Little advise please

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Epiceneguy
Distinguished Member

Re: Little advise please

Post by Epiceneguy »

Sooooo, I got some great advice here and finally elected to go against most of it, lol (sorry but my purse strings are a little tight at the moment, :( )and went for a reasonably priced one from ebay, knowing the the quality might be questionable but the plan was to get me out and about in the public eye so as to build my confidence up.

In the end it cost just £25 (I know traditional kilt wearers everywhere will be left gasping horrified & even Harry Lauder will be spinning in his grave at such blasphemy :oops: ) but I have to say it suits my plans, yes you can tell it won't last for ever (& I may have under-estimated my waist size or just been a little too optimistic!) but the quality for the price is good and it feels good on too and importantly fully looks the part (although just a tiny bit snug, I may have to cut out on my chocolate!), my other half has even been happy for me to wear it around the house, so so far it's been win win :D

When life gives you lemons, slice them and put them into your G&T!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Looks good.
victor1964
Member Extraordinaire

Post by victor1964 »

Looks good to me, I like the tartan colours too.

I have many cheap modern kilts and can't fault them, I can't justify spending £100's on a quality traditional kilt for everyday wear. I like pockets too, not keen on a spartan.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

victor1964 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:52 pm Looks good to me, I like the tartan colours too.

I have many cheap modern kilts and can't fault them, I can't justify spending £100's on a quality traditional kilt for everyday wear. I like pockets too, not keen on a spartan.
not keen on a spartan

Did you mean SPOORAN - yeah I am not too keen on them either - wear the darn spooran in formal dress mode otherwise you have pockets - use them - or a cross body (man) bag
or whatever suits your purpose !

Nice looking kilt - unable to identify the tartan plaid - but it is different and loaded with COLOR !
Yes you have your diet and exercise workout regime to take in that apparent tightness across the front or find a BIG OLE BELT to camouflage the effect.
Typical problem when ordering that first kilt getting the measurement correct at the navel waist (not your pants waist).
For that first kilt suggest getting an inexpensive (Stillwater SportKilt) one with the Velcro closing instead of straps.
Mission Impossible you might be able to retrofit the waist closing to Velcro to achieve an increase in waist.
Vee have ways to make that kilt fit !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
victor1964
Member Extraordinaire

Post by victor1964 »

r.m.anderson wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:04 pm
victor1964 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:52 pm Looks good to me, I like the tartan colours too.

not keen on a spartan

Did you mean SPOORAN ......
I really must check my typing before posting, bloody predictive text :lol:
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

I agree that the ones on eBay are good value for money for everyday wear. How many guys would spend £100s on a pair of trousers when chinos would do the job. Equally they wouldn’t go around all the while in their best suit. It horses for courses.
Good luck with your diet😄
:roll:
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

victor1964 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:26 pm
r.m.anderson wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:04 pm

not keen on a spartan

Did you mean SPOORAN ......
I really must check my typing before posting, bloody predictive text :lol:
Is that predictive text with a vivid imagination? What on Earth is a spooran? spartan, spooran, sporran, this is getting silly!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:36 pmWhat on Earth is a spooran?
It's where you keep your spoor, of course. :bom:
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Sporran!

Repeat after me....

Sporran ;-)
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Narrops!

;-P
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Hello EpiceneGuy,

When I first read your request I thought, "For heaven's sake read the posts of all the places we all go in our skirts and I go in my dresses! If you miss the drift that even though the NY and London Times haven't announced it in page-wide headlines, our collective experience demonstrates that most people (i.e., society) accept our wearing skirts and dresses in public, you weren't paying attention!"

Then I saw the photo of you in your kilt. Not only does it look great on you; your smile says it all. At least to me. You look natural, confident and very happy. You nailed it!

THAT is all that matters. You found a look that suits you and that you are happy with; mission accomplished!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

well done for biting the bullet...some of the sizings on cheap kilts are a couple of inches out .I have a cheap Gold of Glasgow ....made in Pakistan
for Liddl of Germany ....2 inches out ....first rule .... carry a tape measure when buying cheap clothes ...lucky I had a tape measure in my pocket.
These burns Night promotions were selling for the second year at half price £25.....you will still see them in the tat shops in the big Cities
in Scotland.....I saw a gentleman wearing one in Cornwall only this year... First time I have seen a man out on the street in Cornwall
in a Scottish Tartan Kilt in the last 7 years.
You may be hard pressed to see a kilt out in the street in Scotland.....
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Have a look at the Gordon Highlanders Re enactment Group ,.... The Scottish Highland Games ...Scottish Country Dancing .....
The Scottish Pipe Bands....You will get some idea what the Heritage of Kilt Wearing in Scotland is all about
In my lifetime ...the Scottish School Boys....The Scottish Boy Scouts ....all wore their Kilts with Pride ...all this is on the Internet

Sadly it is a disappearing culture....I am talking about 1950s ....I have gone to events with some of these folks
Some of my friends moved down from Scotland to the South Coast in the Early 1950's....We lived with the old Scottish Culture.
50 Kilties at our Highland Ball with a live Scottish Country Dance Band....as I have said before ,about 400 families moved with the
Admiralty... .....Then the Atomic Energy moved down also......you must try and understand the Scottish Culture if you are getting
into Kilt Wearing in Scotland....
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

If you look at the other side of the culture .....my friends family were Scottish Privateers who followed the Spanish Armada along the
South Coast in 1588... A young man in his 20's still has the old family name and is working on the Fishing....
My family were on the Baltic Timber ....They worked out of the port approximately 20 miles east....
grandmother was the last to hold the Family Name....I have met a mariner in every port I
have visited on the South Coast who has the same family name ......Smith , Black and White are also quite common.
Bit off the thread but shows how the old Scottish Families have migrated.
Epiceneguy
Distinguished Member

Post by Epiceneguy »

So I've been oooot and abooot in my cheap ebay kilt and loved it, went into Asda's the other day and after initial apprehension got out of my car and went shopping, the young girl monitoring the entrance (Covid times) said that she liked my kilt and grinned which was nice, I saw her pointing me out to her friend later on (you can actually she her pushing trolley's in the back ground), but besides that it was a kind of anti-climax with nobody else commenting but I have to say I enjoyed the experience and found it really refreshing :D

On another note I think this particular kilt looks better with my Tee-shirt out as when tucked in it makes me look more bulky than I am (or am I just being paranoid, lol) but will definitely get the next size up whenever I buy my next one, on the whole though I thoroughly recommend a reasonably priced ebay kilt just for the experience :wink:

When life gives you lemons, slice them and put them into your G&T!