. Not everybody can wear attire destined for women. Hence kilts are indeed the thing to go for.
Hi Gusto
I thought we could take this up as a separate discussion.
As a non kilt wearing Scot, I really find this intriguing.
Certainly the kilt is widely advocated as an entry level skirt for a guy. What I find interesting is that it is only one among many of a plethora of "male" skirts from around the world and I wonder why?
One factor could be, that for a small country, descendant Scots are highly represented across the world. One may even say that the claim to Scottish ancestry is often spurious and thus disproportionate.
The kilt itself is certainly not the best manskirt to wear in all climates. Heavy wool and tropical heat is not a combination to be recommended.
Then we have all the so called rules and protocols that are supposed to be adhered to when wearing the "Kilt". While we talk in jest about the Kilt Police. there are folks out there who do believe in them quite implicitly.
For this purpose anything that is not a hand made garment in a "properly" registered tartan is a skirt which knocks out an awful lot.
I have seen a discussion as to whether the addition of belt loops to a Kilt relegated it to a mere skirt, go figure.
Let us see where this may take us.
Steve
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Kilt-Entry Level Skirt

Post by r.m.anderson »

Take this job and shove it !
Take those kilt rules and shove it !

Unless partaking in some formal event - parade funeral wedding clan event - forget the rules.

There are so many types of kilts kilted skirts mini kilts utilikilts leather ones pvc plain solid color generic tartans.
Who could possibly come up with regulations about wearing CASUAL kilts ah er SKIRTS and when and how to wear'em.
Certainly the fair opposing other side of the aisle female skirt wearer is not concerned about regulations applied to skirts.

Just use some good judgement about wearing the kilt (skirt) avoiding intentional over exposure and upstaging a host.

Yes wearing the KILT is an excellent starting point to wearing skirts.
Whether one uses belt & belt loops braces velcro at whatever high or low waist position just make sure to avoid
the embarrassment of London kilts falling down revealing that closely guarded secret of what is worn beneath !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I think the only time I was worn actual skirts in England I was dressed as a woman. My male skirt wearing has been done entirely in Scotland. No one in either country has given me a hard time in either presentation, though once a woman running a shop in a Highland town did give me a withering up-and-down visual appraisal as a man in skirt. I don't count that. I found it amusing rather than hostile.

Those who want to wear a kilt as an entry garment might want to reconsider. The only time I have ever had cat calls was when wearing a kilt to attend a wedding in an English city. It was just once. In a social gathering where you are known, you would be better off in a kilt. In the street, you might be better off in a skirt - there seems to be a VERY strong reluctance to abuse a skirt wearer whereas it is open season on visiting Scots. And of course my experience is unlikely to be universal - there are trolls everywhere - I just haven't met them yet.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

rivegauche wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:39 pm In a social gathering where you are known, you would be better off in a kilt. In the street, you might be better off in a skirt - there seems to be a VERY strong reluctance to abuse a skirt wearer whereas it is open season on visiting Scots.
Hi Rivegauche
Interesting point, I have worn a skirt as a guy in England but never a kilt and no problem whatsoever, actually very well received.
I'd hire a kilt or wear trousers on very specific occasions. Those on which I choose to compromise my own freedoms.
I can confidently state that they are very few and far between.
Specific family gatherings and funerals. One wedding and one funeral in the past 5 years.
Two extended family wedding that I have not attended as the compromise did not reach that far, they were in England.
The decision was based on genetics not geography though.
r.m.anderson wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:20 am Take this job and shove it !
Take those kilt rules and shove it !
Hi RM
Which "job" did you have in mind?
I don't believe in those rules much either as they are mainly based on ignorance.
I merely put the question, why a kilt and not another garment such as a sarong or a lava lava?

