Sporran with Trousers

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Sporran with Trousers

Post by Stu »

While walking my dog today, I saw another dog walker, male, approaching me wearing what appeared to be a sporran - with trousers. When close enough, I realised that it was probably some kind of "bum bag" (fanny pack) that was loosely fastened and ganging around his groin area. That got me wondering if guys ever do wear sporrans with trousers. I have never heard of it, but it's not impossible.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sporran with Trousers

Post by STEVIE »

I have never seen one and it isn't part of the formal regalia to be worn with Troos, tartan trousers.
That's not to say that it hasn't been done by someone at sometime of course.
They'd likely be met with a deal of derision in Scotland.
Steve.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Thanks for the info. I was just curious as I believe "sporran" literally means "purse" (from Gaelic, I believe) and I see no reason why a guy shouldn't use one with trousers if he wants.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Aye it be dem dangling tassels banging about that would cause me concern - especially near the critical zone.
If carrying your worldly wealth in a sack be as simple as taking candy from a baby - snatch and grab and gone.

In short order - what's the matter bloke afraid to wear the Scottish skirt ? - you are half-way there !

A distorted version of Tradition - similar to wearing pants under a skirt - Egads what is next ?
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Stu
You got me thinking about sporrans and yes, why not with trousers?
The original sporran was more than a place for money, it would have held anything that the wearer needed to have about his person.
The things could be pretty big, constructed from the skin of a whole otter, beaver or badger etc.
The ones mounted with silver and embellished would have been the reserve of a highly privileged wealthy elite.
Modern sporrans are purses intended for little more than keys and small change or a credit card I guess.
With trousers my thought would be to have it on a belt as opposed to a chain which is the norm with a kilt.
I'd also suggest it be worn to one side instead of hanging directly in front of the crotch.
Like all else, it is just fashion but an interesting thought too.
r.m.anderson wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:27 pm Aye it be dem dangling tassels banging about that would cause me concern - especially near the critical zone.
If carrying your worldly wealth in a sack be as simple as taking candy from a baby - snatch and grab and gone.
When I said "anything needed" that was not his weaponry, it would be even closer to hand.
Simply snatch candy from a baby, oh man you have never met an enraged Highlander.
Steve.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

When I said "anything needed" that was not his weaponry, it would be even closer to hand.
Simply snatch candy from a baby, oh man you have never met an enraged Highlander.
Steve.

All depends on the claymore that the thug is wielding -
Fist - Knife - SWORD - Pistol on that order

Removal of the sporran from the protected zone leaves an open critical area - - -
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

I always thought that half to point of a sporran was to hide the "male bulge" which tends to be more obvious in unembellished flat front skirts, while the seams of a pair of pants (trousers) tends to make it less obvious. Some snugger modern pants I see guys in could use a sporran for this camouflaging effect... Maybe the codpiece will make a comeback?

Anyway, a male purse of any type would be a bonus with all garments lacking spacious pockets, and typically carrying much of anything in pants pockets kills the lines and starts to look bad fast. As much as I love finding good pockets on any garment, I've found myself making a conscious effort to carry less in them in any mildly formal or even non-casual situation.

Like Steve said, the hip might be a better placement if caring stuff is the only purpose. I could see some kind of pouch on the hip becoming a thing for guys. I already see small purpose built tool and cell phone pouches on guys' belts (including mine, some days), so why not?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

r.m.anderson wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:25 pmthe thug
Sorry RMA but I'm really not sure why the armed highlander has to be referred to like this.
He was a product of his time and environment which could be highly violent and volatile.
What is more these guys were known to go into battle naked so "exposure" would not have been a prime concern.
I won't try to describe them as a noble savage but the Highland Scot is quite different from the Lowland variety.
They lived in a wholly separate political and social system for one thing.
Their prime loyalty was to the clan and the clan chiefs which certainly contributed to their warlike nature.
Now back to the sporran which in many respects was more like a modern woman's handbag, a holdall of sorts if you like.
Dust wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:52 pm I always thought that half to point of a sporran was to hide the "male bulge" which tends to be more obvious in unembellished flat front skirts, while the seams of a pair of pants (trousers) tends to make it less obvious. Some snugger modern pants I see guys in could use a sporran for this camouflaging effect... Maybe the codpiece will make a comeback?
The bulge angst is rather more modern methinks. The Great Kilt was so thick and heavy anyway that nothing would have shown through it anyway. As for the codpiece, in the movie a A Clockwork Orange, Alex and his droogs had them in the shape of clowns' faces. Could that really become a fashion item? Stranger things etc!
Steve.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:08 am ...
He was a product of his time and environment which could be highly violent and volatile.
What is more these guys were known to go into battle naked so "exposure" would not have been a prime concern.
Now back to the sporran which in many respects was more like a modern woman's handbag, a holdall of sorts if you like.
Dust wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:52 pm I always thought that half to point of a sporran was to hide the "male bulge" which tends to be more obvious in unembellished flat front skirts, while the seams of a pair of pants (trousers) tends to make it less obvious. Some snugger modern pants I see guys in could use a sporran for this camouflaging effect... Maybe the codpiece will make a comeback?
The bulge angst is rather more modern methinks. The Great Kilt was so thick and heavy anyway that nothing would have shown through it anyway. As for the codpiece, in the movie a A Clockwork Orange, Alex and his droogs had them in the shape of clowns' faces. Could that really become a fashion item? Stranger things etc!
Steve.
You are probably right about it being a modern angst. Also, the great kilts of old doubled as a bedroll, and were probably much thicker and heavier than even the heaviest "tank" kilt you see today. They also likely weren't held neatly across the front, so the modestly aspect of the sporran is at least as modern as the formal kilt outfits thought of as traditional today.

I probably should have known they would drop the thing and run into battle naked, but somehow this is the first I'm coming across that tidbit. Makes sense with the weight of the old school ones. Thanks! It's always good to learn something new.
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

I have taken my sporran with jeans in the past,
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Chirp wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:25 am I have taken my sporran with jeans in the past,
Good for you Chirp but did you wear to the front or side?
Steve,
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

I had done both, I found side was better at the time,
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
happykilt

Post by happykilt »

Well, isn't this just kind of a sporran? :wink:
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

It sure is!
Steve
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

I don't think it is normal to wear a sporran with trousers. I have six or seven sporrans and would never dream of wearing them with trousers. In fact, I hardly wear sporrans anymore. My dear wife thinks a shoulder bag looks better.

GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.