Wood working in the cold in a kilt.

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Wood working in the cold in a kilt.

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Christmas time means DIY gifts.
Usually my wife and I just buy gifts.
However this year I decided to make several custom family name gifts from wood and aluminum.

Due to the crazy nature of life, I did not get a start on these until last week.
I got the wood cut on Saturday, Tuesday I got my router table work done. I have Friday and Saturday nights to get, holes drilled, sanded, and shellacked.
I fear that if I don't get the finish on Saturday, they won't have sufficient drying time, before I wrap them Tuesday night. For gift giving on Wednesday. I think they will turn out great, it's just if I get them finished in time.
For the router table work I decided to do it in a utility kilt. I was out in the unheated shop for a good two hours in 30 degrees Fahrenheit.

I had my winter coat on shoes, short socks and well I never go commando. I stayed fairly comfortable the whole time, all I noticed was when I came in from the cold after the two hours. The knee to ankle portion of my legs felt that sting of the warm air for awhile till they warmed up.

A word on safety. If I was using a table saw or Skil saw. I will not wear a kilt.
Why did I procrastinate? Could have done them in nicer weather.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Wood working in the cold in a kilt.

Post by Kirbstone »

We all procrastinate, but from what you say all will probably be well. You'll need to get your presents into the warm house so the shellac dries hard quick enough. At 30 deg F they'll take forever and a day.

You've heard the Spanish word 'Manjaana'(spelling prob. not right), but there's no word in the Irish language to convey such a sense of urgency!

For all outside work these days I first put on heavy duty woolly tights. Then what goes on top doesn't matter.

At a farm food outlet today the customer in front of me was a young 6-foot blonde with tights up to her armpits, it seemed and with a micro-mini just peeping out under her overcoat. I suspect she had a 38" inside leg measurement and wasn't afraid to show it!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Tom , I went to a craft show in Garden Centre In Cornwall.... .One Lassie was wearing a calf length skirt with bare legs .
I saw another Lassie with trousers and no Soxs ..It is not quite the form , but I am still wearing white ankle sox with my heavy Kilt.

We have only had two dawn frosts this winter .Temperature then rises to 12 to 18 C....Plenty of wind and rain every other day .
Very wet with clay soil on rock beds....Two snow falls in two March Months in Six years .

This is why I moved to S W Cornwall .....Last Winter I only wore leggings under my skirts for four weeks .

The Weather Page in The Times Newspaper makes interesting reading.....In Victorian Times , the River Thames was frozen up
with ships propellers and prop shafts frozen in the Ice.
Down on the lizard A square rigger went ashore in a blizzard and the crew froze to death in the rigging .There was 6 feet of snow on the
top of the cliffs by the wreck....That was in March...check out the loss of the Bay of Panamar.....Lizard Shipwrecks

I am going to watch the Cadgwith Cove Christmas Day Swim if the sea is not too rough...Merry Christmas .....Rod.....
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Rod,

You mention Winter seasonal temps up to 18 deg. in balmy Cornwall. Doubt it.
Yesterday we had our 'Santa' row in a very balmy 7 deg. with a gentle breeze. Frost this morning as I walked big Benjy in minus 1 deg. No skirt.

Here we are expecting visiting family for dinner & prezzies and the home fires are burning. A modest amount of inner warmth will be consumed before the Day is out, no doubt.

Enjoy,

Tom
Rs Yellow Boat 'Santa' row. Samuel Beckett Bridge, Dublin. Christmas.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Tom , Boxing Day Report....I do have to follow the weather changes carefully...Frost on the grass and car windscreen on Xmas Day.
Temps I recorded on separate thermometers . 7 C at 0900 with clear blue skies , rose to 12 C to 17 C during the day .
Went down to Lizard Point on my quad bike. I was wearing a T shirt , sweater and sports jacket and best working trousers .
I chatted to a friend . It did feel warm in the sun . Beautiful calm sea and low tide.
Drove the car round the headland to watch the Cadgwith Swim . Colder in N.E. Wind .
Then it clouded over and wind went Easterly. Looked really cold , car thermometer went up. Yes , It was warm in the shelter of Porthallow.
Cooler out of the shelter of the cove.
Temp down to 12 C on a different thermometer at Dusk .
Interesting to note that I only saw 2 fishing folks I know at each of the three fishing stations I visited. Plenty of visitors in thick wolly scarves
Certainly an Xmas Day to remember for good weather.....We are less than 50 Degrees north.
Christmas Lunch was like the Old Boxing Days ...Sitting in a free car park eating sandwiches and watching the sea..
The Birds were diving to catch their Xmas lunch...So probably Herring or white bait.
Possibly heading west to Penzance today...Café in the Superstore will be open for meals due to Boxing Day Sales .
Then over to Sennen , near Lands End as their Café will be open again for the holiday week.
I am expecting it to be colder as Lands End is further North than us.
A couple years ago we took a 50 foot St Ives lugger from Hayle Harbour to Newlyn . Interesting Trip

Check out Barnabus ....and Cornish Maritime Trust.......Rod
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Boxing Day , in Cornwall .Temp rose to 18 C then back to 12 C at 16 00 hours . Plenty of westerly wind and drizzle. Bit of sun mid morning .
Poor again at Sennen Cove near lands End . Plenty of holiday walkers out in the rain.
Strange to note that Sainsburys Supermaket in Helston was closed but petrol station was open.Clothes shops were doing Boxing day sales.
Small supermarkets were open across Cornwall as was Sainsburys in Penzance . Good place to stop for lunch and a couple of hours
notes prepared for next years activities.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Going back to wood working as topic of thread ...One wood working sculptor has cut across forks in boughs of trees to make interesting
shapes with the cut at 45 Degrees to the horizontal . The slice wood looks like a strange shaped island.

Another example was a hole drilled though a bough. The wood was then sliced at 45 degrees to produce what looked like a slice of wood which had been bent at 90 degrees.....Just an interesting way to cut sections in wood .

Rather like the way engineers cut developed cones and pipe sections in engineering drawings.
The wood worker sands and polishes his various sections to show the full beauty of his wood ..
..another wood crafting technique which is perhaps too remote for some folks
to understand what he has done to a simple piece of wood ..

Anyone who has the saws and drills can make strange shapes out of pieces of wood ....
just a sculptors art form .Interesting to hang on the wall.

We used to collect drift wood and polish the shape with boot polish....Driftwood sculpture
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Here in Ireland we have bog oak, preserved deep in our bogs for up to 5000 years, hard as iron but carvable and polishable to a mirror gloss.
I don't do this myself, but there is quite a nest of cottage industries based round the midland bogs where this sort of stuff is available for sale. In the past I have bought a few such items as special presents and I attach an illustration.

There are lots of large driftwood sculptures around also, but these are less durable.

Rod, I concede from this latitude that anything under 50 deg. N is heading for the tropics!

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Tom ,Next weeks forecast is that England will be warmer than Italy....L.O .L this weather is certainly unusual