Steve.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I have travelled to Sheffield and back by train, also I have walked, bussed, visited pubs etc. in Sheffield, both skirted and while wearing a kilt. Skirts were ignored completely, a kilt invites questions on the tartan, on your undercrackers. Also I have been walking through the centre with my mates and had someone grab my kilt and lift it from behind to see whether I was or not. I can see why some folk would be really upset by that sort of thing, it didn't bother me, they seemed more surprised at what they found.
I find that a denim skirt, whether knee length or ankle length, attracts very little attention, never any negative attention. A kilt definitely attracts more attention, this is true in Scotland as well, I have found that even in Glasgow, my kilt gets more attention than my denim skirts.
I haven't had the courage to wear any sort of feminine skirt in public, nothing too floaty or ornate. That is more my personal limits than anything else. Being tall, heavily built and bearded and getting older I don't think a flowery floaty skirt or dress would work as a look for me and I wouldn't feel confident, if you look nervous you are inviting unwelcome attention.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:30 am
Gusto10 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:28 pm It was mentioned that skirt designed for men might help to get more men into skirting without skirting the issue. Not everybody can wear attire destined for women. Hence kilts are indeed the thing to go for.
Hi Gusto
I thought we could take this up as a separate discussion.
As a non kilt wearing Scot, I really find this intriguing.
Certainly the kilt is widely advocated as an entry level skirt for a guy. What I find interesting is that it is only one among many of a plethora of "male" skirts from around the world and I wonder why?
One factor could be, that for a small country, descendant Scots are highly represented across the world. One may even say that the claim to Scottish ancestry is often spurious and thus disproportionate.
The kilt itself is certainly not the best manskirt to wear in all climates. Heavy wool and tropical heat is not a combination to be recommended.
Then we have all the so called rules and protocols that are supposed to be adhered to when wearing the "Kilt". While we talk in jest about the Kilt Police. there are folks out there who do believe in them quite implicitly.
For this purpose anything that is not a hand made garment in a "properly" registered tartan is a skirt which knocks out an awful lot.
I have seen a discussion as to whether the addition of belt loops to a Kilt relegated it to a mere skirt, go figure.
Let us see where this may take us.
Steve
Hi Steve,

As to the kilt as being just Scottish, maybe a second thought. I mentioned sometime ago that no only the western part of France has many tartans, even so in the Jura one can find villages with its own tartan (http://matdinard.canalblog.com/archives ... index.html) . And we shouldn't forget Wales and Ireland.
As for the aspect of kilts, these are best known in the Western world. Skirts like the lava-lava are hardly known in the West let be seen, same as other (comparable ) garments in (Far) Eastern countries.
And why adhire to protocols if one can wear a utility kilt (there is even a yellow reflecting workmans kilt for road works) without any protocols? Also, for example you can get kilts in various materials, so even with the most enjoyable weather you can wear such.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Gusto10 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:57 pm As to the kilt as being just Scottish, maybe a second thought.
Hi Gusto.
Sure it isn't, and there are also some real dubious claims about kilts, tartans and their historical provenance.
As for the "rules", they can run from the sublime to the ridiculous. Oddly there is one that says that it is exclusively male, female wear being under some dark taboo.
The question I had in mind was more on the design.
Why the "kilt" and not any of the other male oriented skirt type garments that come from other parts of the world?
There is no doubt that the fashion for men in kilts has been quite a success and I just thought, why?
How many guys are really likely to widen their skirted wardrobes due to the kilt experience?
To realistically achieve that, the aisles need to be crossed or disappear completely and that will not happen anytime soon.
Then again, it is only fashion and therefore transient by its very nature so only time will tell.
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I think that some of the other men-skirts such as the lava lava or sarong are worn in hot countries and are generally colourful and made of more lightweight materials and hence not recommended for our colder climes. I suppose there's nothing to stop you making a sarong out of denim or corduroy but possible the material will be too stiff to give the same feel. Also since a sarong is fixed by rolling the top hem in a particular way ( at least the way I do it when on holiday ) it may be difficult to do that with say, denim. Also the coloured patterns may be too much for the male psyche in our staid, nay boring societies.
Going on holiday has become much more interesting for me because I wear my sarongs almost exclusively. To placate my wife I MAY change into shorts if she whinges too much. I sunbathe in a sarong but if I go into the swimming pool she insists that I wear a pear of shorts or ( male ) trunks. Can't quite figure the reasoning behind this.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

This thread made me think to say, st Patrick's day is coming up on Wednesday.
I have worn my kilt out and about on st Patrick's day on solo outings.
I'm trying to convince myself to wear my kilt out with the wife. As we have to go to our chiropractor session and to a small church group meeting.

