Kilt-Entry Level Skirt

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Kilt-Entry Level Skirt

Post by STEVIE »

Epiceneguy wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:17 am My other half often teases me that the only reason I wear a kilt is so I can pretend that I have a skirt on (he's actually quite close to the truth but I'd never let him know that ) ironically he's Scottish (I'm English) and I can't convince him to don a kilt!
Even more ironically, you do. Every kilt is, in reality, a skirt.
The point is that the vast majority of the human population don't see it that way.
In terms of conferring some spurious machismo on the wearer I'm not sure of a rival.
As a Scot I can empathise with your other half. Our attitude to the kilt can be complicated.
Steve.
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

I see both sides of the coin when it comes to kilts as entry level skirt.
The cheap kilts I can see as entry level. Most people in west know what a kilt is.
So its easy to get cheap one and for most part no one would bat an eye to it.
One thing alot of people dont know is the price of traditional kilt.
Some tartans cost alot more then others to get made.
My kilt cost over 1000 Canadian so its far from entry level.

But for under 100 bucks you can get a modern utility kilt or a entry level Casual kilt.
Yes they have them marketed as entry level 'Casual' kilts. To me its a cheap i dont care kilt
that if it gets damaged i will not cry over it. I have few cheap kilts I would wear so my traditional
one would not get dirty or damaged,

Other thing that is good about cheap kilt is its made a lot lighter vs traditional so its easier to wear.
When u look at other skirts from around the world the kilt is still the one in the west that most people know of.
There are alot of woman skirts and kilts that a man could wear and most people would never even know.
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Chirp wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:17 am My kilt cost over 1000 Canadian so its far from entry level.
But for under 100 bucks you can get a modern utility kilt or a entry level Casual kilt.
Hello again Chirp and this is the essential difference between a "Kilt" and a kilted skirt, the cost.
My son calls the cheap ones "drinking kilts". The premise being that in the event of throwing up it is disposable.
It is also true to say that the vast majority of folks couldn't tell the difference between any of the styles.
I'm afraid this lends even less reason for the "macho" reputation which the kilt has gained.
I'd still contend that the vast majority of guys who would happily don a kilt of any style will never graduate to any other form of skirt.
Steve.
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

Well i went from my high end kilts to cheaper ones to skirts,
It could happen.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:30 am
Certainly the kilt is widely advocated as an entry level skirt for a guy. What I find interesting is that it is only one among many of a plethora of "male" skirts from around the world and I wonder why?
One factor could be, that for a small country, descendant Scots are highly represented across the world.
Steve
This forum is in English. Outside of the British Isles, members tend to live in English speaking countries. Countries where Scots arrived early, and in significant numbers. So if men are thinking of an alternative to trousers, what is the first garment to come to mind....?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Chirp wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:15 am Well i went from my high end kilts to cheaper ones to skirts,
It could happen.
Grok wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:23 am This forum is in English. Outside of the British Isles, members tend to live in English speaking countries. Countries where Scots arrived early, and in significant numbers. So if men are thinking of an alternative to trousers, what is the first garment to come to mind....?
Barleymower, I see them as a cop out.

Good day Gents, and my, how time does fly
This thread on the same line as we were following from Barleymower's "Progress" goes back to April 2021. I dare say that there are older ones if you care to look.
Now I will not argue that the kilt is not an "entry level" skirt which it patently is but the level of progression to a broader move toward men in skirts appears to be very low indeed.
STEVIE wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:09 am I'd still contend that the vast majority of guys who would happily don a kilt of any style will never graduate to any other form of skirt.
I'm afraid to say that in nearly 18 months, I haven't seen any evidence gives me cause to reconsider. Given some of the comments coming from America, perhaps it is even more accurate today but let's just carry on regardless,
Steve.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:48 am
Chirp wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:15 am Well i went from my high end kilts to cheaper ones to skirts,
It could happen.
Grok wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:23 am This forum is in English. Outside of the British Isles, members tend to live in English speaking countries. Countries where Scots arrived early, and in significant numbers. So if men are thinking of an alternative to trousers, what is the first garment to come to mind....?
Barleymower, I see them as a cop out.

