5.11 kilts

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: 5.11 kilts

Post by Bodycon »

r.m.anderson wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:59 pm
Bodycon wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:21 pm How can that be described as a Kilt?

Yes, I know it is a marketing thing and an excuse to wear a skirt with less fear of derision, but why not just call it a cargo / utility skirt, which is what it actually is?

There are plenty decent utility skirts on the market for a much lower price too.
A KILT is a Man's skirt fit for bravehearts and not so bravehearts -
It is just a step across the aisle to wear that other kind of kilt (skirt) -
One's body type does help define how a skirt fits -
Some better and then some well why go into detail -

It is clothing - get over clothing having a gender attachment
Years ago women absconded with de pants -
There are Kilts for women - aka kilted skirt -

We came out of the ancient age -
the age of before the common era B.C.
the age of metalics - bronze copper iron gold aluminum titanium platinum
now entering the age of Global Warming -
The "?" will we need more or less clothing on our way to hell ?

Beware the ides of March and all its madness !
Can you translate that into English please?
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

It's a wrap skirt with pleats, which fits the basic definition of a kilt. Not a lot of pleats, though!
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Jim wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:18 pm
It's a wrap skirt with pleats, which fits the basic definition of a kilt. Not a lot of pleats, though!
The pleats across the back of a kilt or Utilikilt don't actually accomplish much. They are unnecessary for movement, extra weight, and slightly uncomfortable to sit on. This flat back panel design is an improvement in my mind. I have several. Fabric could be better (doesn't breathe well), but a great casual men's skirt/kilt.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Dust wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:35 am
Jim wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:18 pm
The pleats across the back of a kilt or Utilikilt don't actually accomplish much. They are unnecessary for movement, extra weight, and slightly uncomfortable to sit on. This flat back panel design is an improvement in my mind. I have several. Fabric could be better (doesn't breathe well), but a great casual men's skirt/kilt.
Butt those pleats - get double box pleats and watch the backfield in motion - every little breeze moves a mountain of fabric

http://www.lady-chrystel-kilts.com/home2.html

http://www.lady-chrystel-kilts.com/site ... x-ang.html
This one really details the pleating !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Dust wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:35 am

The pleats across the back of a kilt or Utilikilt don't actually accomplish much.
They accomplish style! I once read a Scottish book on the kilt which admitted that the garment looked as though some military type had said "those pleats are a bit fussy; just push them all round the back"! And a flat apron can be a liability when sitting down! Far from looking for a kilt with a flat back a well as a flat front, I would rather get a kilt that was pleated all the way round.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I must buy half a mile of fabric and send it to Lady crystal so she can screw me for another 500 bucks to sew it all together.

I'm not knocking her, looking at those illustrations it is indeed a lot of work to achieve that result. The Roman soldiers had it much more simply....hang a few leather straps down over the cloth, and Bob's yer-Uncle.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

Jim wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:18 pm It's a wrap skirt with pleats, which fits the basic definition of a kilt. Not a lot of pleats, though!
A Hippopotamus is a large grey animal with an extended nose. That fits the basic definition of an Elephant, but doesn't make it an Elephant :lol: :lol:

I get where you are coming from, but I just can't get over the significant difference to a kilt (as we know it), such that it is actually something else.
Last edited by Uncle Al on Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Jim wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:18 pm It's a wrap skirt with pleats, which fits the basic definition of a kilt.
Oh Dear Jim, you really could cause apoplexy among the purists even if you are essentially correct.
This really is just semantics and I have no time for the utter rubbish spouted about kilts and skirts.
However, BodyCon is correct, just call this one what it is and that is a skirt, the wrap and pleat styling is irrelevant to the definition.
As for adding "tactical" changes nothing unless it has a kevlar lining built in.
The way I see it is that every kilt may be described as a skirt but not vice versa and this is an example.
Steve.
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

Its a skirt with somewhat kilt look and name so manly man can say Its Not A Skirt Its a Kilt, lol

I dont care for there kilt. But thats just me
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Chirp wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:31 pm I dont care for there kilt. But thats just me

I don't think you're alone on that Chirp.
Steve.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

I think the purists would deny it is a kilt; therefore semantic accuracy may dictate saying "I don't like their skirt"!

To my mind, a kilt is a form of a skirt, but the skirt is not a subset of the kilt.

Neither kilt or skirt is right, wrong, superior, inferior, masculine or feminine in itself -- only in the eyes of the beholder, but calling it a kilt does not make you male, masculine, nor right! :-|
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

My order arrived and I haven't had a chance to try it on yet but I like the color "coyote" better than I expected, it's closer to a tinted tan in person compared to the photo on the web site.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

They have a dark camoflage version posted now as well, I ordered one. I figure it'll help me blend in with the local population here, they seem fond of all things camo. :lol:
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

So I have many kilts now. Too many per my wife. Outside of one desert Fraser kilt, I don’t think I’m looking to add to my collection.

But I always heard these 5.11 commando kilts were amazing.

So why? What is it about them that stands out?
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

It has "tactical" right in the name, so it's quite manly. :D