I am hoping I or here don't talk myself out of wearing my kilt on st Patrick's day. If you cannot wear one that day, when can you really ever wear one?

She disapproves of Kilts and skirts. I'm uncertain if I get a negative or jocular comment how I will react if I will loose my nerve. Also thinking it would give her additional ammunition against kilts and skirts if either event happens.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:31 pm This thread made me think to say, st Patrick's day is coming up on Wednesday.
I'm trying to convince myself to wear my kilt out with the wife. As we have to go to our chiropractor session and to a small church group meeting.

I am hoping I or here don't talk myself out of wearing my kilt on st Patrick's day. If you cannot wear one that day, when can you really ever wear one?

She disapproves of Kilts and skirts. I'm uncertain if I get a negative or jocular comment how I will react if I will loose my nerve. Also thinking it would give her additional ammunition against kilts and skirts if either event happens.
Oh, I have to go into the office on Wednesday, and just happen to have one green pleated skirt. Maybe I’ll wear THAT skirt.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:00 am
Gusto10 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:57 pm As to the kilt as being just Scottish, maybe a second thought.
Hi Gusto.
Sure it isn't, and there are also some real dubious claims about kilts, tartans and their historical provenance.
As for the "rules", they can run from the sublime to the ridiculous. Oddly there is one that says that it is exclusively male, female wear being under some dark taboo.
The question I had in mind was more on the design.
Why the "kilt" and not any of the other male oriented skirt type garments that come from other parts of the world?
There is no doubt that the fashion for men in kilts has been quite a success and I just thought, why?
How many guys are really likely to widen their skirted wardrobes due to the kilt experience?
To realistically achieve that, the aisles need to be crossed or disappear completely and that will not happen anytime soon.
Then again, it is only fashion and therefore transient by its very nature so only time will tell.
Steve.
Offcourse one can go for other designs but it's also how would a shopkeeper try to promote the skirt for men. How to get a threshold as low as possible? I guess by using something that's known well and than one could add other designs also. But in addition thereto, if one looks at the Lousaviaroma site when there are skirts offered for men, save the sizing, they are often sold very quickly. Also, not only models for people with a waist of 20 inches circumference , but also for 40+ ". maybe mix demin skirts and trousers on one rack, etc. Realise: out of sight is out of mind.
Last edited by Gusto10 on Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Wearing anything GREEN on St. Pat's Day will pass muster on the order of Halloween or Mardi Gras !

Don't miss the opportunity - - -

AND ya donna havta be Scottish to wear da Kilt -
ya can also be Irish

-OR- anyone you want to be !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by mishawakaskirt » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:31 am

This thread made me think to say, st Patrick's day is coming up on Wednesday.

I recall one St. Pat's day when I did wear a kilt-like skirt -- when following a bit of a puzzled look from a friend, she said "Oh, I get it -- St. Patrick's Day", which led to some discussion about Scots vs Irish vs Brits .... and who really "owned" what Keltic lore. Was fun and informative. It is hard to get any negative feedback wearing a skirt, and a Kilt usually brings on positive comments and opportunities to 'normalize' skirts for men. Go for it!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

When wearing a Kilt - I view it as a conversation starter - or an ice breaker.
A skirt with a tartan pattern is easily confused with the kilt to the uninitiated.
Shows what happens when pushing the clothing envelope.

Me regular skirt is in the dry cleaners - you know pressing all those pleats
takes a lot of time to get that swishy back field in motion effect ! LOL !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
Epiceneguy
Distinguished Member

Post by Epiceneguy »

My other half often teases me that the only reason I wear a kilt is so I can pretend that I have a skirt on (he's actually quite close to the truth but I'd never let him know that 😉) ironically he's Scottish (I'm English) and I can't convince him to don a kilt!
When life gives you lemons, slice them and put them into your G&T!