Good day Gents, and my, how time does fly
This thread on the same line as we were following from Barleymower's "Progress" goes back to April 2021. I dare say that there are older ones if you care to look.
Now I will not argue that the kilt is not an "entry level" skirt which it patently is but the level of progression to a broader move toward men in skirts appears to be very low indeed.
STEVIE wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:09 am I'd still contend that the vast majority of guys who would happily don a kilt of any style will never graduate to any other form of skirt.
I'm afraid to say that in nearly 18 months, I haven't seen any evidence gives me cause to reconsider. Given some of the comments coming from America, perhaps it is even more accurate today but let's just carry on regardless,
Steve.
I think the vast majority of men who won’t don a skirt despite attempting a kilt are hung up on the labeling. Kilts are for men and skirts are for women. That’s the mantra dealt constantly to all. I believe if a man was enjoying wearing a kilt and someone said, oops, thats a womens kilt, he’d take it off. Give him the same kilt but assure him it’s a man’s kilt, he’d wear it again. It’s semantic BS but it’s so powerful.
lithaborn

Post by lithaborn »

Time to horrify the Scots.

I treat kilts as just another form of legwear. My kilts come from Amazon, none of them cost more than £45 (my utilikilt being the most expensive) and they've definitely given me the confidence to progress to "women's" skirts.

I do have Scottish heritage, my grandmother was born in lerwick. But I've also looked into the history of the kilt and feel free to put me right but aren't the clan tartans and kilt rules all a load of Victorian nonsense?

They're just legwear. I put them on the same level as a nice pair of jeans when I'm talking to people about them, only warmer and more colourful.
Nunquam scienter normalis
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

lithaborn wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:10 am Time to horrify the Scots.
Certainly not this one and with a Shetland ancestor it is likely that there is a deal of Nordic in your genes too.
Treating the kilt just like a pair of jeans is really about as much as it deserves except when the spend could be closer to one thousand pounds that is.
Steve.
lithaborn

Post by lithaborn »

Oh lordy I'd frame it and hang it on the wall if I could afford a grand on a kilt!

All of mine come in around the £20 mark. Definitely the stuff you'd find in joke shops or tourist shops, along with the comedy tam o'shanters and haggis hunt certificates, but they're comfy and durable enough for daily wear and that'll do me!

I do wonder about the Nordic influence. I don't imagine as many people would misgender me if I took to wearing my kilt with a steel helmet and leather hauberk
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

I would agree that most men that do wear kilts might never switch up to skirts,
But some do. The comfort level of a kilt vs pants or shorts is something that men notice,
Same can be said when going from a heavy kilt to lighter one. Thick to thin material
There will always be men that like the heavy weight of there kilts,
But at same time there are ones that want a more comfortable fit,
This is were cross over can happen.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Whilst I see the attraction of lightweight kilts (I am very happy with my Tartanista Value Black kilt at £22), the most comfortable kilt I've worn was the first one I borrowed. The tartan was Hunting Fraser, I think full 16oz 8 yards, made by Hector Russell. It hung so well that I wasn't aware of the weight, but I certainly felt the warmth on the chilly February night that I wore it. Sadly, the owner would not part with it, despite having much too large a girth and no likelihood of ever fitting in the kilt again.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Hi GB,
I have acquired a plethora of kilts in all sorts of weights over the years. As you say, a well-cut heavy kilt will hang so well that one doesn't notice the weight. The sporran also has to be considered.
You mention a Tartanista cheapie. I have just one of those in black Stuart which I like, but they skimped on the material up front. I like a proper full overlap, and the Tartanista has only a small token of material behind the front apron, which leaves a gap up front if one tries to imitate Liam Neeson's stance in the 'Rob Roy' film role.

For airborne travel abroad I pack my favourite lightweight Mc Kenzie tartan kilt and its heavy-bucked belt, no sporran. That does the trick for me.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
lithaborn

Post by lithaborn »

I have quite a few tsrtanista and Scottish kilt co £20 jobbies from Amazon and I use them for daily wear.

It's a bit small for me after a bit of lockdown spread but I also have a hybrid kilt that's rather awesome - alternating black and Stewart tartan panels. It's a bit gothy but that's my look as a rule anyway.

Can't say I've ever felt the weight. I've certainly felt the heat after trying to wear them in the height of summer. Heatstroke city!