Walking the dog (not a euphemism, lol)

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Epiceneguy
Distinguished Member

Walking the dog (not a euphemism, lol)

Post by Epiceneguy »

So I took my dog for a walk in a near by woods last Thursday and decided as it was an out of the way place I'd wear my kilt, it was the right decision, it was so comfortable and felt great, I even felt quite 'macho' in a weird way (eat your heart out Gibson!!!! :lol: )

So today I took her on another walk, this time close to home and a short one and so went in my jeans, the difference was palpable.

I come down 100% in favour of the kilt, the jeans felt so restrictive and rubbed (even though I don't think I'm carrying that much extra timber!) against my thighs!

When life gives you lemons, slice them and put them into your G&T!
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Walking the dog (not a euphemism, lol)

Post by Spirou003 »

In both two photos you look good, and btw the kilted one is the best choice considering actual heat wave. Jeans are basically most of the time not very comfortable. Most pants I wear are a bit lightweighter than jeans and are still warm and a bit restrictive. Other pants I wear are in linen, which is fresh enough for heat waves when there is wind otherwise they're too warm too. I went outside today near from midday, with full linen outfits I endured easily 30°C even if I'm used to be weak against warm weather. I'm proud and happy to finally have found them, it was hard but that's worthy :)
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Nice leisure kilt, but no dog!. In this current heat I cannot conceive of actually wearing jeans of any sort. I'm into the sport of serious competitive dog walking. Nothing cardio-vascular, mind, but I practice all my funny party songs to my big dogs as I walk them. My German Shepherd Benjy has heard them so often that he has them all off by heart, but he just can't quite get his tongue around them yet.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

Once u go hiking in jeans then try kilt, Your hooked, Even shorts do not feel as good as kilt,
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

When taking the dog out – which always means walking down the road and into the woods – I will nine out of ten days wear a kilt, either traditional or utility or other kind of skirt.

On the remaining day out of ten I will be in pants, shorts most often.

Our neighbors have years ago got accustomed to see me in “skirts”. When my dear wife is accompanying me on the walks, I will wear a traditional kilt, however, but always without a sporran. She thinks a shoulder bag looks better, but often I have other pockets.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Very nice kilt, Gerd. Not altogether sure of the colour rendering, but it looks like a Thompson Camel to me. I have one, which I cherish.

Dog off stage to the left. Hate those reel leads, My mother-in-law got tangled up in one, lost her balance and broke a leg while out dog- walking. Not funny.

Tom
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

It is a Thompson Camel, Tom, as you might better see on this picture, also showing the dog. As to the reel lead, I have also tried more conventional ones but have gone back to the reel.

Gerd
GerdG

Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

Those reel leads may be fine for the smaller dog but if a large one decides to take off on one they can build up quite a momentum before you can press the button to stop it. Thus squirrels, pigeons, rabbits etc. begin to pose a safety hazard. I’ve suffered the consequences and now favour a police style 8ft lead in leather.
Kilts are however a firm favourite for dog walking and I like your style
:roll:
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Very good choices! :)
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Shilo wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:28 am Those reel leads may be fine for the smaller dog but if a large one decides to take off on one they can build up quite a momentum before you can press the button to stop it.
Yes. I have had an accident, resulting in bleeding knees.

GerdG
GerdG

r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

If you have two dogs as I did at one time and two of dem reely devices - - - LOOK OUT !!
Beware when the lines cross you don't find yourself doing a hopscotch with the devil !

I had an occasion where leaning over to pick up a pile of smelly matter both reely devices
were in one hand and both dogs took off after a squirrely critter almost yanking me arm
out of its socket.

What is nice about the braking system is you can press the ratchet down causing the line
to vibrate signaling the dog on the other end to whoa you are coming to the end of a neck
snapping jolt !

Use skillfully you can let out the line to almost the end and reel it back in giving both
you and your pet some room to roam with - just be careful of fixed objects causing
mayhem when the leash is wrapped around that object and nobody goes anywhere
until the puzzle is solved.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

I was out with fur ball today
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

RM,
My personal opinon is that reely devices should be banned. We are a family of dog lovers and walking them occupies a significant lump of my available spare time.
My late mother-in-law had two hounds which she walked together using those reely leads. She was alone in her local woods on a sloping path when they succeeded in wrapping the leads round her legs. She overbalanced and broke a femur . Fortunately a fellow dog walker raised the alarm and she was stretchered out to hospital.

The mend was never the same and she limped for the rest of her life.

Our two largest dogs have a combined weight well in excess of 200lbs and eight legs, of course. Nowadays I walk them singly as I don't fancy being pulled over on a slippery path out on the local moor. I weigh just 185lbs and have only two legs, at the last count :!:

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

1st off u have some wonderfull looking dogs there,

I dont like the retractable leash's. I have seen them yanked out of peoples hands and or break,
The retractable leash's can be good when the dog is well trained and so is the human.
There good when in an area were dogs must be on leash and want to give the dog some freedom.
I have always used 30 40 50 foot long lines when training.
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

The main purpose of my kilts is due to my dogs...I love walking with them in the bush in a kilt...It happens about 50 percent of the time guess over the year but definitely more over the warmer months and a bet less in the winter...Mostly utility kilts but occasionally a traditional one with sporran..I used to take shorts too but mostly now I don't bother...
One time I decided to wear one of my Mountain Hardware lightweight ones and to be honest it's closer to a skirt than a kilt if the truth be known not being pleated or needing a kilt pin..I also wear it a bit shorter than it's meant to be at 21.5 inches for really warm days..I was on a road called Elephant Farm Road that led to Mt. Elephant not too far from where I live . Until then I'd never seen a soul there especially early on a warm summer morning ...As I came round a sharp kink in the track here was a lady I recalled as my mother's respite care nurse from years before Mum passed.... She had moved back to retire and lived up on the nearby property... Initially a little startled by me in my different clobber but we got talking and she was very kind and complimentary.,..Never met her again and I believe she also passed a couple of years ago..
I'm pretty sure that secretly most women enjoy a bloke in a kilt more than they'd say outright.....